Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mid(Night)-Ohio Post-Race

I really enjoy reading the stories and recaps everyone, thanks for continuing to share. As for my race last night, first and foremost I was very impressed with how overall everyone worked together and handled the dark. It was a good group effort and it showed in an overall solid race for the league. For me in particular I was my typical 3/4 to 1 second slower than the top guys, but I was pretty steady. Only one incident and I ran a bunch of consectuive mid 1:19.5xx laps which helped me move into the top 10. More importantly my teammates and I Phil Elmore and Larry Ford had a really nice drive as a group together on Discord and one of our more fun races of the year. Phil held on for a finish after some trouble early in the race where he was collected, and Larry had a very solid drive with ZERO practice. Phil built a really solid setup for us that we all used and we had fun. As some of you know several of us are very involved in the day to day running of CMS, and so for us all to have a nice drive and a few laughs last night without any issues for the most part left us all feeling good !

DA

my personal motorsports blog

Weird, but fun race indeed.
    Like Liam - very appreciative of the GT3's that shop up for practise and partake in good, constructive conversations that lead to nicely choreographed multi-class racing.
    Made the stupid mistake of trying to qualify on low fuel and adjusted setup when I hadn't tuned anything but race setups all week so I was a good half second or more slower.
    The green flag did seem to catch everyone off-guard but made it through pretty clean and then went wide a few times as Dion caught me out braking a bit earlier than expected.
    Liam let me back in line a few times without putting up a fight - thanks man.
    Starting to get some heat in the tire - yes it did seem extra cold, and no grip - wasn't just you JJ! Finally got a decent run and sent it up the inside of Dion into the Keyhole.
    Starting gapping and closing in on Kris, and then he all of a sudden really slowed down and missed a few apexes and went wide letting me through at Madness.
    Caught up to Jason and Peter after a few more laps and started to see where Peter would pull away and where I could reel him back in.
    Had a couple of good close tussles where he held me off, and then I have yet to watch the replay but going into Madness he seemed to hit snap oversteer and opened up the door and I took the inside going up the hill. He caught it though and turned in and we collided. Didn't feel like much of a hit and I did not seem to take any damage. Thankfully he lost only 1 spot and advised his car felt ok. Sorry again Pete. Even if it was a 'racing incident' felt bad as we were running close.
    From there it was just head down until my stop.
    Crew Chief was telling me almost exactly what our internal chief - Mr. Collier had planned. Put in the set amount and go.
    Came out in the same spot until 3 laps later and Mr. Lundy pitted and I was able to pip him.
    Then it got dark, real dark.
    Like Liam eloquently put it, I was racing exactly the same - trust my instincts and timing - brake, pause, turn-in, pray!
    Watched my gap to Peter and was able to hang on and bring it home to top the Am class.
    Well done everyone.
    Hope to get a bigger turn out again. Racing with all of you is what often makes my week.
    Cheers.

Hopefully iRacing installs more effective headlights soon - dark is an understatement! I think a candle mounted on the front of the car would have lit up the road better. Anyways, it was challenge, so I appreciate that.

I slid through my pit box as I ran out of fuel. I thought I stalled it, so I tried re-firing and wasted about about 5 seconds, then had a 10 second tow. Meanwhile, Drew and Pete got out of ahead of me. I had conserved tires during the first stint and knew I had some pace in the car and thought I had a good chance of possibly passing Pete and catching Drew BUT I missed my braking point for keyhole in the dark, locked up and went off into the kitty litter LOL

I caught back up to Pete at the end for a nice Puffin Racing formation finish.

P.S. Where are all of the GT3 cars? The racing in GT3 has looked good all season, but only 4 GT3s are a disappointment.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

4. Default

Feel like I'm starting get comfortable with this form of racing. Didn't have my first incident until lap 25 when I dropped the left sides off then had one solo spin a little later and ended up with a total of 4 X. I ran exactly the number of laps I figured and when I took the white flag my spotter told me I had 2 laps of fuel left. Now I need to work on getting some speed. My best lap during practice was still about a second slower than the fast guys so I need to work on consistency too.

The transition to darkness was tough for me too. I couldn't see the corners until I was right on top of them. Congrats to the winners and podiums.

Paul, the F1 black box shows the time remaining.

Something else I though was interesting - using the same setup, our team had vastly different tire wear.

Both of my fronts were mid 80s and it was actually my front left that was more worn than my front right. (I think I'm remembering that right - I know it was the opposite tire than the rest of my team had more worn).

Apparently I can double stint tires. And/or I need to figure out how to use more tire.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dlidkea View Post
    .. went wide a few times as Dion caught me out braking a bit earlier than expected.
    Yeah I tend to take it a bit easy on the first lap or two but probably a bit too easy which makes my driving unpredictable for those behind me. Ill work on that.

Quote Originally Posted by exSaint View Post
    Apparently I can double stint tires. And/or I need to figure out how to use more tire.
    I think most of us do double stint. Seems to be an iracing thing i think, from memory id always need to take new tires in RF2 races of this length.
    Obutto Rev | Oculus Rift | Fanatec Clubsport v2.5 + Formula Wheel | Heusinkveld Pro Pedals

The GTEs are capable of running for an hour on 100% fuel, so you don't *have* to take tires.

With the time penalty since tires are done after fuel, I don't think anyone ever takes tires.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

Quote Originally Posted by ignition22 View Post
    I think most of us do double stint. Seems to be an iracing thing i think, from memory id always need to take new tires in RF2 races of this length.
    Quote Originally Posted by Z_Stig View Post
    The GTEs are capable of running for an hour on 100% fuel, so you don't *have* to take tires.

With the time penalty since tires are done after fuel, I don't think anyone ever takes tires.
    I misspoke. I already double stint. What I meant to say was that I could do a doubleheader (two races) on the same set of tires.

Start the Glen a little sooner in game time. If it ends about 7:30, that would be perfect. Dusk good, night bad...

Quote Originally Posted by exSaint View Post
    Haha! What corner is that? Haven't heard that name before.
    T19 - I had to look it up on a track map - the last turn of the esses leading into Thunder Valley. That little crest right in the middle of the turn will GITCHA! if you get on the gas too soon.