Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VR List of Headsets

Default VR List of Headsets

Headset Release Res Per Eye Display Type FOV Mech IPD Refresh Rate Sensors Req'd MSRP Remarks
    HP Reverb 5/6/2019 2160x2160 LCD 114 No 90Hz No $599.00
    HTC Vive 2016 1080x1200 OLED 110 Yes 90Hz Yes $499.00
    HTC Vive Pro 2018 1440x1600 OLED 110 Yes 90Hz Yes $1,400.00
    Oculus Rift CV1 2016 1080x1200 OLED 110 Yes 90Hz Yes $349.00 No longer available for purchase from Oculus
    Oculus Rift S 5/21/2019 1280x1440 LCD 110 No 80Hz No $399.00 External sound on halo, no longer closed headphones
    PiMax 4k 2016 1920x2160 LCD 110 Yes 60Hz Yes $300.00 Hard to find
    PiMax 5k+ Q3/2019 2560x1440 OLED 200 Yes 90Hz Yes $699.00 Works with SteamVR and OpenVR; no headphones
    PiMax 8k TBD 3840x2160 CLPL 200 Yes 80Hz Yes $900.00 Image is upscaled from 2560x1440; no headphones
    Samsung Odyssey 2017 1440x1600 OLED 110 Yes 60/90Hz No $499.99
    Samsung Odyssey+ 2018 1440x1600 OLED 110 Yes 60/90Hz No $499.99 Same specs as Odyssey but redesigned exterior shape, better fit
    Valve Index 9/1/2019 1440x1600 LCD 130 Yes 120/144Hz Yes $499/$999 $499 for Headset Only/$999 for Headset, Controllers and Sensors

NOTE:

FOV - Field of View (Note that the Oculus Rift S does not have a listed FOV, as per Oculus it's determined more on the distance of your eye from the lenses)

Mech IPD - Whether or not the unit has a mechanical adjustment for InterPupillary Distance (space between your pupils), or if it's managed by a software/lense setting. Mechanical is better, and necessary for those with small or large IPD values. This number can be obtained from any eyeglass store, or your optometrist.

Sensors Req'd - If you are required to locate sensors to track the movement of the headset and controllers. If yes, you need at least 1 for racing, and 2-3 for full room use. If no, then the headset has what's known as Inside Out tracking, with cameras on the headset to track objects around you for your head movement, as well as tracking the controllers. The upside to Inside Out tracking is no sensors to set up and clutter your room with cables. The downside is that the headset may lose tracking from time to time, and will lose the position of the controllers if outside the view of the headset cameras (such as going behind your back). For racing, Inside Out should be less of an issue, but depends on how well it tracks objects to avoid stutters/drops in movement.
    Last edited by TimCollier; 06-06-2019 at 09:46 PM.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

Updated list, adding a few more headsets, additional remarks and the year of release.
    Tim Collier

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

Updated first post, changed image to table, and added release date for HP Reverb, Oculus Rift S and Valve Index.
    Tim Collier

This week ive had 3 people talking me about how good th vr is but since im a graphics junkie ive never pulled the trigger.

I see that the cv1, the most comon, resolution is low, anyone have tested the samsung or the primax 5k?

How pain is too set everything, how demanding is vs 3 screens 1080p?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I use the CV1 for all my sim-racing, can't imagine ever going back to racing on the monitor (although I never had triples), but I can tell you that the demand is about the same as triples from what I've read and heard.

Setup with the Oculus is so easy, and I'm looking forward to setting up the Rift S for my nephew in a couple of weeks so I can try it out. Without the need for sensors, that would make it even easier! As for the Samsung or PiMax, they use Windows WMD stuff built in to Windows 10, and SteamVR, but I know we have at least one user here with a PiMax 5k, jdilla, and he posted a short video HERE but he had more to say about the PiMax, and I'm sure he could fill us all in on setting it up. My guess is that it will need more horsepower to run more detail than other headsets.

There's a great Virtual Reality forum at iRacing, you can read a lot of setup and review stuff there: https://members.iracing.com/jforum/f...how/11111.page

I'm currently on the reserve list for the new Steam Index, but some of the first user posts haven't been that impressive. Will make a call after seeing the Rift S in action....especially after seeing this video comparing the CV1, Rift S and Vive with a camera through the lens.

The Rift S, at 4:40, is very impressive.
    Tim Collier

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel Alcrudo View Post
    I see that the cv1, the most comon, resolution is low, anyone have tested the samsung or the primax 5k?
    So I've done a fair amount of reading on headsets before purchasing my Pimax 5k.

I was very ready to buy the original samsung odyssey, and also the plus, but I've heard that the lenses aren't as good as the ones on my Rift CV1 as far as 'blur' goes unless you have the perfect IPD for the display. I hear this from some who say they are sensitive to things like blur and IPD issues, as well as myself, so I never pulled the trigger. I compared it to the HP WMR I have, which also suffers from considerable 'tunnelvision' because of the blurry edges. With that, I have a Rift CV1 and I really like the fact that I can look to the edge of the lens and nothing is distorted, however as you know, the resolution is a bit low and can be distracting to some, depending on tweaking. Looking into the distance ahead of the car, or in the mirror can be limiting which ultimately drove my upgrade.

In comes the Pimax 5k+. I knew what I was getting into with this, and I know that it isn't perfect, and personal mileage may vary, but I am beyond impressed with it. Very sharp image, and the area of the sharp image is also very large. there is minimal distortion, and that is only at the edge where you have to strain your eyes to even see it. I purchased all of the goodies necessary to make it work well, such as the Vive lighthouse, a Vive deluxe audio strap, VRCover face and audio strap foam replacements, etc. It wasn't exactly affordable or simple, but the end result is incredible. I usually run iRacing and rFactor2 with the "Normal" FoV (~150deg diag) because I've noticed that a lot of the tin tops I drive have issues rendering the full 170deg inside the car, and it feels like I'm driving a hovering front clip unfortunately. Also, I'm not sure your CPU/GPU, but this is a VERY demanding headset. I can confirm that unless you want to use very basic settings, a 1080ti with i7 7770k is 'just enough' to run it with decent settings, as the FoV chows resources.

With that, the HP Reverb was looking to be a decent sim racers HMD, however I have read very recently that they are recalling them now, so the next contender may be the Valve Index, with approximately 130deg fov? I doubt it will be as nice as the pimax, however as far as setup and ease of use goes, I'm sure it will be ahead of the pimax. It's kind of an awkward time to buy a headset, as oculus just announced the Rift S, HP Reverb is being recalled, and the Valve Index being released soon, it is most likely a good idea to just hang tight and see where these devices line up. Or buy a Pimax, I'm almost certain this headset will be the one to beat as long as you have the patience to set it up.

Hope that wasn't too confusing, cheers
    Derek Steffeck
    Team Horses Arse - "Bringin' up da rear"

I have an i7-4790k @ 4.8 and a 2080ti w 32gb mem...

So yes the graphics quality of the primax 5k are a diference from cv1.. my monitors are 1080p.. what i like is all the shadow, lights, effect graphic stuff...

Thanks for the info I see what I do.. maybe see if I can test one locally to at least feel what the inmersion and visuals are like and maybe that will change my urgency jjejeje

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Samsung Odyssey plus is selling for $389 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elect...s%2C172&sr=8-2

Another great through the lens video highlighting the Pimax 8k, 5k and Odyssey+!

Tim Collier

Well, after listening to the guys that I fly air combat sims with rave for a while now, and friends who do racing sims telling me it's an epiphany to use VR, the new Rift S sold me. I've always been put off by having something on my head, cutting me off from the world. So I've just not tried VR. But with new simplified setup and a bit higher resolution, and passthrough+ so I can see the world if I want, I pulled the trigger today. Rift S gets here Thursday.

I purchased a Samsung Odyssey+ and had a chance to try it out Wednesday night after the MX-5 race.

It was on sale for $379 on Amazon (NOW $349!), and decided that if it wasn't worth it, I'd sent it back. I'm still curious about the Rift S (my nephew's arrived yesterday, not sure when I'll get to it), and I'm still on the list for the Valve Index, but will give this a good go first since the resolution is the same as the Rift S and Index.

This is the summary I posted in our team's Discord channel, but wanted to share with others.

Here's a quick note on the Odyssey+
    Unplugged all CV1 sensors, and the headset of course.
    I followed the steps outlined here: https://members.iracing.com/jforum/p...t/3614704.page
    Well, I did 1-5 and 7. Then I opened SteamVR, and was told to put on the headset and grab the controllers. Messed around for a minute or two, then slid the headset up and cranked up the iRacing BetaUI.
    Set up a Test Drive at Le Mans at Sunset in the Ferrari GT3. It took a while to crank up, but then I remembered it's Le Mans. It opened and the graphics were definitely higher resolution than the CV1. I could see more detail, but had to change the sound to the right device, then jumped in the car, and WOW! The detail was definitely there!
    I did an out lap and one full lap, and my frame rate was between 80 and 90, so going back to that iRacing thread I see there's some settings to tweak outside of iRacing.
    So I'm going to mess with that the next couple of nights, and will report back.
    The Inside Out tracking is really really good. I did read that if you usually sit in the dark while gaming, you can't with this type of tracking. I have a lamp on about 8 feet away, and it's more than enough.
    I love not having to use the sensors, but the controllers that come with the Odyssey+ leave a lot to be desired. Too big and bulky, I kept hitting them on stuff around my simulator.
    The headset itself uses a halo, like the new RiftS, with a dial on the back to tighten/untighten it, and it fits really well. It sits on your forehead though, and that's going to take some getting used to, or at least it feels different from the Rift as far as pressing on you. Maybe I had it too tight. The nose space is really good, couldn't see any light coming in, and I didn't have a fan on and it didn't fog up...but then it was only for a few minutes.
    Well, 30 actually.
    Overall, i'm impressed, and especially impressed when it costs less than the RiftS!
    The resolution and FOV is the same as the RiftS, but this headset has full over the ear headphones like the Rift CV1. I think the sound is going to be the worst thing about the Rift S.
    Last edited by TimCollier; 05-24-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    Tim Collier