Thread: NZXT Computer Build Service

Default NZXT Computer Build Service

For family, friends and myself I will build the computers, but when it comes to the office it was always up to higher-ups in the food chain where I used to work at, and they would always order HP workstations from CDW. They worked as they should, no problems, but we had different users and programs at play, and I always pushed to get a couple of non-Xeon boxes for those people, never happened.

At my new job, they were in need of new computers for CAD and Rendering (mine included), and I followed the template from my previous job, but just didn't find what I wanted. I went to both Digital Storm and Origin and configured machines, and the prices were just a little higher than I had anticipated, and the place I work at now is a much smaller office so I felt compelled to keep the build prices reasonable, therefore I cut the options till I felt good about the purchase. Before I was given the green light to order, I found reviews on Digital Storm and their lack of customer service, and the same on Origin, but this is typical no matter who you buy from. I would buy locally, but as I've stated before, in Fort Smith, Arkansas there's Best Buy, and a couple of computer shops that specialize in networking, and that's it.

Then I ran across NZXT's Build service in one thread, and did some looking. I was really impressed by their process, and timetable.

Digital Storm had a 3-4 week wait on orders being sent out, and Origin was about 2-3 weeks at the time I was looking at them. NZXT was 48 hours from the time the order was made.

You go to their website, and the process works like this:

1. Select the games that you want the machine to be built around (realistically, it shouldn't matter anyway, but I went along selecting Battlefield V and Division 2), and select your resolution (1080 or 1440, no 4k choice at this time).

2. At the next screen, pick your budget: $1,000 to $2,500.

3. The next screen gives you a suggested build based on your game selection(s) and budget, as well as the estimated fps for the resolution you selected.

Now you have the option of going through the build screen by screen changing options.

Because this is a CAD/BIM machine, and we will be doing renders (non-cloud), I wanted CPU maxed out. Then I wanted plenty of GPU with lots of VRAM, and finally I needed a great main storage drive and plenty of RAM. This was the build I came up with:

CASE - NZXT H500
    CPU COOLING - NZXT Kraken X52
    MOTHERBOARD - MSI Z390-A PRO x 1
    GPU(GRAPHICS) - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 - ASUS DUAL OC
    CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 GHz
    POWER SUPPLY - Seasonic Focus Plus 850W Gold
    RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz
    SSD - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
    HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    SOFTWARE - Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The pricing was simple, as NZXT uses the MSRP for each component you select, then adds $99 for the build service. Final price with $50 shipping: USD $2,438.90

I bought two of these, and one that didn't need to be that powerful for around $1400 (i5-9600k, 1660, 16GB, 500GB SSD). I placed the orders on a Friday, and they all arrived on the following Wednesday.

They were packed incredibly well, and once I pulled them from the box I was really impressed with the build quality. The wire management is really well done, and other than a couple of small items (one machine didn't have a LAN driver installed, another didn't have the secondary drive set up) they have been just about perfect.

Explaining the RGB to the bosses beforehand helped too.. I'm working on shutting down the RGB, haven't gotten around to it yet...

The i9-9900K along with the 2080 has been kicking Revit's butt, we have a very large project and the model, while small in file size, was getting to the point where the 8-year old computer I was using was starting to stutter badly.

But for gamers looking for a new build, don't forget to take a look at these guys!!!
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

Here's a pic of the box's internals:

Tim Collier

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

I've been using this machine for two weeks now, and it's been absolutely (knock on wood) awesome! Yesterday I tested new rendering software that, now that the company has machines capable of using such stuff, and I'll post comparisons below...

First, the rendering done in Revit (locally it would take over an hour to render on the old computer, and the cloud rendering function took 15 minutes):

Now the new software, on the new computer. 4K render (it's been cropped slightly), took 6 seconds to render!!

This machine is just a rocket, and I wish now I had went ahead and bought the i9-9900K for my gaming computer!!
    Tim Collier