Thread: Hockenheim Results and Discussion

Default Hockenheim Results and Discussion

Last edited by Hutch; 05-13-2019 at 04:58 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

That was pretty fun, I will have to spend some more time preparing for the next one if I can to be more competitive, but it was fun to get out with AC again and you guys.
    Here is the stream if you are interested that I did. If you like the channel consider subscribing to it with your FREE amazon prime, twitch benefit
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/424152288

David

my personal motorsports blog

my personal motorsports blog

Unfortunately the live timing is only good for lap times any more, I’ll have the results posted tonight.

That was a blast. Slow, but good fun. Glad you could join,David!

-See You On Track!

Part of me worried that those prototypically 80's chicanes would make this race boring, but in fact, they were so terrifying every lap that it was anything but boring, LOL!

I bogged terribly at the start and gave up a few spots right away. Then Bob and I tested the width of the 2nd chicane and found it significantly too narrow to accommodate 2 cars at the same time. Thanks for the PM, Bob- no worries, it happens! After that impact my wheel was cocked to the right, but I was able to get away and keep the car pointed the right direction enough to make it back to the pits. I had enough fuel to do the whole race (or so I thought, more on that later), so I figured taking my splash'n'go on lap 2 while the damage was fixed wouldn't set me back as far as it might have. Still I spent about a minute in the pits, but came out fully repaired and rarin' to go. I was a minute behind the next two cars, but taking back about 5 seconds a lap, and between pace and attrition I was back up to 5th by about 2/3rds distance, which is where I qualified. Patrice and Brette were next ahead, but I wasn't making any headway on that gap, so in the end I think that's where I would have finished with or without the early contact. To my surprise I ran out of gas on my final lap- lucky for me I just managed to stay ahead of Jason at the end, and staying on the lead lap let me hold my position ahead of the folks behind me.

Congrats to Jason, who came back with a vengeance after having to retire at Le Mans! 2nd-4th seemed like a good fight, and it's always nice to have our fearless leader join us

Surprising win for me considering I didn't practice besides the hour and a half or so prior to the race I spent developing the car a bit. I guess most others didn't either.
    Car was fast, but was somewhat on knife's edge, so I knew I needed to pull away quickly if I wasn't going to beat myself wrecking the thing.

Got lucky in quali, tbh. I knew I had the pace, just couldn't seem to make it happen, ended up slightly pegging the [suicide] barrier track left through that second chicane. (btw, what madman designed that deathtrap! Holy cow!)

Decent enough start (though - and I'm saying this having not watched the replay yet - I think Jon was a little more than considerate and cautious into T1. I actually thought he had the outside line but then he tucked in behind me and down the straight we went.
    I damn near overshot the first chicane. Mucho fuel, super cold tires, and a bit of nerves and I'm trying to brake at about an F1 car point, which is not so good considering cold, the brakes are wooden on the 962.
    Heart in throat, foot in brake, but I somehow managed to navigate it ok.

Not sure what happened to Jon at that second chicane (maybe pegged one of the barriers?) but one moment he was there, I exit the chicane and someone else is in P2.

I took the opportunity and started pulling a gap, and at times I was running full boost on all straights, moving back to 80% or so just prior to braking points.
    But it seemed many were having various issues, and it wasn't long before I was able to back off and do comfortable (and more importantly, ultra safe) laps.
    I was super cautious in that second chicane, and only really pushed the car a bit in the stadium section, as I seem to have a line in many cars there that is somewhat speedy.

After developing the gap I had managed, I spent the better part of the race 'training'. Loss of focus, especially when I get out alone like that, is a killer for me.
    Learning to back off, but yet be in the driver's seat without thinking too much about it...and rather just doing the thing, repetitiously, is a thing I've really had to work hard on. I'm still getting there, but last night I was in that zone where I just drove, without thinking. Love those moments when I can accomplish that (though, I'd rather have a great, close battle...but, just doesn't always happen)

Was fairly cut and dry throughout, after the initial scare. No real issues to speak of, and I'll gladly take that one

Grats to the finishers...tough track to go at speed for a solid hour in such a car(s).
    Love these monsters, and every single time I've spent some time away from them, when I come back to them...it's this sort of "wow" moment. The intensity of these cars; through sight, sound, feel...it's definitely there. I'd almost say AC simulates the raw aspects and the monstrous nature of these beasts better than any other current gen sim.
    Finally got AC ffb feeling quite similar to rF2 and AMS....which is great. For the longest time there was something lacking for me, but some recent tweaks really set it off and it shows in the confidence I've started to have in some cars that once gave me trouble in this sim (lack of feel was the issue)

Fun stuff....thanks for showcasing these outstanding cars in a series, Michael!

Points updated, and whew, it is all to play for at Daytona!

Congrats for the win Jason, glad to see you back (pun intended)!

I'm so happy I made it on time as I nearly missed the start of the race, but no time to qual. My daughter had school show early in the evening (I went to see her on Saturday - so I knew I had a 20 minute buffer), so I was on dad's taxi duty. Turns out the show started late, the highway was closed due to construction work at night. Jumped out of the real car 3 minutes before race start time... boot computer relog on the server 2 times.... Load setup .... green flag!

As mentioned by Michael, the chicanes turned out to be quite "interesting". I made good progress after a 6-7 laps of really close racing up to 2nd. I couldn't build much of a gap especially with Brette. I was figuring I was safe with my strategy (hard tires, + 25L of fuel). To my surprised I was quite a lot behind Jon after the pit sequence (23 seconds to be exact). I didn't realize to other cars could get away with just a splash'n'go. Brett also gained a position in the operation but was in sight.

We were all set for a 14 lap showdown. It was fantastic going flat out to catch up Brette only to get dusted by the Merc massive turbo boost just before I could make a move. I figured he couldn't last long, was I wrong. After a while, I got impatient and made an ill-advised passing attempt at the "ost" chicane (yes the one where only one car can get thru...) crashed the tire wall. Got back at it and gained ground quickly (figured Brette was preserving the engine in cased I showed up again). Cat and mouse game on the big straights until I finally get a pass opportunity thanks to some traffic. But wait! That's no traffic, it's Jon!!! It was a 3-way fight for 2nd place. Apparently my hard tires were the only ones with some grip left in them. I attacked the track to gain every bit of time I could. Finally got slightly in front entering the T2-T3 chicane with 2 laps to go, it was messy on the T3 exit with my rear snapping left and right. I pretty sure there wasn't any contact with Jon's car, but he went a bit wide at T3 (probably to avoid my rear wing flying thru his windshield).
    Kept going to the finish, with Jon in my mirrors.

This was the closest and busiest race of the season from my perspective, by far. Great fun, unexpectedly close.
    Really looking forward to Daytona.

Congrats to everyone and apologies for my early braking at the chicanes at times....I love this track....dont like the chicanes but absolutely hate what they did to this place a decade or so ago. I couldn't believe I was up to second early on, but i was really having a hard time with chicane #2 especially and really paid the price a few times with huge damage and a difficult long tail for the last half of the race.......i would really luv to race these modern cars at the REAL historical versions of these tracks....no chicanes no bus stops no FIA curbs.....something to think about....

Looking forward to Sunny Florida as spring has not appeared here in Onterrible....