Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graphics card issue

Check that you don't have any pending Windows updates first.

If not, go to the following folder and delete all files:

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

After deleting these, go back to Windows Updates and have it check for updates again. This is also a great way to force Windows Updates to get the latest when it won't find anything.

If it still doesn't find anything, restart and check one more time.

The reason I bring this up is that sometimes pending Windows Updates will cause certain "sub-systems" to not work properly or at all until the updates are installed. Just want to make sure that's not the problem.

All of this is regarding OCCT not working....

Regarding your video card, it really does sound like you have a bad card. Hopefully you can RMA, or at least start a dialog with Zotac regarding the issue, because I don't think it's anything else. The only other thing I can think of is to do a full reinstall of graphics drivers from nVidia, and during the install choose custom installation, and then on the page where you check the boxes for the installation items, there's a check box to do a clean installation, and check that.

This is my troubleshooting process....I'm sure there's others here who may have more to add.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

2. Default

That's the same video card I have and it runs terrific.

What case do you have?

JT, just for fun...

Sit a $2 thermometer from Walmart on the table next to your computer to check the ambient temperature of the room.

Then pop the side off the case with the two thumbscrews and sit the thermometer in the case at the bottom.

Then put the side of the case back on and stick the thermometer next to the strongest fan blowing outward.

Do some gaming for an hour before positioning the thermometer in each location for 10-15 minutes each.

--------------------------
    Last edited by Doug Atkinson; 05-16-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TimCollier View Post
    Check that you don't have any pending Windows updates first...

Regarding your video card, it really does sound like you have a bad card. Hopefully you can RMA, or at least start a dialog with Zotac regarding the issue, because I don't think it's anything else. The only other thing I can think of is to do a full reinstall of graphics drivers from nVidia, and during the install choose custom installation, and then on the page where you check the boxes for the installation items, there's a check box to do a clean installation, and check that.
    Checked, performed the deletion of folders, and still no luck. OCCT refuses to work.

Going to look at contact EVGA to submit an RMA for repair, still 2 years left on the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Atkinson View Post
    What case do you have?
    I have a Cooler Master Storm Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Atkinson View Post
    Sit a $2 thermometer from Walmart on the table next to your computer to check the ambient temperature of the room.

Then pop the side off the case with the two thumbscrews and sit the thermometer in the case at the bottom.

Then put the side of the case back on and stick the thermometer next to the strongest fan blowing outward.

Do some gaming for an hour before positioning the thermometer in each location for 10-15 minutes each.
    Ambient temp was at 71F.

With side open, thermometer was placed on the bottom of the case, below the GPU. It was 78F at the time I placed it in the case.

I did practice in rFactor for 45 minutes. I took small break, and saw the temperature was around 81F. About 4 minutes later the GPU crashed.

I turned off the PC, checked the temp (81F) and then started it back up. After logging back in, I was waiting for the startup programs to load, and it instantly crashed again...
    ---------------------------
    JT Tami

Champion Racing

2011 NALMS LMP1 Champion - #97 Champion Racing Audi R10 TDI

One more thing I just thought of. Even though you just recently bought that card, there was a BIOS update some time back for EVGA 1060, 1070 and 1080 cards for heat related problems.

Go to this page: https://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

There's links at the bottom for different cards and find yours and check the BIOS version. You can see what version your card currently has by opening the nVidia Control Panel, clicking on System Information in the bottom left hand corner, and further down the list you'll see your cards BIOS version.

Also, at the time there was a need to add thermal pads to the early versions of the cards, but shouldn't be an issue now unless the card was older stock.

It could be worth a quick look!

One last thing, found another GPU stress test program...highly touted by Tom's Hardware when testing new cards.

https://geeks3d.com/furmark/

-
    Last edited by TimCollier; 05-16-2019 at 11:15 PM.
    Tim Collier

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

I sure hope that BIOS update might be the breakthrough

my personal motorsports blog

Quote Originally Posted by TimCollier View Post
    One more thing I just thought of. Even though you just recently bought that card, there was a BIOS update some time back for EVGA 1060, 1070 and 1080 cards for heat related problems.
    -
    Good idea, but mine is already updated. Check via serial number and current bios version.

Ill take a look at that stress test program
    JT Tami

Champion Racing

20 minute stress test with FurMark, temps up to 78C, staying there after 3 minutes. Averaging 77 fps

Did a 2nd 10 minute test shortly after, 78C again.

GPU hasn't bailed yet
    JT Tami

Champion Racing

Quote Originally Posted by JTninja View Post
    20 minute stress test with FurMark, temps up to 78C, staying there after 3 minutes. Averaging 77 fps

Did a 2nd 10 minute test shortly after, 78C again.

GPU hasn't bailed yet

So it doesn't seem to be heat related then. And you have already removed and replaced the graphics drivers....

Next test I would do (and again, this is me troubleshooting).

Go to Device Manager, and under display adapter, right click on your video card and select Uninstall. This will remove the device's drivers from Windows (and take you back to safe mode resolution).

After restarting, let Windows sit for about 10-15 minutes and let it install default Windows drivers for the card. It will prompt you to reboot.

After it restarts, it's time to reinstall the nVidia drivers again, doing the Clean Install option again.

I know it's a tedious process, but it's my next logical step.

I'd even go as far as to remove the video card and put your old one back in and see if it has problems with the same drivers. That would rule out the computer and drivers.
    Tim Collier