Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VR List of Headsets

The Samsung Odyssey+ is now $299.99US on Amazon!
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

Quote Originally Posted by TimCollier View Post
    The Samsung Odyssey+ is now $299.99US on Amazon!
    Will my GTX 980ti handle VR with the rest of my rig that is listed in my signature ?
    2012 CMS North American and World Divison P1 Champion

Case-HAF922, Motherboard-ASUS-ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING, Processor-I5-9600K, Ram-32GB GSKILL,DVD Burner-ASUS X 2, Power Supply-Corsair HX850, Wheel-T500-Ferrari F1 Rim, Monitor-LG 42" 4K, Video Card-EVGA GeForce GTX 980 ti 6GB
    "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, then you are no longer a racing driver. I am not designed to come 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th. I am designed to win.." Ayrton Senna

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer23 View Post
    Will my GTX 980ti handle VR with the rest of my rig that is listed in my signature ?
    You will probably have to turn down the settings you're used to using in your sims, but yeah it should work no problem.
    Tim Collier

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

I have an update regarding the Samsung Odyssey+ (SO+)

Last night I had an hour or so to jump back on and test the SO+, and I chose to try Assetto Corsa Competizione and American Truck Simulator.

One thing I haven't mentioned is that I have been unable to upgrade the firmware on the headset, which I bypassed when I installed the headset last week, so I decided to come back to that and do it. The firmware update wasn't anything major from what I could find on the forums, and that bugged me, in that there was no official changelog ANYWHERE on what this update contained. There were mentions that it corrected the values when adjusting the IPD (distance between your pupils) as the readout was supposedly incorrect and this fixed that, but again this was just hearsay, but I wanted to update anyway.

But I couldn't. No matter what I did, it would get to 10% and stop. No activity, nothing. I did searches for 30 minutes on how to get past this, and most suggestions were to disable Windows Defender. I decided to close everything, including Defender and AV (was not an easy decision), and tried again. Nope. Wouldn't go. So, I restarted the computer and moved on.

After you plug in the USB connector, the headset powers up using Windows Mixed Reality system that's building into Windows 10 1903, and you are placed in Microsoft's version on "Home". It's ok, and full of Microsoft this and that, and anything you want to do asks for you to be logged into your Microsoft account. But I couldn't even get to SteamVR or any games from this interface, and that was frustrating.

I raised the visor up and opened SteamVR, and started ACC. When it started I just had a blank screen and no sound....then I looked down and about 10 feet below me was the garage and menu screen. I exited to search for a solution, which was to open SteamVR, then do a recenter HMD in there, which would reset the menu screen. I did that, opened ACC and it was back in front of me. I jumped in my Ferrari to do some laps, and it was visually...not great. But I don't think it's the SO+, but the game. I think they still have something not quite right in ACC for VR users. Exited the car and the game, and did a quick search on VR issues, but no fixes but to turn down one setting. I jumped back into ACC and low and behold if the menu wasn't 10 feet below me again.

This never happens with the Oculus Rift....and maybe it's a symtom of SteamVR that I've never had to deal with till now. Maybe some of you VIve users can shed some light on this? But it was perplexing to have to deal with resetting the center of the view all the time.

So I moved over to American Truck Simulator, which is not natively made for VR, but runs very well on my CV1. Changing the tag to use OpenVR instead of Oculus when opening the game, I had problem after problem with it opening at all. I then jumped out and opened it without VR and it was fine, then put the VR tag back and it opened. But I was 10 feet above the menus, and when I went to the truck I was 10 feet above the cab. I pressed the recenter view for interior cab, nothing. It thought I was just fine.

I jumped out, did the recenter view in SteamVR and jumped back in, was still 10 feet above the menus and truck.

So....

Exited the game and closed SteamVR and Windows Mixed Reality, then unplugged the SO+, plugged in my Rift CV1, two sensors, changed the tag and went back into ATS, and everything was perfect again.

In summary....

What I have experienced so far is that the Odyssey+ works well, when you can get it to work with what you're using. I know I haven't figured it all out just out, but the constant tweaks and resets make me appreciate all that Oculus has done to get their headsets to work with less messing around.

I'm sure a big part of it has to do with the companies making the games, but it's also important for users like ourselves to NOT have to spend 2 hours reading and tweaking just to get something to work, especially when you only have an hour to use it. That hour I had to kill turned into more than 2, and so far today I haven't even plugged the SO+ back in and I'm considering calling this experiment done.

I also spent a good part of my day helping my brother in law get my newphew's Oculus Rift S installed by texting, as I've been unable to go there due to other commitments. He had some problems that mostly had to do with receiving a confirmation email from Oculus after making an account, for some reason they're getting an unusually high number of requests this week /sarcasm off

But after getting it plugged into the computer, he received a message regarding the sensors not being set up properly. After some investigation, I found it was due to the security permissions in Windows...when I built the computer, I turned off camera permissions for all programs, and apparently that won't let the Rift S use the cameras for tracking!

So far it's been working great, and I can't wait to give it a try for comparison.

And to say my faith in Windows Mixed Reality and SteamVR has been shaken a bit by all this, well, it certainly took a hit.
    Tim Collier

Well, I just discovered something else regarding Microsoft's WMR system that causes problems....I jumped into iRacing with the Odyssey+ to check the MX-5 for the next race. Took to the track, all was fine, and exited the track to look at something, then jumped back in....no FFB. None.

Exited iRacing, and found a thread that you may lose FFB with the Odyssey (and other Microsoft Windows Mixed Reality Headsets) due to USB ports being powered down, which causes the wheel to lose FFB, most notable the Fanatec wheels.

To correct it, you have to go into the control menu, uncheck FFB, exit the menu, get on the track, exit the track, go back into Control and click FFB, and hope it comes back. Otherwise you have to leave iRacing, power down the wheel, power it back up and try again.

I'm just not sure this is going to work out.
    Tim Collier

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimCollier View Post
    ..found a thread that you may lose FFB with the Odyssey (and other Microsoft Windows Mixed Reality Headsets) due to USB ports being powered down, which causes the wheel to lose FFB, most notable the Fanatec wheels.
    wow thats a major.. definitely wont be considering any WMR headsets if thats the case..
    Obutto Rev | Oculus Rift | Fanatec Clubsport v2.5 + Formula Wheel | Heusinkveld Pro Pedals

Quote Originally Posted by ignition22 View Post
    wow thats a major.. definitely wont be considering any WMR headsets if thats the case..
    Yeah, and overall I really like the Odyssey+, but after a few days of trials I guess I'm so spoiled by the Oculus "plug it in and it works" thing, I just disconnected it from the rig and boxed it up. Sticking with the CV1 for now.
    Tim Collier

8. Default

So i hired a Rift S for the last few days to compare to my Rift

Pros:
    * Very noticeable screen door reduction
    * Slighty better quality picture, very slightly
    * Colours felt better to me
    * For some reason everything just seems a tad more real
    * Comfort i think is very slightly better

Cons
    * Bad artifacts around edges for some reason. Open wheel cars in iracing especially had issue around the front wheels. Same problems in DCS
    * Occasional flash of full view static, noticed in many games, maybe just an issue they will fix
    * I kept experiencing issues with my bluetooth keyboard, it would randomly stop working, sometimes only certain keys, no idea why this could be, maybe just a temp issue
    * occasionally lost tracking with hand controllers
    * can not fit your own over ear headphones over that head band
    * every time i put the headset on it had shifted me about a meter from where i was supposed to be and had to reset

I use my rift very near every day. I could sell mine and upgrade to a Rift S for an extra $250 and gotta say borderline worth while for me. Rift S costs $700 here and i definitely wouldn't pay that much straight up for this level of upgrade. Disappointing that 3 years after Rift this is all Oculus have done for PC VR. Ill probably wait another year and see what else comes out.
    Obutto Rev | Oculus Rift | Fanatec Clubsport v2.5 + Formula Wheel | Heusinkveld Pro Pedals

Thanks Dion for that review, they have them in stock at Best Buy a mile from my house, and they're offering me 10% off the list price too. I just don't know...here's where I am on VR:

I'm using my CV1 and enjoying it, but would absolutely love to upgrade to a better resolution. My experience with the CV1 has been very positive, and I think in large part it's because of the majority of the games writing specifically for the Oculus and it just works.

My experience with the Odyssey+ was, at first, great when I tried iRacing. The visuals were superb and again, they wrote code to where it just worked. But once I tried other sims/games, I found that I had to spend time getting it set up every time I cranked up another game. After trying to use it a few nights with other stuff, I found myself frustrated and not wanting to use it anymore. It has been sent back, begrudgingly, because it was a great headset. The controllers were horrible, but I don't use them that often.

So now I'm thinking I need to stick with Oculus for the reason I said above, but the Rift S has a few shortcomings, with the sound being the biggest one to me. I don't want to wear another set of headphones or earbuds (I hate earbuds), and the inside-out thing has been reported to lose tracking suddenly. There's quite a few people on iRacing's forums reporting that they'll be driving along and all of a sudden the view changes to the left or right and they have to hit the recenter button as quick as possible. I still want to try out my nephew's to see how well it works with the lower refresh rate, and I also read that some of the issues Dion reported above are getting fixed soon by updates.

That leaves me with one of two choices. The Valve Index, which is getting fantastic reviews this week now that the press can start posting reviews....but it's not Oculus, and I'm looking at SteamVR for everything (which isn't terrible, just different). The other option is to just wait, which it sounds like Dion is considering the same thing.

For those that haven't tried VR, it's not for everyone, but ever since I first did a lap in Live For Speed more than 3 years ago, I knew I couldn't go back to a single monitor. I've never had a triple monitor setup, so I can understand those who don't see the need to change from that. I just don't see me going that direction now that I've experienced VR and used it for racing the last 2-3 years, I can't see me doing something else.
    Tim Collier

10. Default

I am definitely a VR convert and can easily imagine doing almost everything in VR one day, work etc. Im actually writing this from the Rift S and i can definitely say that text legibility in windows is much much better then the CV1 though with the sweet spot you really have to move your head to point to what your reading and writing.

As you say Tim, Oculus seem to have the best eco-system and things just work. A big plus for me is they have the tech advantage in compensating for lower frame rates over the other platforms. I would far rather stick with Oculus if i can. However where they are focusing as a company has changed and if its another 3yrs before they do another PC VR headset and they continue to focus mostly on price and wide adoption rather then evolutionary steps we might end up with little choice then to jump ship at some point.

But yep, ill probably wait a year and see what develops. The index does sound really interesting and if i get a chance i may try and hire one for a few days. Unfortunately for me its probably a little out of my comfortable budget range especially because im going to need a gfx card update before long as well (hoping intel bring some competition and price drops).