Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 NARS Summer Series - Round 3 - GT3 Sprints @ Toban - Results, Replay, & Recap

Default 2019 NARS Summer Series - Round 3 - GT3 Sprints @ Toban - Results, Replay, & Recap

Results:
    Race #1
    Race #2

Replays:
    Race #1
    Race #2
    Last edited by Don Fryman; 07-18-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

2. Default

I had a rough start, made a move on Don that was presumptuous, followed Colin for a while since that car is a rocketship in a straight line, then wrecked myself while watching a car wreck in the rearview mirror. One of those nights.
    Last edited by doughboy1013; 07-19-2019 at 07:45 AM.

Glad this one is over. I was awful both weeks ... self inflicted every time.

my personal motorsports blog

The Corvette never fails to disappoint on the start, it will bog down every time.

Race 1 went down the toilet exiting T3, with the Corvette getting the wheelspin it failed to get at the start. Rejoined 2nd to last. Worked my way up to 7th in the remaining 14 minutes.

Race 2, on the front row and.. my slow start lets several cars get by before T1. Pace was good enough to stay behind Jon and Adam for a bit, until Adam finally slipped by to take the lead and started to build a gap, and I couldn't respond. Poor Jon ate it hard in the final corner, giving me 2nd (if I could finish). Very difficult track, but I enjoyed it.
    ---------------------------
    JT Tami

Champion Racing

2011 NALMS LMP1 Champion - #97 Champion Racing Audi R10 TDI

@Greg - I saw you coming and tried to give enough room thru turn one without forcing me to make a run thru the grass, we did a little body rub there and went down to the turn 2/3 complex together, will have to look at the replay to see what happen there, but was all good fun from my seat

@David - You and probably at least half the field as we didn't even have a 50% finish rate for the second race last night
    It was a difficult track to get right on edge but was great fun trying.........

@JT - Glad to hear your thoughts on the Vette, thought it was only me having those start problems.
    Maybe I should switch to the Porky, those things seem to get great starts and for some reason they are attracted to me as I got hit by fast starting Porkys in both races last night

Fun little track but seems to make you pay dearly when you don't get it right and it showed with a more than half the field dropping out of the second race last night.
    Only 14 last night so it seem the summer season is in full swing and everybody is busy doing their summer things, at least that what I'm hoping.

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

@ those having issues on starts...are you turning off the TC (not the aide, the in car stuff)? Porsche will bog just like the rest, but on tracks where I have some time to readjust before T1 I always turn TC to 0 for the start.

Incidentally, I 'thought' I had enough time to turn the TC back on. In Race 1 it didn't work out that way. I had to take to the grass a bit to avoid rear ending Don's slow starting car, I didn't have time to adjust the TC, and spent lap 1 on 0 TC. Yikes! Wasn't so much worried for myself as I was worried about spinning in front of others. Cold tires, no TC in Porsche...things that do not mix.
    @ Don - Am I the Porky from Race 1 that hit you? I didn't think we touched, and since I was mostly 4 wheels in the grass I backed out before the initial turns. Sorry, if that was the case. It was either go to grass, hit you in the rear and push you on up the track, or risk getting collected from the rear if/when I backed out (which I've been burned on before and don't intend to do ever again)
    Could have been another Porsche though, I have no clue who/what cars were in the general vicinity at the time.

Was indeed a tough little track. Pretty sure I had a heart attack a few laps into Race 1. Very nearly lost it heading into that deadly final turn, not even sure how I saved it, but was scary!
    I was way off pace, not even sure why really. Lots of wing didn't help and after Race 1 I realized I had even more wing than intended (errant button smashing in the garage, I think)

Race 2, I trimmed off the wings...but it didn't help much. Just found my spot in the field, experimented with different tires, and tried to pace somewhat consistently to the end.
    Pretty much learned that, for me at least, the medium tires fall off the Porsche (to the point of affecting pace) just as quickly as the softs. Saw no real benefit to running them, besides maybe it kept me safe in the closing minutes of Race 2 (I was getting tired, got hard to focus)

Adam certainly proved it can be done though. How? No clue. But he was flying in that Porsche up front!
    Nice!

Also, probably congrats in order for all finishers in that second one...quite a bit of carnage and a ton of broken cars in the end.
    Testament to the difficulty of this seemingly straight forward track (only so on the surface, to be sure)

Fun stuff, and I enjoyed the track. Certainly ready to carry on and step away from it though. It will take a bit more time to recover from the nightmares of eating a big chunk of wall in that final corner, but maybe someday I'll return to my former self

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fryman View Post
    @Greg - I saw you coming and tried to give enough room thru turn one without forcing me to make a run thru the grass, we did a little body rub there and went down to the turn 2/3 complex together, will have to look at the replay to see what happen there, but was all good fun from my seat
    Yup, I tried to back out after T1 so you could get situated for T2/T3, but with Colin on my rear bumper, space was tight. Colin and I went two-wide through T4 right after that... just imagine!

My stream corrupted, so I don't have any backup. Good thing, since my wreck is a bit embarrassing...

Yeah, the track was fun but did not have an ounce of forgiveness. Can definitely tell we ran in reverse, since there was no runoff!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by doughboy1013 View Post
    Colin and I went two-wide through T4 right after that... just imagine!
    Yea that was super close. I kept looking left to see where you were. I can't believe we made it though there without any contact.

Was having a good race and pace the second race after I passed Jason for the lead at the end of L2. He was defending hard but very predictable, so all was fair. After that car felt ok for about 20 minutes, was keeping Adam and JT at bay relatively easy. But with tire wear and grip change some of the corners became very risky pushing 100%. A slight mistake on L20 scraping the wall at T9 and Adam took the lead. Then two laps later had a slightest of wiggles going down hill into last corner and RR tire dropped on the grass. Very light counter steer would've work other times but this time I had a light snap oversteer also and that was enough to put right side tires back on grass again. Next was tires losing all of their grip and sliding sideways hard into the wall killing the engine.

I agree with others running the reverse layout was not ideal. Although it seemed to create very technical corners, it was obvious also that the flow of the track was not natural, and it created problems instead of challenges. I don't even remember when I did have a DNF last time, was long time ago.
    Congratulations to Adam and the podium along with all the finishers.
    Last edited by Jon Uyan; 07-19-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    __The view is great from moral high ground__

Uggghh. What a forgettable night. Completely blew both races by crashing out. Race one with just Iíve five minutes to go and I think I was leading in class B. Would have been a first class win if I was able to hang on... oh well...
    Hit the wall hard enough at the top of the hill to break something in the front end that made it impossible to drive back to the pits. Race two lasted all of two laps when I stuffed it into the wall at the turn two/three exit. Car died on impact and I couldnít hit escape fast enough tabs some one ran into the back of me. I really hope it didnít take who ever it was out of the race. My apologies to who ever that was.
    Definitely a tough track running in reverse but challenging and interesting.
    Also agree about the corvette when you could use a little wheel spin itís not gonna happen, but too much throttle at the wrong time? Whoops, there it is.