Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Race Recap - GT3 Series at Monza

Hello guys!!!

First thing is I want to apologize for once the race ended I had to go without saying nothing and sticking around to talk to you all! I like to hear from everyone there doubts and questions from race to help everyone sorted out!! I had a really bad shoulders/ neck pain that was killing me since the afternoon and once the race ended got up, got dressed and direct to the hospital.. arrived home at 5am and now at work!! Everything is ok now! So PLEASE feel free to contact me if any questions, doubts came from the test race last night.. of any topic! Take the time to read the results and remember to set all your skins with numberplates for the series, remember to set your assign # in iRacing.. This 2 things will be required for the series so lets get it right with time and not at last moment so you dont get disqualified once the season starts for this simple things. Again if you guys have anyquestion, email me, pm me!!! I'll get you sorted out!

Other thing is, dont loose perspective on what place your runing overall... we have 3 classes, 75 minutes is a lot of time and things happen.. Go check your results and see whats really the important thing, what place you finish in your class. Thats your relative to your progress.. forget of how did the ftd of other class, whats their pace! You at the end evaluate your progress how you did against your class!

Part II ejjeeej. GUYS you all did awesome! really great concentration and perseverance of continue to drive no matter what happens, spin, crash, out of pace, anything... you take a deep breath and keep to maximize you effort!! thats what it counts and is key for improvement!!

NOW the race,
    Qualy, I couldnt put my best laptime on the board cause lack of concentration and even I could it would barely get me in to the 2 row.. so 6th Is OK.. WE have so much talent that I know consistency is the key. .3 errors in a lap can be costly, not to pressure yourself but tha demonstrates the great competition we have.. I got a bit on the start abd found a hole on the outside into T1 alongside 2 row cars... Really tight spot.. when braked a part of my rear tire touch the grass and it kins of unsettle the car causing a scratch on Santana's AMG.. sorry about that but we managed, to continue just fine and we all got thru T1 unharmed.. Like 7 cars at a time jajajaja!!

After that i had a slowdown getting into T1 fighting for position with Kenneth and he gave me room but I just wanted to make sure I didnt touch him cause thats not how I like to pass... so that cost me to be back to 8th or 9th... After that was all about puttin the hammer down, minimize my mistakes and trying to be as consistent as possible! in all that had some awesome racing with plenty of drivers witch all managed it so perfectly!! had to manage tire wear to have a good race car at the end and it paid off!! cought the leaders that were driving so good it was really hard, .1 or ,2 a lap and had to be perfect!! At the end I think Kris just had less tire than me and it helped me make a move to get into the lead!!

Love this group, cant wait for next one!!

Tonight Ill post some pics!!

My race....highs and lows. Except that they came in reverse order....

Qualifying went poorly, spun in the parabolica on the my first, set my time with a second lap that was at least half a second off, then lost it in the parabolica again on the third lap....pulled over. Start outside Top 10, that's fine with me, it's a long race!

At the start, was working through T1 very carefully and after the first lap was behind a 5-6 car battle that lasted for several laps. I was right behind Scott Burke that whole time, and got into him twice. The first time was through the second chicane, and he had to whoa up from a battle ahead of us, and I didn't stop in time. It was just a tap, and hopefully no damage, but I should have been more careful that early. Then a couple of laps later we go through T1, and just ahead Drew was bumped from behind and spun, but I didn't see it but Scott did, slowing to miss the carnage, but I hit Scott and turned him around. I slowed off to the side and waited for Scott (and many others!) to pass by before rejoining. I'm really sorry Scott, I hope that didn't lead to later problems you had.

After that, I managed to gain on cars in front while the team discussed fuel and tires/no tires, then it came time to pit. I rushed into pit entry and locked up overshooting the cones, getting a speeding penalty 15-second hold on my gas only stop. Ugh. Came out, and pushed hard to make up ground. At this point I was back in 18th place, but my tires were pretty fresh and I was gaining ground on cars ahead of me, and worked up to 13th with 12th not far ahead. I pushed too hard out of Ascari, spun to the left and nosed into the wall hard.

Limped back to the pits to watch the last 3 laps from the TV cameras...terrible night for me, but overall a really fun time and it was great to see so many out for the race, and it was a great race all around in my opinion!

Congrats to class winners and podiums, and really to everyone who came out.

Next week's race will be the MX-5's at Daytona RC, so prepare yourself!

The next GT3 race will be May 29th at Imola....aw great, more chicanes.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift CV1

One unfortunate incident cost me a good result, and apologies again to Drew. The racing was really, REALLY close and I just couldn't react in time when you had to suddenly slow... Got a flattened nose and, since I was a practice event, pitted for full repairs. That put me down more than a lap but I came out among the leaders which gave me the opportunity to try myself against the fast guys. And it worked better than I could have hoped - Miguel gave us a great setup and I tweaked it just a little bit to balance out the tire temps and wear. There were no dramatic passes or anything, but I was able to drive at their pace more or less, and after I came out from my splash-and-go with about 10 to go, I got on Liam's bumper and stayed there for the remainder of the race. I had slightly fresher tires and could tell that his were getting iffy at the end but he made no mistakes and I wasn't about to force a pass on a car a lap ahead and in the top 5, so I just rode the draft all the way to the finish.

It went really well though I'd like to ask that if you just have chatter, you set up a private channel rather than broadcasting it to all teams. That can get distracting. Also, there's a time for defending your position at all costs - like the last lapl. But early in the race, if it's clear a car behind you is quicker, you can make everyone's race more pleasant by not constantly slamming the door and creating situations which can go badly for everyone.

Welcome to all the new guys and nice to see all the familiar faces from last season. This is going to be great fun. And a reminder that we always have places open for CMS' races in the VRS Endurance series in these same tracks and using the Ferrari. Races are Saturday at 3 pm ET and Sunday at 1 pm Eastern. Fun is why we're there and everyone is welcome.

Congrats to the podium and see you next time.

Unfortunately I came into the race completely and utterly cold last night. I signed on just to practice only to find out from Larry and John that there was a pre-season race scheduled. - I've been so focused on our upcoming move and have been so busy at work that I haven't been following very closely along in the forums or in Discord for the past couple of weeks. In fact, I've driven more miles in a U-Haul truck over the past week and a half than I have in VR space and it certainly showed last night.

First, I owe a big apology to Paul and someone else (not sure who, cause I'll need to check the replay) for the knock in Parabolica. It looked like Paul was held up a bit by someone right front of him so I ducked inside and tried to haul it in and keep in tucked in tight, but ended up losing the rear end and hip-checked Paul into a spin as a result of my half spin. For the race I just grabbed Miguel's version 3 setup completely untried and untested and went with that. I'm looking forward to trying some of the recent changes to the setup because for me it felt like the car felt very darty coming out of Lesmos 2 and through the Ascari esses, especially if I was accelerating off a curb. As it was I kept 1-x'ing exiting Ascari.

The start of the race was a little rough at the chicane, as any race here tends to be. I don't recall hitting anyone, but came real close at one point and ended up coming to a full stop waiting for traffic to clear a bit. In fact, I remember thinking at the time just how much like rush hour traffic it was. Later in the race there were a few moments when the racing was a little on the elbows-out side of things, but all in all it was nice to be out on track again. Since it was just a practice race, I went ahead and did a full stop with optional repairs, which of course cost me several positions, but being a practice race it was good to test a full stop. Meanwhile David and I were talking about the tires and whether or not a double stint on the tires seemed reasonable. He double-stinted his tires while I changed mine and we compared notes and came to the conclusion that a double stint on the tires would be doable come this weekend.

Anyway it was fun to be racing again. Big thanks to Tim and Miguel for pulling season 2 together. It's nice to have something to look forward to again midweek.
    Last edited by Mike Tyler; 05-17-2019 at 08:09 PM.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Peterftm View Post
    Oh God, so embarrassed to be "that guy" at T1 lap1. I took to the grass to try and avoid a car and slid into the chicane.
    So sorry to Lowesky for putting him on his roof.
    All good!!

Monza starts are sometimes chaotic, long run to a super slow corner.

6. Default

My race was an interesting one.

For one it was my first race in the Ferrari GT3 ever, and first time ever racing in a team environment and on a league where the standard of racing is usually higher, so the pressure was on!! We have to add that I am running a slightly modified by me Base set up (New to Discord so still learning it was not able to find a shared set up) and surprised myself with a good qualification time.

So here I am, sitting on the grid out of position (expected to be around mid pack) with Ledesma in front of me and Miguel on my left rear......yeah no pressure right....I also suffer from the Raikonnen syndrome, always losing spots on the first lap. So the green drops, keeping an eye on Ledesma and looking for Miguel, on the brakes for the chicane all I am saying to myself is keep it tight, stay in control, then Miguel flies by on the outside and next thing I know I am on my roof, not knowing what happened, car is banged up but feels fast after so I continue. About 6 laps later hell breaks lose on Parabolica, I am trying to go by the mess and BAMM on the roof again JAJAJAJA this time damage is too much so lost 5 laps.

After, car still had some body damage so no top end, settled to a 1:49.xxx a lap pace and finished the race. It was a bit of a lonely race but it was good practice. Next time we will try to do better!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat77 View Post
    One unfortunate incident cost me a good result, and apologies again to Drew. The racing was really, REALLY close and I just couldn't react in time when you had to suddenly slow... Got a flattened nose and, since I was a practice event, pitted for full repairs. That put me down more than a lap but I came out among the leaders which gave me the opportunity to try myself against the fast guys. And it worked better than I could have hoped - Miguel gave us a great setup and I tweaked it just a little bit to balance out the tire temps and wear. There were no dramatic passes or anything, but I was able to drive at their pace more or less, and after I came out from my splash-and-go with about 10 to go, I got on Liam's bumper and stayed there for the remainder of the race. I had slightly fresher tires and could tell that his were getting iffy at the end but he made no mistakes and I wasn't about to force a pass on a car a lap ahead and in the top 5, so I just rode the draft all the way to the finish.

It went really well though I'd like to ask that if you just have chatter, you set up a private channel rather than broadcasting it to all teams. That can get distracting. Also, there's a time for defending your position at all costs - like the last lapl. But early in the race, if it's clear a car behind you is quicker, you can make everyone's race more pleasant by not constantly slamming the door and creating situations which can go badly for everyone.

Welcome to all the new guys and nice to see all the familiar faces from last season. This is going to be great fun. And a reminder that we always have places open for CMS' races in the VRS Endurance series in these same tracks and using the Ferrari. Races are Saturday at 3 pm ET and Sunday at 1 pm Eastern. Fun is why we're there and everyone is welcome.

Congrats to the podium and see you next time.
    I did a race at Sebring and now am up to C with a good SR. Would need more time behind the Ferrari, but would be interested in VRS races. Can't do 180 minutes by myself!

Nope, and it's against the rules besides. Let David know that you are interested in joining us and he'll get you pointed in the right direction. Welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat77 View Post
    Nope, and it's against the rules besides. Let David know that you are interested in joining us and he'll get you pointed in the right direction. Welcome aboard!
    In the VRS Endurance thread, they're considering allowing solo entrants for the 3 hour races to get higher participation.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift CV1

NOOOOOOOO!!! That defeats the whole idea of an endurance race and ruins what makes them different and a lot more fun. Participation is great if the track is decent - ahem, COTA, ahem - so don't fix what ain't broke.