Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat 6

Default Flat 6

Ain't put much time in for the practice race because of trying to come to grips with the Flat6. How in the hell do you keep from losing the back end? There are not many setup changes to be made so it seems like it should be pretty easy but to this point I've not found a thing that helps me keep the rear under me. Obviously, my driving has something to do with it and I've tried "helping" that end of it but there are some places (I've only tested Portimao) that the car over rotates....or I have to go through there so slowly that I might as well be stopped. (And no jokes about me always looking like I'm stopped, OK??) I've tried high wing, high TC, softer rear bar but I'm still getting the same result. It actually leads me to believe that I don't know how to drive this car (uhhhhhh, no jokes again doods!) so help in that area as well as setup will be welcomed. You'd think I hate the damn car but that's not the case, actually I like it. Just can't drive it.

It is set up to only work with manual clutch so every time you donwshift it spins the back end. Plus I don't think TC or ABS work with this mod
    2012 CMS North American and World Divison P1 Champion

Case-HAF922, Motherboard-ASUS-ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING, Processor-I5-9600K, Ram-32GB GSKILL,DVD Burner-ASUS X 2, Power Supply-Corsair HX850, Wheel-T500-Ferrari F1 Rim, Monitor-LG 42" 4K, Video Card-EVGA GeForce GTX 980 ti 6GB
    "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, then you are no longer a racing driver. I am not designed to come 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th. I am designed to win.." Ayrton Senna

You need to manually blip the throttle while down shifting. Apply some throttle under braking right as you downshift. It takes practice to get used to it and get an idea of how much throttle is needed at certain times.
    ---------------------------
    JT Tami

Champion Racing

2011 NALMS LMP1 Champion - #97 Champion Racing Audi R10 TDI

Tom, didn't you just get new pedals?
    Now is the perfect time to practice heel and toe!
    It's funny but in real life, I do "big toe and little toe". I put the ball of my big toe on the brake and then I rotate the side of my foot until my small toe presses the throttle down. I keep my heel on the floor.
    The brake and gas pedal need to be pretty close together for this to work though.
    Take a look at the other active thread where Jason posted a video of a guy dancing on the pedals while racing his Porsche.
    Paul

Like this...

Yeah, I know, I'm sure you know heel/toe technique. Video's more than that though, pay more attention to the timing (because it's different than similar technique with fully manual H pattern)

And like others said, you don't actually need clutch if you don't want to/can't get along with pedals, etc.
    A fairly aggressive throttle blip is required in these cars on downshift though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer23 View Post
    It is set up to only work with manual clutch so every time you donwshift it spins the back end. Plus I don't think TC or ABS work with this mod
    There's no actual "manual clutch" in rF2 because there is no gearbox simulation. There's no way to actual turn 'on/off' 'manual clutch'.
    And there is no TC or ABS in these cars

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm actually not having so much of an issue with spinning on downshifting (except now and then when I get into 1st by mistake. ) it's more of an over rotation from mid corner, off. I'm thinking it's my driving more than anything. To this point all my practice has been on a green track so I hope I'll see some improvement when I rubber up the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm actually not having so much of an issue with spinning on downshifting (except now and then when I get into 1st by mistake. ) it's more of an over rotation from mid corner, off. I'm thinking it's my driving more than anything. To this point all my practice has been on a green track so I hope I'll see some improvement when I rubber up the track.
    Just downshifting too much, or have a double shift issue? If the latter, the json file contains a parameter that allows you to set a delay between shifts. "Repetitive shifts" or something to the effect. When using sequential or paddles, I have to set it to "3" or "4" which gives something like 400-450ms delay between shifts to eliminate gear shift debouncing. Effective, but if the problem is the former, can't help ya there...hehe

I haven't drove the car since the most recent updates from the creators. Can't remember what was locked up and unlocked in the setup menu. Is differential locked here, or open to work? Adjustments there could help with that issue, if possible.
    Generally softening the car can help too. Stiffen front, soften rear. All the normal stuff that brings in some understeer.

IIRC, last time I drove these things, pretty sure they are quite prone to lift off oversteer, so maybe try to stay in the throttle a bit when cornering (but again, differential work would probably help here if that is available in the garage)...definitely don't just dump it and let it coast...lol.

[QUOTE=Jason Whited;259240]Just downshifting too much, or have a double shift issue? If the latter, the json file contains a parameter that allows you to set a delay between shifts. "Repetitive shifts" or something to the effect. When using sequential or paddles, I have to set it to "3" or "4" which gives something like 400-450ms delay between shifts to eliminate gear shift debouncing. Effective, but if the problem is the former, can't help ya there...hehe

Unfortunately little chassis stuff is available to play with. Only wheel range, rear wing, radiator opening, ride hgt., ARBs, toe, tire compound and pressure, camber and brakes are adjustable. The driving tips are probably what I need to pay attention too.....but I don't see any heel/toe in this old coot's future.

So I'm with you guys in struggling with the Flat6, but I think I've finally got it to a point where its manageable. I dare not say 'somewhat comfortable' as I know where that leads, but I think after a week or so a lot of the blips/clutching will be muscle memory. Portimao is a pretty sweet track, and I'm having a good time learning this one, can't wait to get out there and get rollin' =)
    Derek Steffeck
    Team Horses Arse - "Bringin' up da rear"