Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NARS Summer Series - Discussion

All good ideas really.
    @Don, complete grid inversion was an idea that needed to be tried at some point and I'm glad we did actually, now we know it's excitement factor and pitfalls it brings. It definitely mixed up the field making it more flavorful racing but also caused some incidents that I think can be blamed for both fast guys and slower guys. The take away: Moderation, top 8 inversion to mix up fast drivers with upper mid-field runners to still use the idea but leave the slower drivers to have a better mindset to prepare for their own fight.

@Frank, URD GTEs are same spec as Studio GTE cars except Studio cars a lot better behaving and with proper physics. I've raced URD GTEs since the day they were released (so did many drivers here). They are fun and the mod has more variety in brands but the way they handle is almost identical. On the other hand I know a lot of ppl highly recommend their DTM mod which is updated recently and has a skin pack to mimic 2018 RL DTM cars. We have yet to try modern DTM cars here at CMS and I would love to race them without a doubt.

@Ben, weight penalty to top runners is a very good idea imo and has been tried in one of the CMS chapters at least once but without any obvious impact. So it requires some testing, plus some calculations and balancing as to who gets the added weight when and how. It is a "system" rather then a simple grid adjustment. I can almost hear Don grumbling when I say simple but application of weight penalty system is definitely more work for the admins. On the flip side when it's done properly it can create very close racing with good results in excitement scale. And that in return will make drivers to come back more (following seasons). Also when a weight penalty system is in place there is no reason for a reversed grid if there is a second race, since you don't want to penalize the driver twice going into a race.

As far as locked or restricted settings go, I wouldn't be in favor of it. I am like Jason, not a fast driver but I use my ability to set cars up to my "liking" to be able to compete against fast drivers. Without it I would be like my hands tied behind my back. Because aliens have the ability to throw any car into any corner and come out fast enough to beat anybody that has even a slightest discomfort with the car.

In addition; If the car comes with a base setup and we lock it to that setup then we will also be given advantage to drivers who are comfortable with that setup while others will be suffering. Remember there are drivers who like oversteering or understeering setups, and then there are some that like neutral handling. By using base setup (or any setup) on a car that is designed for adjustable settings, we will be favoring one group of drivers.

But I completely agree on setup headaches and the need for just get on the server and race approach. For that we need to find cars/mod that very simple to setup and relatively slower on track. At least one of the alternating NARS series can be like that once in a while.
    __The view is great from moral high ground__

Some years ago, there drivers were classified in 2: PRO and AM, and there were 2 Championships. The car of each driver had to indentify at which group that driver belonged. I think they were divided by the number of wins in the past, or something similar. We used the Enduracers mod for rF1 in those years, and with good success imho.
    Personally, a very fast driver will be fast with any car or setup, and a slow driver will always be slow, except you will give him a P1 car and a Fiat 500 to the alien, and even in this case there are chances the slow driver will crash the P1 in turn 1.
    I think that if there is a challenge, clean driving and chances of a good fight in the track, drivers will come.
    AP

Quote Originally Posted by Arturo_Pereira View Post
    Some years ago, there drivers were classified in 2: PRO and AM, and there were 2 Championships.
    Arturo,
    Apologies for breaking into this thread with different subject, but I just had to find out how you are doing. Have you completely recovered? I'm very happy to see you back at CMS.
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco

Yes Jon, the DTM cars are the ones i meant. i failed to specify that in my post. i have not messed around much with setup on them, basically drove them as they are with the default set up but liked the way they felt .

again, i get that there may be a lack of interest in them because they have to be purchased. not everyone is willing to go out on a limb and buy a car pack when it may only be run one season and dont know if they will even like the feel of the cars.
    i just kinda threw the idea out there again because i had seen them mentioned elsewhere and a while back on the CMS forums.

While I like the idea of a DTM series I'm not sure about about getting everyone to buy the car pack.......
    So how about a FVR V8Supercars 2018 Aussie series, we can probably find enough Aussie tracks to make a cool series.
    One car class and we'll get Doug to work up a way to divvy up the drivers into 2 classes like we did a couple series ago?

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

Quote Originally Posted by jham View Post
    Arturo,
    Apologies for breaking into this thread with different subject, but I just had to find out how you are doing. Have you completely recovered? I'm very happy to see you back at CMS.
    Thank you very much for asking, Jerry! Yes, I am doing well but not fully recovered yet. Just doing some sort of come back to online racing in 2 and a half years I just hope to last driving for more than 2 hours without a rest, but I guess I will be able to finish, which means to finish my first race since the infarction. Not bad I guess
    Thank you again for asking, my friend
    AP

FF2000 vs V8Supercars .................problem solved. V8's for sprints and inverted grid and FF2000 cars for full tank sprint...no pit stops
    2012 CMS North American and World Divison P1 Champion

Case-HAF922, Motherboard-ASUS-ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING, Processor-I5-9600K, Ram-32GB GSKILL,DVD Burner-ASUS X 2, Power Supply-Corsair HX850, Wheel-T500-Ferrari F1 Rim, Monitor-LG 42" 4K, Video Card-EVGA GeForce GTX 980 ti 6GB
    "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, then you are no longer a racing driver. I am not designed to come 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th. I am designed to win.." Ayrton Senna

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer23 View Post
    FF2000 vs V8Supercars .................problem solved. V8's for sprints and inverted grid and FF2000 cars for full tank sprint...no pit stops
    John I think we had already decided after the Rouen GT3 race, that majority wanted to continue with same GT3 cars next season. All the car mod ideas in this thread is about deciding the second series. At least that's my understanding. But there were about 15 drivers after the race that stayed around when Don was asking about next season and most (that talked) wanted GT3 cars again. We also agreed none of the tracks were going to be a repeat from this season.
    __The view is great from moral high ground__

I definitely like keeping the GT3's as the flagship series, at least until we can get big enough fields (35-40 drivers regularly) for a multi class series. Then whatever else we pick on alternating weekends be the support series for fun to the GT3.

my personal motorsports blog

10. Default

All cool about not going with open wheel.

How about an alternating spec series when not running the full GT3 group? Like the BMW, Corvette, or Porsche single car series?