Thread: GT3 understeer?

Default GT3 understeer?

I don't have Monza or Imola, so I took the AMG out on Brands Hatch just to test it out and start to get a feel for these GT3 cars in iRacing. Man, this car has terrible power-on understeer in slow corners!! Is this typical of iRacing GT3 cars? It's not my experience in rF2, AC, or R3E in these cars. I have the AMG in all of those sims. In iRacing, it seems almost impossible to get on the gas at the apex in slow corners without pushing off the outside of the track on the exit.

I found a setup on Craig's and that definitely improved things. But I see I have a learning curve to start climbing to be smooth and controlled in this car.

Is the Ferrari 488 GT-3 the same? If it's not, then I worry a little about running in a field of Ferraris. We are going to be handling the corners very differently in the races.
    Last edited by Phil Hopkins; 05-15-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Phil, some of it could possibly be wheel setup etc. degrees rotation, etc. - I would be curious your settings? But the Mercedes is the fastest car, but it doesnt corner quite like the Ferrari. but once you get the nack for the Mercedes it's darn hard to beat.

my personal motorsports blog

Well, I'l work at it then. I tried it on Daytona RC with another Craig setup. It was better there, but squirrelly in the turns still. The first tight right hander off the oval spun it almost every time. I couldn't get it right. I'm trying to trail brake with it. It's pretty unsettled through the bus stop as well. I was running 1:46s and the fast boys were running 1:40s. I'm brand new to the car, so that's not terrible, but I'm usually within about 3 seconds of the fast cars when I first run a car and track (at least that i know at all).

I have a T500 RS set at 900 degrees and 900 degrees in iRacing. I have fairly low strength for this car (60% in TM settings and 10 in iRacing...I usually run 15-16 in iRacing). I'm used to GT3 cars in the other sims. This one spooks me. Can't seem to find its limits solidly.

And whatever little I used to know about setups I have completely forgotten.

Okay, I'm feeling much better. Less scared of the car now. I basically drove every car I own (not that many cars) around Daytona today to get a feel for how all of them drive in iRacing. The sim doesn't have that skating on ice feel I remember from 2010-12 when I last drove it. But some of the cars don't feel as planted on these tracks as they do on the same tracks in rF2 or AC.

After all of that, I drove the AMG again. MUCH BETTER! I knocked a couple of seconds off my lap times right away. But, the most important thing is that I was doing the same times and slightly better each lap without losing control. I won't be running Daytona in the 1:40s like some of them were. But I suspect I'll be running it in the 1:42-43 range after some more work. I might even do an IMSA race there this weekend.

A few setup questions. I'm using a setup from Craig that I've modified only by dialing in a little more forward brake bias. I've noticed that he is using the least possible wing, though. That seems odd to me. Is that normal? I get that less wing helps with understeer, but it also means I'm basically driving a non-downforce car, right?

What do folks around here use for wing settings for the most part (this is a high speed track, of course).

Is it taboo to ask if people share setups here in the group? I'd just be curious to try out a different setup for Daytona and see the differences before I start tinkering wholesale myself.

@David: you mentioned degrees of rotation in your reply. With a 900 degree wheel, do people set a smaller rotation in sim for these cars?

Great news Phil. I am glad you made progress. I leave it at 900 in game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hopkins View Post
    Well, I'l work at it then. I tried it on Daytona RC with another Craig setup. It was better there, but squirrelly in the turns still. The first tight right hander off the oval spun it almost every time. I couldn't get it right. I'm trying to trail brake with it. It's pretty unsettled through the bus stop as well. I was running 1:46s and the fast boys were running 1:40s. I'm brand new to the car, so that's not terrible, but I'm usually within about 3 seconds of the fast cars when I first run a car and track (at least that i know at all).

I have a T500 RS set at 900 degrees and 900 degrees in iRacing. I have fairly low strength for this car (60% in TM settings and 10 in iRacing...I usually run 15-16 in iRacing). I'm used to GT3 cars in the other sims. This one spooks me. Can't seem to find its limits solidly.

And whatever little I used to know about setups I have completely forgotten.
    Phil,

When it comes to FFB in iRacing, you can find the proper strength number after doing a lap or two, and scrolling over to the black box for Graphics Adjustments (F9):

After running a couple of laps, you will see "auto" to the right of the Force Feedback adjustment. Using your mouse, click on the word "auto" and it will adjust your FFB strength level for that car and setup combination.

I like to run 100% strength with mine, to feel more of the difference between grip and slip, and if you go too low I think you lose some of that.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

7. Default

Also Phil, and I have to say I don't drive the Merc much but it has worked for me on other cars, raise your spring rate in the rear by small increments and play with front Sway bar and see how the car responds, goal is to try to shift some weight to the fronts when on throttle after apex, car could be squatting some. If you have a telemetry software, make sure front temp average right to left is similar, that is ( I + M + O ) / 3, that could help you in figuring out if you are lifting a wheel off the ground or if you are not working a tire enough.

I'm taming the beast fairly well. Getting used to how she handles. I drove my first IMSA race today. Field of 38. I started 34th (didn't qualify), and finished 4th in class and 17th overall. I caused no incidents, never left the track, and only got hit twice from behind. :-)

Comfort level is increasing and thinking these cars can be fun.

Awesome Phil!!!