Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mid(Night)-Ohio Post-Race

Quote Originally Posted by exSaint View Post
    Something else I though was interesting - using the same setup, our team had vastly different tire wear.
    Tell me about it... Jay is able to get amazing tire wear - usually finishing a one hour race with 80%+ remaining. No idea how he does it and still runs fast laps.

I didn't make last night's race, but as far as future events, I think they should mimic the real world event times.

The Glen, if we're duplicating the 6Hrs race, it starts around 9:30am Eastern, and ends at 3:30. We should run an hour in the middle of that range.

I see now that there's no way to set up a race easily with the BetaUI to set a specific time, and even if you create an event it can't be edited in the BetaUI. iRacing really needs to get their act together on that UI, or at the very least have all options available on their old site. You also can't create custom car classes in the BetaUI (that I've found), and to adjust fuel fill it's a slider that doesn't change values until you stop moving the slider point! They need a big grumpy email from me....

Scheduling a practice session at Watkins Glen for Monday night, It looks like Afternoon is 2:48pm local time, and Morning is 7:46am, and Late Afternoon is 6:22pm, so by the time practice, qualifying and race ends it will be past sunset which is around 8:30pm, so an Afternoon session should work fine. That's what I'll set the practice to, but can edit.

Seriously iRacing, we have control over session start times....sort of? This should be a whole lot easier to do.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

good times guys...reading all of this was just as entertaining as the race. It seems that I'm in a different opinion of the day night racing. I dig the night stuff with all the darkness and maybe its from racing on a bunch of shitty tracks with crap lights in my life that makes this fun. To me its all about track memory, muscle memory, situational awareness. So I don't mind the darkness and thought it brought on a bit of realism, I'm also old and have bad vision...lol

to the race: So during practice I knew that that guys were going to have a rough time with the dark so the plan was to stay as close to the front of class as possible and not burn off the tires. as it happened I was q1 and controlled the race at my pace although brother Paul was all over me like a cheap suit at a pimp convention and I just had to keep him in check. I felt I could pull away at any time and then cruise and then do it again. I was also surprised at how long it for the GTE to catch us and I was able to use them and guards against Paul to get away give the tires a break and when Paul would catch up here would come another GTE...repeat, start over. It was a great cat/mouse exercise. I didn't say one word during the race, not that I didn't want to my mic stopped working during practice just before start of the race. Drew was the only one that we almost zigged when we should have zagged but it worked out and the other GTE drivers were awesome as well with the passing and patience. I really appreciate the not flashing of lights. Situational awareness i know your there I have mirrors and use them, only got flashed once all night...

Tire wear was just incredible once again and it was on average XX% bwahahaha...I don't know what I do differently than say Paul we are just different even with the same set up and that has been for as long as we have raced each other.

good times cant wait for the darkness at the Glen...lol

Life's journey is not about showing up to the grave in a well preserved body, But to come in sideways totally used up Shouting WOO HOO what a F*&^ing ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dargert View Post
    I don't know what I do differently than say Paul we are just different even with the same set up and that has been for as long as we have raced each other.
    I'm learning from following you and AJ around so much. Drive smarter, not harder is my new mantra...

good times guys...reading all of this was just as entertaining as the race. It seems that I'm in a different opinion of the day night racing. I dig the night stuff with all the darkness and maybe its from racing on a bunch of shitty tracks with crap lights in my life that makes this fun. To me its all about track memory, muscle memory, situational awareness. So I don't mind the darkness and thought it brought on a bit of realism, I'm also old and have bad vision...lol
    I'm with Jay. I appreciate having unusual circumstances to deal with, like time of day, track conditions and weather. Can't wait for iRacing to have fully dynamic weather with RAIN.

Drew was the only one that we almost zigged when we should have zagged but it worked out and the other GTE drivers were awesome as well with the passing and patience. I really appreciate the not flashing of lights. Situational awareness i know your there I have mirrors and use them, only got flashed once all night...
    l
    Yeah sorry Jay, I thought you were going to hold your line, you were the true Gentlemen and tried to make it easy and I misread it.
    Can't remember but I might have been the one that flashed you as Paul had announced just before the start for the GTE's to remember to flash to let the GT3's know we were going to go by. I think I mistakenly took this as for all GT3's and not just him.
    You had that Marc flying.

FYI,

I changed the start time for Watkins Glen to Morning (7:46 Am.)

We used the normal user interface to setup our races, which I believe is required for the method we are using to keep score. using the normal UI ,the only options for start times are:
    1. Sun Rise (5:47 Am)
    2. Morning (7:46 Am)
    3. Afternoon (2:48 Pm)
    4. Later Afternoon (6:51 Pm)
    5. Sun Set (8:22 Pm)
    6. Night (9:35 Pm)

Now the times that I have posted for those options are for today's date (03/18/2019) and at the Watkins Glen Track. as we move into summer the times will change but the position of the sun will remain consistent for the option selected as i understand it.