Thread: Daytona Results & Discussion

Default Daytona Results & Discussion

Last edited by Hutch; 06-03-2019 at 03:49 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

These cars were awesome on this track!!

my personal motorsports blog

I had a tough task ahead of me last night with the points differential - 2 points behind Patrice and Jon who were tied for the lead. If I wanted to win outright, I had to not only beat them, but beat somebody else in front of them The Mercedes was clearly the car to do it, and I figured on Jason to show up in his, so we'd have a fair fight and I'd really have to earn the win. Then Jason first arrived in the 962; I was unprepared to drive the 962, and feeling like I was cheating driving the Mercedes all by myself. I was preparing to run standard boost the whole race, which appeared to make things fair based on the lap times in practice. Fortunately Jason changed cars and the boost battle was set to rage!

Track temps in quali were significantly higher than in practice, and suddenly the softs that I'd done all my practicing on were just melting on the oval. I couldn't manage a complete lap that wasn't a mess somewhere, especially braking from speed for T1. Jason beat me by a solid 8/10ths. We were both well clear of the 962s, but I knew that wasn't the whole story since we could get away with full boost for the entire session, which was not going to be the case at race pace.

Once under way, I was right on Jason's tail for the first few laps. We were pretty well matched on the infield, but I must have been running lower aero, because when I applied the boost I had a definite top speed advantage. That was good, but nothing comes for free, and I was a bit looser under braking. Twice I was able to pull out around a 5 second advantage, which was something I could work on managing, only to brake a little too late and find myself in a wall. I had front aero damage but it didn't seem to be hurting me too much, and steering was still fine. Tires were also surviving ok as the track temp was back down to levels we had seen in practice.

Eventually, I find my way successfully into the pits after nearly missing my pit window, get myself stopped, and realize that I have damage repair on. DOH! Sat there for what felt like forever until I was finally released with Patrice a bit ahead of me. Started chasing him down, and barely scraped in front of Jon when he completed his pit. And after all that, continued my pattern of getting ahead then losing it under braking- no more trips into the wall at this stage, but passing Patrice was not easy! I had to be very close exiting the hairpin, it seemed like I needed a draft to catch him and get past. Finally I blew it again on the last lap, and it was too late to recover for 2nd.

Still a good time, and a heckuva season! As intimidated as I was by these cars at first, I managed to wrestle them into submission more often than not, and I found them just thrilling to drive. I'm glad we gave them a try. Thanks to all the brave souls who came along for the ride - especially Jon & Jason who showed up last night fresh off an endure, must have been a long day!

Huge congrats to Patrice on the season championship!

We'll be taking a summer break starting now. Make sure to check in once in a while, I would like to organize a special event or two; it's been a while since we did a hillclimb, maybe I'll look into that.
    Last edited by Hutch; 06-03-2019 at 04:36 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

I showed up completely unprepared for that one

I was very tired after the 24 hour Le Mans race. Though, after doing my final stint that finished about 1:30am (my time) I was able to go to bed, so wasn't much out of the ordinary besides doing about 8 hours in the car Saturday, and the rest spent staring at live timing map and similar.
    All in all, I was ok. Spent Sunday resting due to (as luck had it) not having my typical mid day league race at another place I compete.

Come 5pm or so, I was ready to do some laps and get prepped. Went in with the 956 Long Tail and soon had it at ok pace doing about 1:41 or something. Escape, go fine tune a few things, rejoin, drop connection (damn)....start to rejoin again, realize I can't see [any] servers. Storms had just passed over, cable and internet disappeared.
    Knowing it was Sunday, I was not expecting service to return. Was bummed that I wasn't going to make the race, figured there was no point in doing any more laps, so I went to do other things.
    Hour or less before Q time, I happened to notice service had just returned. Decided to jump in and run wherever I ended up fitting in.
    Initially started in with the 956 again (since I had at least a tiny semblance of setup for it) Then Tom mentioned to me on Discord that Michael just did a blazing lap with the C9.

SO, last race of series, I've used the C9 only once in the series..but that was at Spa. Close enough, let's go!

I'd forgotten what an absolute monster the C9 is to actually drive. Holy..!
    I had time to semi adjust tire pressures, and check fuel (sort of)...then realized my Spa setup was bottoming out in the high speed areas. I semi adjusted that, didn't want to go too far too quick, and just left it in the end. (Side note: SOL mod, with Custom Shaders Patch...there were LOTS of sparks flying from the car at high speed. )

I was surprised to take the pole. Further surprised very shortly into the race when I realized just how much quicker Michael was in the oval section. Rear wing was only at 2, so I suspect it was also gearing, and I might have raised the car a lot in a half reasonable attempt at stopping the bottoming out just prior to race. Between raising it and the bottoming out, it was probably slowing me significantly.
    Either way, I was making it work in the places that mattered, and I was on mediums, so I was content to lay back and run my pace. I was impressed by [what appeared to be, from my seat anyways] Michael's ability to maintain the softs. And I intended to actually use 2 sets of mediums, so I hadn't been very easy on them. When I realized what it'd take to have a shot at the win, I switched it up and decided I'd not take tires in an attempt to save time. It worked, considering I'd taken 90 liters to start. Fuel went it quick, and I was gone!

After that it was just a test of patience, and keeping up on the wheel so when the inevitable "bites" happened, I was able to correct.
    The C9 constantly wants to kill you, and it's very difficult staying within the limits and not overdriving it.

Was happy to pull out another win in the series, but my DNF destroyed any chance I had at the front of the championship. That was a tough one, but it's always that one
    It was definitely a good series, and I'm glad these cars were given some time here.

Thanks, Michael, for your work running this show

A hillclimb sounds fun. I'll be the first sign up when you publish the details

That turned out to be quite an exciting race!
    I did have a reasonable amount of preparation, but really didn't touch much on the car, it was near identical to Hockhenheim setup. I did max out the aero, front damper tweaks, optimal gearing. Figured I could go with full turbo boost all race long if necessary.
    I went for hard tires, they served me well in the last two races, but wear was really lower here. So I streched until 24th lap to pit and went for Medium to finish.

So I "just" had to finish in front of Jon and Michael to clinch the championship. When I saw Mike's times, I figured the second part wasn't going to happen....
    And qualification gave me reason to be worried, Jon was as fast as I was, a tad faster in fact (as usual )
    Then I made a false start on a no pressure rolling start, doh! teleported to pits. This wasn't going the way it was supposed to.
    The thin field allowed for a quick comeback within 1-2 sec of Jon. It was non-stop fight until pit time. I was lucky enough to keep within striking distance despite a few mistakes.

Got out of pit sequence in front of Jon AND Michael. The battle resumed with both of them. However I couldn't keep up with C9 top speed and figured we'd get a tie for 1st place when Michael faded into the distance.
    Fast forward to last lap, I see a could of smoke outside the track, and all of a sudden I'm second! Wow!!! That was unexpected!!!

Congrats to Jason for the win, you were clearly the dominant force this season. Too bad about that DNF.

Honestly didn't expect to like those cars as much as I did. Even go my right foot trained to pre-spool the turbo by dabbing the accelerator without having to think about it anymore.

PS : I'm working a vintage track (hopefully ready for next season), I'll need some beta testers very soon for physical mesh settings. Stay tuned I'll post in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whited View Post
    I showed up completely unprepared for that one

I was very tired after the 24 hour Le Mans race. Though, after doing my final stint that finished about 1:30am (my time) I was able to go to bed, so wasn't much out of the ordinary besides doing about 8 hours in the car Saturday, and the rest spent staring at live timing map and similar.
    All in all, I was ok. Spent Sunday resting due to (as luck had it) not having my typical mid day league race at another place I compete.

Come 5pm or so, I was ready to do some laps and get prepped. Went in with the 956 Long Tail and soon had it at ok pace doing about 1:41 or something. Escape, go fine tune a few things, rejoin, drop connection (damn)....start to rejoin again, realize I can't see [any] servers. Storms had just passed over, cable and internet disappeared.
    Knowing it was Sunday, I was not expecting service to return. Was bummed that I wasn't going to make the race, figured there was no point in doing any more laps, so I went to do other things.
    Hour or less before Q time, I happened to notice service had just returned. Decided to jump in and run wherever I ended up fitting in.
    Initially started in with the 956 again (since I had at least a tiny semblance of setup for it) Then Tom mentioned to me on Discord that Michael just did a blazing lap with the C9.

SO, last race of series, I've used the C9 only once in the series..but that was at Spa. Close enough, let's go!

I'd forgotten what an absolute monster the C9 is to actually drive. Holy..!
    I had time to semi adjust tire pressures, and check fuel (sort of)...then realized my Spa setup was bottoming out in the high speed areas. I semi adjusted that, didn't want to go too far too quick, and just left it in the end. (Side note: SOL mod, with Custom Shaders Patch...there were LOTS of sparks flying from the car at high speed. )

I was surprised to take the pole. Further surprised very shortly into the race when I realized just how much quicker Michael was in the oval section. Rear wing was only at 2, so I suspect it was also gearing, and I might have raised the car a lot in a half reasonable attempt at stopping the bottoming out just prior to race. Between raising it and the bottoming out, it was probably slowing me significantly.
    Either way, I was making it work in the places that mattered, and I was on mediums, so I was content to lay back and run my pace. I was impressed by [what appeared to be, from my seat anyways] Michael's ability to maintain the softs. And I intended to actually use 2 sets of mediums, so I hadn't been very easy on them. When I realized what it'd take to have a shot at the win, I switched it up and decided I'd not take tires in an attempt to save time. It worked, considering I'd taken 90 liters to start. Fuel went it quick, and I was gone!

After that it was just a test of patience, and keeping up on the wheel so when the inevitable "bites" happened, I was able to correct.
    The C9 constantly wants to kill you, and it's very difficult staying within the limits and not overdriving it.

Was happy to pull out another win in the series, but my DNF destroyed any chance I had at the front of the championship. That was a tough one, but it's always that one
    It was definitely a good series, and I'm glad these cars were given some time here.

Thanks, Michael, for your work running this show

A hill climb sounds fun. I'll be the first sign up when you publish the details
    WOW! Great result for not practicing. You should try that more often Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post

Huge congrats to Patrice on the season championship!

We'll be taking a summer break starting now. Make sure to check in once in a while, I would like to organize a special event or two; it's been a while since we did a hillclimb, maybe I'll look into that.
    Grats to all finishers and to Patrice on the championship!

Thanks for running the series Mike. Summer hill climb could be interesting.

Just wanted to confirm that I did not leave the server by choice. My PC reset on its own with no error messages or such as soon as I left the pits. For some reason this combination of sim/car had been doing that for most of my practice. Even though I tried some adjustments, they did nothing to stave off the root cause. Funny thing is it doesn't do this in AMS or R3E. So I will have to look into it more.

Until next time, keep the pedal to the metal.