Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Race Recap - GT3 Series at Donington

Points Standings have been updated for this week's GT3 Race at Donington.

Team Points will be posted in the next few days!
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

Man that was exhausting, mentally and physically. Nice run all.
    Went conservative on qually and made a few last minute tweaks which didn't work out great but still got a decent time in and started pretty close to the front of Am.
    Got a good start and (I hope) pretty cleanly moved up a few spots and then inherited the lead in Am when Liam and Lowesky got together.
    For the next 45 min it was an awesome battle with my friendly nemesis Mr. Hebron, as he was clearly faster in certain areas and then I could just stay ahead in others. Very fun, clean racing my friend
    Finally seemed to use some traffic and a few Pros and pulled a bit of a gap and then pitted without issue.
    Came out dead even with Peter, and thinking he still needed to pit, I backed off a touch in the first few corners instead of going for a move and with his faster pace he was gone. Dang, I should have paid better attention as I could have kept him behind at least for a while. This place is so hard to pass cleanly.
    Lowesky was also close behind and completely caught me sending one up in a 1 lane turn, which hip checked me off, but Thank you kind Sir, did back off and gave me the position back.
    He had pace over me and a few laps later made a clean move and I didn't fight hard.
    The last 8 min or so I was really struggling. Not sure if it was tires, fatigue, sore foot, a combo of all. Jay was closing over a 1 second and a lap and Tim was coming up fast.
    Last 2 laps and Jay was all over me - however thankfully let me race with Lowesky as I saw he was slowing and I couldn't quite get him he used a back marker well.
    Congrats to the podiums and hope we continue to see these great grid numbers.
    Thanks again to Tim, Miguel and all for putting this on.

Points are updated, though I haven't figured out how to do Team Points without it being manually intensive.

This 'weekend' just kept getting better for me. A true example of practice making perfect (though I never got close to perfect). There was a lot of effort put forth into setups and trying to find what setup worked best.

I ran different gears (Ferrari Challenge) than seemingly everyone. I found I had better mid-corner and exit speed than most, but ran out of steam down the straights - you know, the passing areas.

I ran a PB in qualifying to sit on pole, which I think is my first CMS pole. I believe I was second at Laguna, so maybe I'm starting to figure out how to qualify. Race start was clean - everyone was courteous and I don't even remember any big check-ups. I think we all deserve a pat on the back for that. I was even up to 8th overall.

I managed to lead the class for a few laps before I got spun in T4. Unfortunately, I wound up facing the wrong direction right on the outside of the corner. Had that been real, I'm sure that would been harrowing, just watching cars scream by inches away from a head on. At least one driver made a huge save to avoid me. In any case, I wound up at the back of the field early for the second race in a row.

But I set forth on a mission and wound up at the back of the AM field before too long. Had a good battle with JTT and then we both chased down Larry, who I just could not get by (was much faster where there was no passing but just slower in the passing zones). We had a good battle for about a dozen laps, before I made a pass in the chicane. Unfortunately, I compromised my entry speed too much and Larry and I had a glancing blow. I did a 360, but was otherwise no worse for the wear. After catching JTT and Larry again, I decided I'd try to switch my fuel strategy, but unfortunately Larry pitted on the same lap I did and there was no opportunity to gain time there. I did sneak by when he checked up for a slower car the following lap and we played a little cat and mouse before he disappeared - not sure what happened. The last 15 laps was me trying in vain to chase down Matt, Paul and Joey, but it was too little too late. I did have to spend the last 2 laps defending from Marco, who seemingly came from nowhere and was on rails.

Happy with the recovery drive. Frustrated to have two races in a row 'start' at the back of the field.

Congrats to the race winners and all of the podium drivers!

Looking forward to Miatas at LRP - will miss Spa, though.

ETA: Just realized I wasn't on the AM pole. Lowesky must have been one of the drivers I passed in T1.
    Last edited by exSaint; 06-27-2019 at 02:48 PM.

First post updated with the Highlight Video!
    Tim Collier

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

I mean i dont know what to say... guess ill see you next race..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricmotech GTPro3 pedals | Ricmotech Minimite DD |Rexing F1 Carbon Wheel | Ricmotech AP/ Extreme Chassis Momo Daytona Seat | Triple Screen 27''

I spent more time than usual preparing for this race for two reasons.

- At Laguna Seca I was far off the pace of the front runners in class, and knew it was going to take some seat time to hopefully make up that gap

- I bought new pedals and I'm still trying to get used to them, especially the brake pedal!

So coming into race night I still wasn't sure where I stood, as lap times and speed charts don't mean squat until the green flag flies. My qualifying went horrible, going wide out of T4 on both my first and third laps, and the second one was conservative to get a lap in. So now I'm starting around 20th or so, and feeling pressure for a clean start.

The green flag waves and everyone around me does a tremendous job of getting through the first lap! The next couple of laps I managed to grab a spot or two, then just as I think the tires are coming in I get a tank slapper braking hard into T7, and slide off into the sand and grass, thankfully not hitting anything. I turn the car around and rejoin parallel to the track, now in 27th place. Ugh, great, another hole to dig out of. Over the next 5-10 laps I pass several cars (I should say that they kindly waved me by, which I really appreciate but didn't feel I deserved!), and then coming through the final hairpin I step on the brakes and press too hard, causing my pedal plate to elevate (haven't had the chance to anchor it down!) and just slide out wide into the grass, and watch several cars who graciously let me by, now I'm behind them again and thinking just turn laps and call it a day. I know they must have been tired of seeing me in their mirrors and I apologize for having to deal with me twice.

As we approached the pit window, I had caught up to Rafeal and couldn't get a good run on him...at this point I think we were running around 17th place. So with the pit window open, I dove in taking fuel only and came out in 24th place. As the pit stops were cycling, I had come out of the pits with a clear track ahead for about 5-6 laps, and could really push hard. I was surprised to find that when the pit stops all cycled I was now in 12th place! I must have really lucked out with the open track, and others had problems when pitting. I can't believe I made up that many spots.

Jay Steffey came out of the pits ahead of me, and was less than a second ahead, while a Pro driver came out behind me, about a second back. I didn't want to lose any time to the other AM cars ahead, and Jay really put the hammer down in his BMW and began pulling away from me, as I slowly pulled away from the Pro behind me! Leading to the white flag, I could see Drew and Lowesky about 2 seconds ahead, and I hoped I could close up and get in on the action, but as we took the checkers Drew finished a second ahead with Lowesky about the same ahead of him. After a miserable start, and two self-made screw-ups, I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am to finish 12th overall, and more importantly 4th in class!!

My teammates didn't fare so well last night, with the exception of Kris who drove a great race in Pro!! Drew and Liam's cars are headed to the body shop to fix some big dents and put on new coats of paint. Luckily, virtual body and paint doesn't cost much.

Now it's off to Spa, at SUNSET!! Better get ready to use those headlights!!

Congrats to Peter for a great win last night!!
    Tim Collier

I really enjoyed battling with you Tim. I couldn’t get by you. Thanks for racing hard, but clean!

Really looking forward to SPA, love that place. Are MX5’s happening next week?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Steffey View Post
    Are MX5’s happening next week?
    Sure are. Lime Rock. Should be a lot of fun in the Miatas

Full race replay posted!! This race had so much going on the Highlights didn't really pick up on many of the battles and incidents in this event, this is a much watch!!!

Tim Collier

Well, as much as I didn't enjoy Laguna, I really enjoyed Donington.

Practice on Tuesday sort of set the pace for the race, myself and Drew had exactly the same time in practice..

I said before the race to Jimmy that I didn't think the Audi was probably the right choice as it didn't seem to suit Laguna and here at Donington.
    Qualifying wasn't too bad, P11, however my start was terrible. As I came out of the final hairpin everyone got the jump on me and I dropped at least 3 places.
    The first 3-4 laps are always slowish so it was a case of warming the tires and getting into some form of rhythm, which ended with me close behind Drew. The next 45 minutes were so much fun. Tim, the main reason Drew's car has to go to the paint shop is because I rubbed the back end off on my front bumper! I followed orders and let a couple of pro drivers through which gave me a bit of a rest, when we came up on some back markers I made the decision to pit rather than fight through them.
    Drew at the time was a couple of seconds ahead so I was pleased when he came out after his stop I managed to JUST squeeze by at pit exit. I even laughed over the comms!
    After that I just kept my head down and slowly pulled away from Drew. I caught up to the pro drivers we were in the battle with and raced John to the end for what turned out to be the AM win.

Jarrod, I was right behind you when you were disconnected. You just blinked a couple of times, turned right and disappeared. You didn't affect anyone.

Congrats to all the podiums, good job I'm not Pro, you guys are way too fast up front..