Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NARS Summer Series - Discussion

1. Default 2019 NARS Summer Series - Discussion

Same GT3 cars one week and maybe a lower formula class (Formula BMW) on alternating weeks?

No repeat of any track we ran in the current series.

Short first race as a quali race then a longer race (30-40 minutes) as the second race.

Weighted points more towards the second race.

Ideas and discuss please!

-----------------------
    Last edited by Doug Atkinson; 04-25-2019 at 10:44 PM.

Doug no offense to your open wheel option but Formula BMW is one of the ugliest cars out there. I think we need a little better handling and some extra power too, USF2000 2016 cars from Studio is the ticket: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=804789421
    I never raced them (just few test runs) but I know studio put a lot of effort into this mod and over 56K subscribers kinda proves that.

Some other complementary ideas for the race format:
    - Single flying lap qualy
    - Short first race (heat race) to decide grid positions for the main race (10-15 min long), awards half the points compare to main race points.
    - Main race 40-45 min long. Grid set either according to heat race results, or still heat race results but top 8 inverted.

I think drivers will still go after those points paid in heat race, even if top 8 are inverted on the grid of main race, since main race is long enough to chase after a podium finish for those faster drivers. And only top 8 inversion should make a much closer fight up front in opening laps, instead of
    mixing fast and slow drivers we do this season. I think fast drivers breathing on slower drivers neck in second races made a lot ppl uncomfortable and caused too many incidents.
    __The view is great from moral high ground__

So there is interest in some sort of open wheels??
    Not my interest but let's hear from more of you as these series are put together to have fun and bring the most of you out.
    Also 2 car classes or 2 driver classes again?

For the sprint races I was thinking similar to Jon:
    - GT3's like now
    - Short open qualifying
    - First race a 15 minute heat race
    - Main race 45 minutes with the grid set from the heat race and the top 10 inverted, and main race paying 3 times the points of the heat race.

We had a nice chat after final race last night but some left too soon and not everybody is/was on Discord so let's hear from more of you!

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

Perhaps they are difficult to master, but if we talk about open wheelers I would try the following mix: McLaren M23 vs Brabham BT44 vs March761. I donīt know if there are huge difference between these cars though.

Another choice could be the 1991 ASR F1 cars, including the Ferrari 643, the McLaren MP4/6, the Williams FW14, etc..

All available for free in Steam.

Having said that, I prefer the GT3 or tne Endurance Package mix. 3 main events (Daytona 2.4h, Sebring 90m and LeMans 2.4h). And the other events hosted at tracks like Watkins Glen, Spa, Silverstone and, of course, Nurburgring (the green hell)
    AP

Have to agree with Jon. The Formula BMW is quite ugly. It's also boring, imo.

I was trying to dig up the thread at S397 forum listing all cars on the newest tire model, but I can't seem to find it this morning.
    Can't remember if USF2000 2016 cars were listed there or not (IIRC, I don't think it was)
    I've raced these things over at RD a few times. Always close, wheel to wheel type of racing from them. They are fun, but can be tricky to take to the edge. It's kind of 'on rails', but setup work can make it somewhat more forgiving.

I like the McLaren/Brabham/March more myself, but I fear we might come up short on participation after some time. But, perhaps not. They are super fun and challenging, and a nice mix up considering the other series ran here.

Arturo, I think ASR F1 cars are out of the question here. Reasons can be found if one goes looking. (But I could be wrong)

I like the grid inversion change. Agree that it makes some that get stuck up front in race 2 too uncomfortable and just causes problems. Reversing top 8 or top 10 seems to work out better with less incidents in race 2.

GT3 sounds good. I can get on with that scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whited View Post
    Have to agree with Jon. The Formula BMW is quite ugly. It's also boring, imo.

I was trying to dig up the thread at S397 forum listing all cars on the newest tire model, but I can't seem to find it this morning.
    Can't remember if USF2000 2016 cars were listed there or not (IIRC, I don't think it was)
    I've raced these things over at RD a few times. Always close, wheel to wheel type of racing from them. They are fun, but can be tricky to take to the edge. It's kind of 'on rails', but setup work can make it somewhat more forgiving.

I like the McLaren/Brabham/March more myself, but I fear we might come up short on participation after some time. But, perhaps not. They are super fun and challenging, and a nice mix up considering the other series ran here.

Arturo, I think ASR F1 cars are out of the question here. Reasons can be found if one goes looking. (But I could be wrong)

I like the grid inversion change. Agree that it makes some that get stuck up front in race 2 too uncomfortable and just causes problems. Reversing top 8 or top 10 seems to work out better with less incidents in race 2.

GT3 sounds good. I can get on with that scheme.
    Hi Jason,
    I think the ASR F1s could be too much for most of us. I never tried them. They could be fun but the learning curve could be very steep. In any case, choosing a difficult mod would be justified only if it will be used for several seasons, not just for one.
    AP

Also traditionally NARS always used modern race cars, usually GT class. There is MNRL and Sunday's Historics chapter for racing with classic cars. NARS joining them can be dangerous.
    __The view is great from moral high ground__

Quote Originally Posted by Arturo_Pereira View Post
    Hi Jason,
    I think the ASR F1s could be too much for most of us. I never tried them. They could be fun but the learning curve could be very steep. In any case, choosing a difficult mod would be justified only if it will be used for several seasons, not just for one.
    I was speaking more about the legitimacy of the mod itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Uyan View Post
    Also traditionally NARS always used modern race cars, usually GT class. There is MNRL and Sunday's Historics chapter for racing with classic cars. NARS joining them can be dangerous.
    Dangerous?
    If interest is not there it'll be reflected in a thread like this. Nothing dangerous about floating ideas or mixing it up a bit, especially when two series are being run concurrently. MNRL has traditionally done historics, but we've branched out a bit with the modern Brazilian Stocks last season and that series did well amongst a group that traditionally run classics type stuff.
    Personally, I like to mix it up because, often, the modern cars get a bit stagnant to me after spending too much time in them, but to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Uyan View Post
    That is correct, as far back as I can remember NARS has used the modern sports cars in multi-class endurance type races.
    And that is MY preference, but if we have the interest I would have no problem trying out a modern open wheel.
    But the one thing that is imperative is that whatever we choose it has to be something that everyone can get in and run with default setup or minimal changes. Most of use are working stiffs and have little to no time to prepare for our races much less time to do a bunch of setup work. This supposed to be a fun relaxing evening to take us away from real life.

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whited View Post
    I was speaking more about the legitimacy of the mod itself.
    Oh, I didnīt think about that. Checking their site there are many cars for rF2 and Automobilista given for free but they charge for others: https://www.asrformula.com/mods/
    AP