Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VR List of Headsets

I have looked at the Index a few different times putting it in my cart on steam.... I don't know if tonight I will make it without pulling the trigger.
    Xbox: xxWtChocolatexx
    PS3: WtChocolate
    iRacing: Michael Heikes
    Steam: wtchocolate

We have a steadily growing support group here to help those who spend money endlessly on this hobby. We meet almost every night...
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

Well I guess you can't pre order the index at this time. It's just signing up for a list to be able to pre order right now so I did that. I'm kind of tempted to get a rift S from best buy, they don't have any in stock according to the website but it says I can have one in a couple days if I were to buy one. My brain is telling me I should lol. I could maybe sell the original Rift for a couple hundred once I decide to get the Index or not then have the Rift S in the game room on the other computer for my daughter to try out or nephews when they come over. The more I think about it it's a win win. I mean I get higher resolution on my computer while waiting for the Index to come out. I'm just not sure about the sound because I use headphones and the Rift S head strap looks huge.

Quote Originally Posted by TimCollier View Post
    Headset Release Res Per Eye Display Type FOV Mech IPD Refresh Rate Sensors Req'd MSRP Remarks
    HP Reverb 5/6/2019 2160x2160 LCD 114 No 90Hz No $599.00
    HTC Vive 2016 1080x1200 OLED 110 Yes 90Hz Yes $499.00
    HTC Vive Pro 2018 1440x1600 OLED 110 Yes 90Hz Yes $1,400.00
    Oculus Rift CV1 2016 1080x1200 OLED 110 Yes 90Hz Yes $349.00 No longer available for purchase from Oculus
    Oculus Rift S 5/21/2019 1280x1440 LCD 110 No 80Hz No $399.00 External sound on halo, no longer closed headphones
    PiMax 4k 2016 1920x2160 LCD 110 Yes 60Hz Yes $300.00 Hard to find
    PiMax 5k+ Q3/2019 2560x1440 OLED 200 Yes 90Hz Yes $699.00 Works with SteamVR and OpenVR; no headphones
    PiMax 8k TBD 3840x2160 CLPL 200 Yes 8Hz Yes $900.00 Image is upscaled from 2560x1440; no headphones
    Samsung Odyssey 2017 1440x1600 OLED 110 Yes 60/90Hz No $499.99
    Samsung Odyssey+ 2018 1440x1600 OLED 110 Yes 60/90Hz No $499.99 Same specs as Odyssey but redesigned exterior shape, better fit
    Valve Index 9/1/2019 1440x1600 LCD 130 Yes 120/144Hz Yes $499/$999 $499 for Headset Only/$999 for Headset, Controllers and Sensors

NOTE:

FOV - Field of View (Note that the Oculus Rift S does not have a listed FOV, as per Oculus it's determined more on the distance of your eye from the lenses)

Mech IPD - Whether or not the unit has a mechanical adjustment for InterPupillary Distance (space between your pupils), or if it's managed by a software/lense setting. Mechanical is better, and necessary for those with small or large IPD values. This number can be obtained from any eyeglass store, or your optometrist.

Sensors Req'd - If you are required to locate sensors to track the movement of the headset and controllers. If yes, you need at least 1 for racing, and 2-3 for full room use. If no, then the headset has what's known as Inside Out tracking, with cameras on the headset to track objects around you for your head movement, as well as tracking the controllers. The upside to Inside Out tracking is no sensors to set up and clutter your room with cables. The downside is that the headset may lose tracking from time to time, and will lose the position of the controllers if outside the view of the headset cameras (such as going behind your back). For racing, Inside Out should be less of an issue, but depends on how well it tracks objects to avoid stutters/drops in movement.
    Thanks for this great thread about VR Tim! I think the summary chart is the most useful way to compare the options at a glance. WIthout having read all posts, one thing that baffles me is the Pimax 8K has a refresh rate of only 8hz listed. I'm pretty sure it is closer to what the 5K provides based on some reviews (at least on a top tier PC) I've seen in the past. But since you list it as TBD release date, I wonder if the 8Hz value is just a typo, an estimate or what?

I'm hoping more competition is good for features, performance and price. But at this point, I think the price point has narrowed the market to people looking for that next level of realism no matter what. And that market may be so slim that it doesn't have the R&D payback required to move development along any faster than we've seen so far. Sort of a chicken and egg syndrome as far as making leaps in performance for the general consumer market. If some of these headsets would just address a few items, I would probably pony up the extra cash. But they all seem to have enough drawbacks that I find myself holding off longer to see who strikes the best balance of features and price that won't require a $3K PC to run properly.

Thanks again for sharing with your fellow sim racers at CMS!

5. Default

Well, I just discovered something else regarding Microsoft's WMR system that causes problems....I jumped into iRacing with the Odyssey+ to check the MX-5 for the next race. Took to the track, all was fine, and exited the track to look at something, then jumped back in....no FFB. None.

Exited iRacing, and found a thread that you may lose FFB with the Odyssey (and other Microsoft Windows Mixed Reality Headsets) due to USB ports being powered down, which causes the wheel to lose FFB, most notable the Fanatec wheels.

To correct it, you have to go into the control menu, uncheck FFB, exit the menu, get on the track, exit the track, go back into Control and click FFB, and hope it comes back. Otherwise you have to leave iRacing, power down the wheel, power it back up and try again.

I'm just not sure this is going to work out.

Tim, maybe no help and a WAG here, but look at the attached image and see if deselecting the power settings specific to the USB device would help.

usb-devices.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brette Brooks View Post
    WIthout having read all posts, one thing that baffles me is the Pimax 8K has a refresh rate of only 8hz listed. I'm pretty sure it is closer to what the 5K provides based on some reviews (at least on a top tier PC) I've seen in the past. But since you list it as TBD release date, I wonder if the 8Hz value is just a typo, an estimate or what?
    You were spot on, that was most certainly a typo! I have corrected it, and yes, it should have been listed at 80Hz.

Thanks for the kind words, when I do research for myself and find facts (or reach an opinion/conclusion), I usually share it here hoping it might help someone else. Expect more to be posted here as the Valve Index hits the streets very soon!!
    Tim Collier

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Atkinson View Post
    Tim, maybe no help and a WAG here, but look at the attached image and see if deselecting the power settings specific to the USB device would help.

usb-devices.jpg
    Thanks Doug, that's pretty interesting and will definitely read up on it, as you never know what the future may bring with other power-hungry add-ons.

I decided to return the Odyssey+ and wait on the day I get the go ahead from Valve to order the Index!
    Tim Collier

Well I tried the Rift S out for the first time. Just jumped in a practice room and it's a pretty good jump up from the regular rift as far as clarity goes. My Steel series headphones work with the headband which was really the only thing I was worried about letting me down. I'm surprised on the difference though from the bump up in resolution. The refresh rate doesn't really make a difference but that's only off by a little bit from the first Rift. So we will see what I do in a few months when I can pre-order the index. I would like to think I could get a couple hundred for my original rift with three sensors when it comes time to get rid of it and put the Rift S in the game room if I make the move on the Valve Index.

Side note, I hooked up the Rift to my older computer and played Beat Saber for the first time. The bedroom turned game room has my old 5.2 surround sound in there and man that game is pretty fun and the surround sound with the 2 10 inch subs helps with the music in game. I'm not in shape so the couple hours I have spent on that when you have to squat down have my legs feeling the burn just a little bit. Good thing I have a washable cover for the mask.

Thanks for the early thoughts Mike! I really want to try one out in iRacing.

Where is that order button at Amazon....
    Tim Collier

Thanks for the early thoughts Mike! I really want to try one out in iRacing.

Where is that order button at Amazon....
    Didn't you say somewhere that best buy near you have them in stock.... What about your nephew's, thought you were going to try it out on iracing?