Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skins in replay

Default Skins in replay

Can anyone tell my why my skin wouldn't be showing up in replays? I see skins for Frank, David, Steve, Don, Colin, Jon and JT but not mine. In my own replay I see the car that I did the create directory on and if I look at the downloaded replay I see a white generic car. Whassup with that?

Thanks,

Tom

2. Default

TL;dr version, rF2 is screwy.

Long answer... it doesn't reference the file names the same in the replay as it does on the server or your computer. Each can have a different storage location, name, path, and type of stored file (.mas vs .dds). The only way to get around it is collect all the skins and .veh control file for each car and apply them to the car folder then save it as a .mas file. If the car is locked, it has to be an updated folder linking to the source mas file. It's even more complex now because of the recent additional skin control files for each car. I haven't ventured into how and where the additional .json file for skins has to be saved so Brian or one of the painters will have to answer that part.

Anyone who has used Trading Paints for iRacing knows how simple getting correct skins on the cars can be.

/rant

Thanks Doug. Unfortunately it sounds like it's way above my pay grade. This is something that just recently came about I guess. Never had any trouble in the past.

4. Default

It's been an issue since rF2 was moved away from the open structure of rF1. But it seems they get it resolved then it goes wonky again. What skins are displayed on the server and on a replay and on a client machine shouldn't be this painful.

Thanks to Don Fryman for getting me past this problem. Turns out that an entry of _(your unique ID#)_ placed in front of the file name did the trick. Seems like some time back we had to use our "unique ID" too. Anyway, it's good now and for the life of me I don't know why they have to make it so cumbersome.

Ok here is the problem.............
    In online races rF2 will download all custom skins to your computer using the same skin name that the server has assigned it, which is different then the skin name on your computer.
    Unfortunately the server does not download your own custom skin which has been renamed to match the server protocol, so if you watch the server replay you do not see your own custom skin.
    I have figured out a work around if you want to watch the server replay with it using your own skin.
    This has been tested on my system and proven by Tom Nasella also.

Go to where you saved you custom skin
    Now make a copy of your custom skin, doesn't matter .dds or .mas
    Rename that copy of your custom skin so that "_42_" appears before the original file name
    So you will have 2 skins in the folder named in my case "alt60.mas" & "_42_alt60.mas"

If this doesn't work for you or have problem/questions just contact me and we'll figure it out.

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

Well, crap....spoke too soon. My S397 Astons are not showing up in replay after I'm sure they did a few days ago after adding the _42_ to the file name. The Porsche Cup car still shows up but not my Astons. Here's hoping someone can sort the thing out for me.

Sorry to be a pain guys and your help is always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Well, crap....spoke too soon. My S397 Astons are not showing up in replay after I'm sure they did a few days ago after adding the _42_ to the file name. The Porsche Cup car still shows up but not my Astons. Here's hoping someone can sort the thing out for me.

Sorry to be a pain guys and your help is always appreciated.
    What is the name of your custom skin Tom?

It's named AMV 2alt (I have the "region" file named the same

I copied the AMV 2alt and renamed it _42_AMV 2alt

I'm sure that when I first did it it was there...and like I mentioned the Porsche still shows up in my replays.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    It's named AMV 2alt (I have the "region" file named the same

I copied the AMV 2alt and renamed it _42_AMV 2alt

I'm sure that when I first did it it was there...and like I mentioned the Porsche still shows up in my replays.
    Tom the server has _42_AMV 2alt.dds in \AstonMartin_Vantage_GT3_2019\37VANTAGEC3C7E62C
    Make sure you have the same and you should be good to go.........
    It has to be identical to work (look closely at the extension, .dds vs .mas)