Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NARS Summer Series - Discussion

I'll drive just about anything. There's only a few cars I won't drive, and they weren't mentioned in this post. The only thing I really don't like is the complete grid inverted. It does make us slower guys a bit nervous at the front knowing the fast guys are breathing down our necks. Top 8 or 10 inverted is good.
    Scott Beck
    Rothmans Racing
    MNRL
    NARS
    GBR

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fryman View Post
    But the one thing that is imperative is that whatever we choose it has to be something that everyone can get in and run with default setup or minimal changes. Most of use are working stiffs and have little to no time to prepare for our races much less time to do a bunch of setup work. This supposed to be a fun relaxing evening to take us away from real life.
    I fully agree with that. It would help a lot if more setups were shared
    AP

Quote Originally Posted by Arturo_Pereira View Post
    I fully agree with that. It would help a lot if more setups were shared
    Also helps when those needing setups ask for them directly. A post, publicly, in the forum doesn't really do it.

I'm personally more than willing to share setups, and I do so (with some) each and every race.
    But, I'm not always going to post my setups directly to a thread so that anyone and everyone can grab them up. Sometimes, setup work is my only advantage (when that is actually the case) and posting setups where everyone could grab them makes all that work a waste of time and effort.
    So, I guess you could say I'm more than willing to share with the slower guys...but I'm probably going to give the faster guys a hard time if they want the same

Just a matter of a DM, 99.9% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whited View Post
    Also helps when those needing setups ask for them directly. A post, publicly, in the forum doesn't really do it.

I'm personally more than willing to share setups, and I do so (with some) each and every race.
    But, I'm not always going to post my setups directly to a thread so that anyone and everyone can grab them up. Sometimes, setup work is my only advantage (when that is actually the case) and posting setups where everyone could grab them makes all that work a waste of time and effort.
    So, I guess you could say I'm more than willing to share with the slower guys...but I'm probably going to give the faster guys a hard time if they want the same

Just a matter of a DM, 99.9% of the time.
    Well, imho, the setups used by the fast guys, aka aliens, most of the time are only useful for the developer and not for the slow guys like me At least this happened to me several times when I asked for help in this matter.
    AP

I love keeping with Modern Day Sports cars, GT's and Protos as this series has done so well and consistently over the years. What about a spec series with fixed setups on the alternating weeks like a single car make, Mclaren Challenge, Ferrari Challenge, Porsche, etc. sort of like a support series!!! Also, I like the idea of using extremely high quality mods or exclusive first party content like P1 Gaming does. It would allow us to potentially get more support and sponsorship from the rFactor 2 Devs themselves. Would be great if we could get some similar exposure like VEC, P1, etc. to become one of if not the official Series for weeknight north america from rFactor 2 community perspective like those other 2 mentioned are doing.
    Last edited by davidan; 04-26-2019 at 05:15 PM.

my personal motorsports blog

Quote Originally Posted by davidan View Post
    I love keeping with Modern Day Sports cars, GT's and Protos as this series has done so well and consistently over the years. What about a spec series with fixed setups on the alternating weeks like a single car make, Mclaren Challenge, Ferrari Challenge, Porsche, etc. sort of like a support series!!! Also, I like the idea of using extremely high quality mods or exclusive first party content like P1 Gaming does. It would allow us to potentially get more support and sponsorship from the rFactor 2 Devs themselves.
    In a sprint series and/or 'support series' type of scheme, I personally like the fixed setup idea. Mainly because, sometimes I find myself unmotivated to spend as much practice time with short races. I don't know why. It's clearly [at least nearly] as important to develop a car that suits for shorter races, yet I find myself struggling to spend the time/effort required (and yeah, it requires that for me. I am not an "alien", so I have to work for it. ...probably more than one should, really)

I think it'd be more fitting of some little open wheel car like the USF2000 though.
    Fixed setups in tin tops (unless a few key things are unlocked so they can still be adjusted) usually ends up in frustration for me.

Quote Originally Posted by davidan View Post
    Would be great if we could get some similar exposure like VEC, P1, etc. to become one of if not the official Series for weeknight north america from rFactor 2 community perspective like those other 2 mentioned are doing.
    We need a stream, with commentary!

Fixed setup definitely is fun and easy to get in and that open wheeler is a good choice. Plus 1 for sure on stream and commentary which would be awesome. Just need a few motivated folks to get Behind that idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my personal motorsports blog

hey guys, i actually did stick around and listen to that post race discussion, but being new here I figured id let you guys do the talking and wait for the post here to "speak"

i have to say the both Jon and Jason are right on the money with the inverted grid restarts. i know, because I am one of those drivers who did feel pretty squirrely when I knew the "fast guys" were coming like a freight train. I mean some of us still get a bit shakey when being lapped with little to no traffic. But those starts, when you are trying not to wreck, trying to stay out of the way, and trying to stay in contact with the guys you normally race with is overwhelming at times Im sure i caused some tense 'which way is he going" moments. sorry for that, and hopefully dealt with it better as the season went on. With that said, the patience from MOST of those regularly seen faster guys also helped to become more comfortable in that situation as the season went on, but I do think that the racing would be better with Jons ideas on inverting the grid. i think it would sort the field better and earlier in the race to allow the natural on track battles to unfold.

Now as for the cars? i remember seeing a post or thread about the URD cars, i know they have to purchased which may limit the feild size but they are pretty funt to drive and similar to what we are racing now.
    i also like the idea of the mid level open wheelers, they may be slower and as Jason said can be boring on the wrong tracks, but if on the right tracks i believe from experience that running those types of cars may help us newer, slower guys to take it to the next level. hopefully learn a bit more about driving the car faster, not just driving a faster car. As a whole it may help to make the racing better through out the field in the long run. kind of like a summer developmental series. years ago back in the rfactor days i raced in a league called Simcar, and one of the weekly races was aimed at the entry to mid level racers to race with the top guys and not have to deal with cars that were a handful to drive and set up. that series helped me to learn to drive faster and more importantly in close quarters with other cars. The slower cars let you mimmick/learn how to brake, corner and choose your lines, while following the faster guys for as long as you could hang on to them. we even had AJ Almendinger as one of our regulars, just around the time he was leaving Champcar for NASCAR.

just my 2 cents. actually looking at how much i typed its more like a nickle

The Sprint race series and the inverted grid was all my idea. I proposed the inverted grid to put some of the guys up front who normally don't run there giving them a chance for a good finish. And this did actually let a couple guys have good finishes.
    But listening to what you (those that have spoke up) have to say it is now clear that some of you don't want to be put in that position, which is fine and going forward we will not do.
    It also occurred to me that only inverting the top 8/10 will be an incentive to be more careful in the first race, unless you don't mind starting at the back of the pack

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

Just wanted to throw this against the wall and see if it sticks:

1. Add weight to winners as is done in BTCC

2. Run a spec series with the BMW 320i

Whatever you guys decide works for me just having a blast running again.