Thread: Velo Cittą (GTO) Post Race Data, Discussion, and Standings

Default Velo Cittą (GTO) Post Race Data, Discussion, and Standings

Last edited by Joe Miller; 07-09-2019 at 10:27 PM.

2. Default

Wow, no comments about this race?
    First off, congrats to Joe on the convincing win, and to Jon for the seniors win even after serving a DT penalty.

As for my race, I needed a night like this, after coming in dead last in both races last week, and pretty much the same in this mod the week before that. I had a crummy q, but I never worry about that. But from the drop of the green and through at least the next 10 laps, all was hectic competition in the back half. Damn, that was some fun stuff! Eventually we got strung out a bit, and after a non-forced spin I found myself on my own, my strategy of pitting just before being lapped played out well. With no damage, I took on fuel and tires, had a good stop. But some guy behind kept getting closer and closer -- since he had speed, I let Martin by rather easily....the first time. Then he spun a lap or two later, and we made minor contact, but he waited for me (as a gentleman racer does) to pass. Thought I might be able to hold him off for the remaining laps, but he simply out-drove me. Good stuff, sir!

Thanks to Vic, Frank, Bruno, Denis, and all of the rest of back half, for that first half of the race -- was a ton of fun.

Really fun combo this week. Its been a love hate thing with this car all season for me, this race was a love. 1st 5 laps were a blast and gained a few spots before getting tagged and spun around. Got back going and battled in the competitive and scrappy back half...……unfortunately one lap after pitting my throttle decided to act up and could only get half throttle, tried to limp it around a few more laps but decided to park it up in the pits. I've been hit with some hardware bugs this past few months during races which hasn't happened to me before in 7 years of sim racing. Ugh.

Aaron I was watching you and it seemed like you were having a great race nice and steady (which is hard in these cars as the tires wear) well done sir.

Thanks Aaron.
    We had some great racing up front for the first 13 laps. Doesn't get any better than that. It's worth watching the replay if you have time. Really fun stuff.
    We kind of got spread out after everyone started to pit. Jason went in early and I think Gilles went in a lap or two after. Me, I waited till about half way to pit (this track eats tires). I got in and out with no errors. I took tires and just enough fuel to finish the race. My pit crew was spot on and manged to get me out in front of Jason and Gilles. From there I just concentrated on not making mistakes or hitting lap cars.

P.S. There will be one more patch for this mod. We had the engine temps fixed in version 6 but some how they were not right in version 7. Look for an update soon. I will not be changing any physics, just the engine temps so old setups should be good.
    I was just going to let it slide because we have had so many updates but I just couldn't. It was bugging the hell out of me seeing the oil and water at the same value and over heating to boot.

Aaaarrrrggghhh....... blown engine with about 2 minutes left.!! Great fun , had a blast ,

I was still vibrating from an enduro race I ran in Portland this past weekend. I got a call from a team from Oregon that races a CRX, ( same car our team races) that needed a driver as they were short drivers. The car is very quick, all b18 Vtec Frankenstein engine. We managed to stay in the top ten most of Sundays 7 hour race until we had an electrical issue that took us about 15 minutes to repair. Still finished 11th overall out of 48 starters. 6th in class, I had a total of 3 1/2 hours of seat time on Sunday and 2 hours on Saturday. Man, was my ass sore ! and Car engine did not blow up in the last 2 minutes!

ironically the car i raced was # 52, same number in this event.

nasty crash here early on Saturday

https://youtu.be/t0Dc9G8BtY4

and in car

https://youtu.be/fC160YFbqsQ?t=6225&...2TtMzwmziRBJnc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Holm View Post
    Aaaarrrrggghhh....... blown engine with about 2 minutes left.!! Great fun , had a blast ,

I was still vibrating from an enduro race I ran in Portland this past weekend. I got a call from a team from Oregon that races a CRX, ( same car our team races) that needed a driver as they were short drivers. The car is very quick, all b18 Vtec Frankenstein engine. We managed to stay in the top ten most of Sundays 7 hour race until we had an electrical issue that took us about 15 minutes to repair. Still finished 11th overall out of 48 starters. 6th in class, I had a total of 3 1/2 hours of seat time on Sunday and 2 hours on Saturday. Man, was my ass sore ! and Car engine did not blow up in the last 2 minutes!

ironically the car i raced was # 52, same number in this event.

nasty crash here early on Saturday

https://youtu.be/t0Dc9G8BtY4

and in car

https://youtu.be/fC160YFbqsQ?t=6225&...2TtMzwmziRBJnc
    Thanks for the video Pete. Looks like that Porsche was trying to squeeze the gap.

Well, I finally had a race in this series where I wasn't struggling just to keep the car under me. ...finally, felt like I was driving a car!

Close top 3 battle for a while there. Was hoping to find a gap, squeeze by and take an early lead, create a gap, but that didn't happen. Gilles got out in front and I'm pretty sure Joe was just letting him pace us, saving tires and keeping his calm. I was struggling to keep up in some parts of the course and in others I was having to brake early and just follow the two cars ahead of me. I had more early on pace and wanted to utilize it, but impossible when following others.

I opted to short pit, hoping that getting out to myself would allow me to lap at the pace I knew the car was capable of. In the end, that turned out to be the wrong move and I lost some time sitting still in the pits because fuel ended up taking longer than the tire change (about 7 seconds longer, to be exact)
    So, after P1 pitted, that's almost exactly how much gap was between us.

Knew I'd have to make it up somehow, but didn't take long till I mostly abandoned that idea.
    The one thing you don't want in this car...you don't want Joe out front by himself. You ain't catchin' up when Joe is up there just logging laps without some pressure. He's got that patience and just run my pace thing down to a science, and without pressure he isn't going to be making a lot of mistakes.

So I ran some laps pressing a bit, trying to cut into the gap, but it just kept growing rather than shrinking. My advantage over P3 was shrinking as well, and a few missed shifts at key points and a few other fairly minor mistakes (costly though) started to make me feel a bit anxious that I might lose P2. I settled in and tried to be consistent, but it got tougher and tougher as the tires wore. The early stop did not help in this regard. There were times I cursed the car in that final corner as it decided a bunch of on/off snap oversteer was 'fun' (my wrists and elbows did not agree!)

At some point in the closing 10 minutes or so, after having basically caught me, Gilles made some kind of mistake at the left hand hairpin deal at the top of the mountain area and fell back, a lot.
    Finally, some relief...and from there it was just a matter of bringing it home without some stupid mistake, which I was able to do.
    I'll definitely take that after the season I've been having in this thing!

Grats to Joe...flat out dominating pace. Not a thing I could do with that.

Fun stuff up front, wish I'd have chosen my pit strategy a bit more wisely...but, live and learn and intend to apply what I've learned/am learning to the next one.

See you all there!

Good show Joe and Jon!

I had done low 1:22s while practicing but those were one off. High 1:22 was possible.

I ended up qualifying with a 1:23.082 which was 0.084 off Joe's time, good enough for a front row spot.

At the start, I kept my 2nd place and at the end of lap 2, I had a good run coming out of the last corner and passed Joe at corner one. Without forcing, I could gain a couple of car lengths on him but I would make a little mistake here or miss a shift there and Joe would get back to me.

At the end of lap 14, my pit signal came up and it was two laps too early for my fuel strategy. I had to fiddle with the right key on the keyboard to switch it off. That was just enough distraction to make me miss my corner one brake point and I went way wide and Joe passed... Ok! I have to set that damn key on the wheel for the next race.
    During the following lap, 15, behind Joe, we got to some slower cars and I thought this is killing our lap times, lets go in and pit. I took that decision going through the 3rd sector chicane and tap the pit key and got in. That was too short of a lead time, my pitstop ended up being 33 sec, 10 more that it should have... an eternity... so I came out 3rd, 10 seconds from Jason.

I was matching time and for many laps, the gap stayed at 10 second. At a certain point, I could see a few cars in front of me, I looked at the gap again and it was 4 seconds, Jason must have made a mistake or something so I opened it up. I was gaining but trying too much I slid the whole corner 5, the long right hander halfway up the hill, and sent my tire temps sky high. Coming out of the hairpin at the top, I went around but stayed clear of the railing. The gap was now 14 odd seconds, I settled down for that 3rd place, My best finished in this series by far. I'm happy enough with it.

Watching the replay, it shows my setup to be too soft, I'll fix that for Portimano.

Thanks too all who showed up, 17 takers is not bad at all.

@Peter H., When I came out of the pits, sorry for blocking you but I had crossed the end of pit exit line before you so it was my corner. No harm done, just a funny contact.
    Last edited by Gilles Lalonde; 07-11-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Back in the saddle again - Went on a road trip and missed the last few races. Didn’t have a lot of practice time until race day and want to thank Messrs. Whited & Miller for sharing their setups and giving me a leg up on mine. Spent about four hours on race day getting it stable and reasonably quick.

It was a good start all around from my standpoint. Went through the first few corners in pairs which turned quickly into single file. I was P-9 and tail-end Charlie of the front half of the field, chasing Mr. Boynton. Started gaining on Tony and got past with minor damage after he spun sideways in front of me going through T-1 on lap 10.

Four laps later I found myself in P-6 chasing Messrs. Holm and Uyan. Mr. Whited went past soon after, dropping me a notch, but I was very happy with how the race was going. Then things started to fall apart.

Going down the front straight behind Peter on lap 16 a car exiting the pits looked like it might tangle with him in T-1. I got on the brakes too hard and slid off track. Peter and the incoming car made minor contact and kept going. That cost me a couple positions and I found myself again chasing Tony. I got by when he made an oops and five seconds later screwed up a corner, dropping to P-9.

Three laps later, on lap 21, I screwed up the same corner and then had a major brain short circuit. I made a very unsafe track re-entry causing Mr. Rossi substantial damage. Apologies to Martin for my stupid move (I absolutely deserve a penalty and encourage you to file an Incident Review Request).

Once I got going again I went into the pits to fuel and fix the car. And to get my head back on straight. Came out of the pits in P-12, drove clean and steady the last 12 laps and ended up in P-9. Not happy with the second half of my race though.

Congrats to all intrepid drivers taking the green flag.
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco

10. Default

I am trully sorry and sad for being absent from the race. I love to race wiyh you guys, that pleasure is the only thing that keeps me awake till 2 a.m. Since I broke my right shoulder it's been one hell of a fight to recover as much as possible, six months of hard fight and the last couple of weeks have been exausting like hell. I hope it ends by the end of next week, I will know next monday, when the doctor will sse how it's going.