Thread: New Doc Explores Michael Waltrip’s Daytona 500 Win, Dale Earnhardt Sr.’s Death Read

Default New Doc Explores Michael Waltrip’s Daytona 500 Win, Dale Earnhardt Sr.’s Death Read

One minute Michael Waltrip was celebrating the most significant victory of his racing career, the next he was doing what the rest of the NASCAR world was: mourning the death of the sport’s most iconic driver. We’re talking, of course, about the 2001 Daytona 500. Waltrip took the checkered flag that fateful day in Florida, moments after Earnhardt crashed into the wall on the race’s final lap. And although hours passed before “The Intimidator” was pronounced dead, the incident immediately cast a dark cloud over what should have been a celebration of Waltrip’s great achievement (and his first career victory). It was as complex as complex gets. The lead up to 2001 Daytona 500, as well as the fallout, are chronicled in “Blink of an Eye,” an upcoming documentary based on a New York Times bestselling book and directed by Paul Taublieb.

I was a big NASCAR fan back then and remember the day like it was yesterday.
    Was not really an Earnhardt fan but his lose was a real tragedy.

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

I'll never forget that day. The second I saw Kenny Schrader look in Dales cockpit and start waving for help, I knew we lost him. I am a huge Dale Sr. fan, and losing him that day took a toll on me. I could barely watch the races after that for at least that whole year. It's almost hard to believe it's been 18 years since that terrible day. I also felt for Michael Waltrip, Sr. gave him his start in Cup racing and that day was the best and worst of his life.
    I'm back watching Cup racing, but it's not the same without Sr. and Jr.
    Last edited by Scott Beck; 07-13-2019 at 07:39 PM.
    Scott Beck
    Rothmans Racing
    MNRL
    NARS
    GBR

Ann and I were at AJ's house watching the race. I knew he was gone when I saw I think it was. Schrader go to the car. They talked to him, you could see if in his face. We drove home, about a15 min drive. I knew there would be no good news when we got there.
    I have a picture of that last lap as they crossed s/f, before the end, Sr behind his boys.
    I stuck with it, Jr and Harvick and Richard Childress, I mourned with Nascar Nation. I actually began to root for Jeffie a bit, he was the best left at the time. And then I foumd I could no longer get into it. Haven't since. Resr in peace Dale, we miss you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Mark Ruggiero
    DiamondDog/Red Dwarf Racing

4. Default

Not only Dale Sr was lost that day, but we also lost the "good" NASCAR. 2000 was the zenith of the sport of stock car racing and after that Daytona race, the sport has little heart anymore. A few driver exceptions, but mostly guys you'd like to slap the snot out of them.

/2 cents