Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Race Recap - GT3 Series at Spa-Francorchamp

Adrian,

These are fantastic!!! Thank you for sharing, and we could use these in our post-race postings, if that's ok with you!
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

I always enjoy Spa, even at night.

I got 1 ok lap in in qualifying that got me 11th on the grid. My race start, like always, was awful. However that worked out ok when I got round la source and everyone was crashing, I just weaved around them and scooted off into the distance.
    Everything seemed to be going just fine, pulling away from AM second place by around 15seconds when all of a sudden going through the left handed before the bus stop the back end got light and round I went. One for the crowd there! Luckily not too much damage but everyone was back on top of me.
    Pit stop left me about 5 seconds ahead and some how kept the lead for AM from a hard charging Chuck to the end.

I’ll make the most of Lowesky’s bad luck at the moment because that guy is fast!

Congrats to Andrew on his first win and Paul for the Pro and overall win.
    Congrats to all podiums.
    Last edited by Peterftm; 07-11-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TimCollier View Post
    Adrian,

These are fantastic!!! Thank you for sharing, and we could use these in our post-race postings, if that's ok with you!
    My pleasure! Please go ahead and use them in whatever way you wish.

Will try to do them for each race from now on...

Not getting in the practice I wanted until Tuesday night, where I got in one whole hour, I didn't feel like I had the speed to contend and just hoped to drive a clean race and end up with a good finish. It wasn't like that at all.

I surprised myself with a great practice session lap, then topped that with a PB in qualifying, starting 10th on the grid. A whole lot closer to the front than I thought, but maybe I could just find Lowesky and Peter and follow them all night....

After repeating myself to everyone, again, about taking it easy at the start, we get the green and cars are jockying everywhere into T1, so I decide to go far outside the line and I look to the right (VR) and see if there's anyone there....and about that time Ken is having to slow and I didn't see it until it was too late, hitting the back end of his car hard enough to turn him around. I appreciate your comments both after the race and in your post last night Ken, but even so I should have been more cautious and kept my eyes in front of me. So please accept my apologies again.

I pulled to the left off the racing line waiting for Ken and others to go by, and by the time I hit Eau Rouge I was next to last and had 6X incidents already. Time to just get into a rhythm if possible.

The car felt fine, no real damage I could tell, and as the tires warmed up it was really working great through several sections of the track. Then I turned it sideways against the inside wall at the Double Gauche, and watched F3 for an opening to quickly reverse enough to straighten it out, then rejoined annoying cars that had let me by earlier now had to deal with me again. The brake bias was off a tick, not sure if it was damage, or lack of feel from lack of practice, but I found a rhythm again until I did the slide again trying to go too hot into Les Fagnes, and had to drive it through the sand and back out losing spots again. At this point I was inside my pit window so I popped in and took on fuel only as planned.

I did have damage, as it wanted 34 seconds to do optional repairs, but I didn't have time for that. I rejoined behind David Anderson, and after a couple of laps he let me by (again!) and I tried to focus on clean laps as at this point I was at 13X on incidents. It was about this time that I finally figured out a couple of turns I had been missing all night, and I'm getting a better feel for my new brake pedal which was really earning it's pay when I could make big gains on cars in front of me as we entered the bus stop and other hard braking zones. I thought I might be able to catch my teammate Jay for 11th place, but I didn't have the pace and he was running consistent...and Paul Darling just put me a lap down with 2 to go, making it one to go, and when it was over I finished in 12th overall and 6th in class. With all that happened, the time I lost doing stupid stuff, I'll take that result.

If there's one thing I can take away from the race as a positive, it's that in all 3 races this season (and the pre-season races), I think I'm doing better on tire wear than others in the AM class, and really making up ground the last 15-20 minutes of the race. I'm not as aggressive as I should be when racing, but that's what I've become over the years, not wanting to take chances and ruin anyone else's race at the expense of my own. Especially when you preach it (and then not practice it on the opening lap!). So in the end, the lengthened race distance pays off for my driving manner, and hopefully as some point I can put a step on the podium. But this is one tough class, and it's going to take a major change in my driving to get there!

Congrats to Peter on another class win last night, and to Chuck and Rafael on their podiums!

The next race is Interlagos....better get those setups tuned up for heavy braking!!
    Tim Collier

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

The highlights video is coming, hopefully later tonight, but I've had some things going on in the real world taking precedent.

In the meantime, where are the rest of the race recaps? So much happened in this race, I know there must be more to hear about!
    Tim Collier

Lap 1 was a bit of a mess. Got the green in the chicane. Fine, but that means T1 will be a mess. Take it real easy and yep there is a mess. I stop because there is a car turned sideways in the middle of the road and WHAM get smacked in the back. Luckily no real damage. I get going and really the race was about keeping my nose clean. Passed many folks off track. Was surprised and pleased for a podium.

First post updated with Highlight video!
    Tim Collier

I just notice from the video i didnt have a hood the complete race jajajjaja!!! And i thought i had nothing wrong!! Awesome video

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9. Default

Really no need to apologize to me, this is just part of racing. I got a good qualifying lap in, which is not optimal as I was surrounded by PRO guys and I did not wanted to get in their way so I opted for an outside line into turn one as I saw a 3 wide developing with a fourth driver inside so I was trying to keep space for the cars, as I pressed the gas the car suddenly got super lose, I felt nothing, I just spun around and later realized I had been bumped, as I am gathering the car I am thinking "ok that was light so the car should be good", but then I got smacked in the front as I was pointing the wrong way and real heavy damage happened, I had reduced top end and a car that did not liked to turn left, from then on I was in this spiral of darkness, fighting the car and trying to make progress and again my FFB goes away when racing behind Sosa, so I decided to take a chance as I suddenly realized I was close to Peter Hebron, I enter the pits, no tires and while fueling lets go ahead and reset my FFB while some repairs are done.......bad idea......a few laps later absolutely no grip, lost it twice and hit the barriers hard, so 11.5 minute of repairs with 11 minutes race time, time to call it and spectate. It was after all a great race, AM is where is at!!!!

We are suspecting my FFB problems might be related to computer trying to go into sleep mode or notifications popping up as I do not use mouse or keyboard while racing and I race VR so the monitor is idle. Made some settings changes and has not happened today. Real test is on race day, fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Jose D'Oleo; 07-13-2019 at 12:42 AM.

Oh yeah, forgot to say night racing at Spa is awesome!