Thread: VIR North Results & Discussion

Default VIR North Results & Discussion

Last edited by Hutch; 01-27-2019 at 11:34 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

I was feeling pretty good in practice, then suddenly everybody turned up the wick in quali and dusted me! We had a very fast and very close pointy end of the grid tonight, there was just no telling who was going to come home with the win. I did my best to mix it up on the start, but only a couple of corners in I slid wide and went to the back. The back of the grid wasn't slouching, either, and it took me a few laps to get close to my starting position. Finally I got within about 5 seconds of Ray and Joe, and it was all I could do to keep their pace- I watched them mix it up for like a half hour, with other cars leaving and joining the battle at various times, but through it all I just couldn't close in. One by one everybody cycled through the pits, until finally I'm in 2nd place following Ray. I had a fairly late scheduled stop at lap 24, took tires and fuel and came back out just behind Dave and Jason, which I was very happy with. Jason slid off shortly after that, and Dave started to pull away, so it seemed like my place was fairly solid. I kept waiting to get Ray in sight again after his pit stop, but it wasn't happening; then Mihaly's connection drops (from the lead, sadly- I must say, I can't even imagine how you continue to be so fast while carrying that extra weight! Amazing!) So the laps are dwindling and not only have I not regained sight of Ray, but by now he has to have pitted and he's leading the race! And brings it home for the win! Congrats and well done, Ray! The hard-earned ones are always the best!
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

WOW!!! Ray! Well done, guy!

Well knock me down with a feather!!!!! This was such an odd race. I had practiced early after Feldberg and felt ok and then didn't realize the race was Sunday until I saw a post from Mike about race week. Then, I was feeling like this would be a grind after the exhilaration of Feldberg - and I have never been particularly good at any VIR version. And, I just don't have the pace of most of this field on a regular basis. Top 5s are good results for me and even those are usually the result of something unfortunate happening to others. So when I Q'd 6th it was shaping to be a typical week although I knew I could get pretty good lap times without abusing the tires. And my fuel mileage turned out to be pretty good too.

Race started and I was able to hang in the top 5 and not hurt the tires. After the early offs and gathers I was in a good duel with Joe and was driving clean and keeping the small gap. I drifted wide in the chicane and had to let Joe by and then the roles reversed for a while. Joe was getting his times by sliding the car - it was fun to watch - but at the expense of his tires and he pitted at the half way mark. My tires were still easily in the green above mid-way on the scale so I though I might be able to inch closer to a podium. Especially if others were doing the same - and lets face it - the temptation to slide these cars is always there, they are just that much fun. I waited and now MK was behind me and we gradually moved to 1-2 as the leaders pitted. Mike pitted fairly late (L24 I think he mentioned) and I opted to go one more lap and then duck in. Tires were decent, planned 10 litres and dropped it to 1, and then coming out of the pits started to panic that I wouldn't have enough fuel. Then MM had his connection issue - he was 10+ seconds ahead when I left the pits - and I was into P1. I had 9-10 seconds and was still doing decent laps. And then the race ended. I don't have much practice at this race win thing so I sat there a moment - actually I was trying to drive back to the pits just to be sure and then the session changed so I knew it was official. Then, I had to try and type with a Rift on my noggin and I proved my incompetence at that skill as well. Thanks All - all of you set a very high standard on the track ( and I highly suspect in life as well) and it feels good to have approached that level for an hour on a Sunday evening - .

I turn 60 in a little over a month. Winning races was never something I did much of in this hobby. This one may just have to carry me for a while. 2019 is my self assigned year of managing me. I read a book that talked about handling pressure on the golf course (a whole other conversation) that led me to read a book called the HeartMath Solution. It talks about the effects of stress on our bodies and it resonated. They describe a technique (3 actually) for managing yourself under stress so I have been practicing that technique for several weeks. Did it impact last night? Hard to say because I actually didn't practice yesterday. But the long term goal is that you seamlessly use the technique during the day. My mind was as uncluttered as it has been in a race in a long time. I never felt stressed - especially under Joe's relentless push. I just drove.

I got a second nice result in row (that's a welcome change!). Wasn't expecting to be competitive to be honest. I figured the track was too tight for the 356. But the long straight allowed me to catch up many tenths (maybe even 0.5 sec).
    Then again I didn't have any ballast to carry, contrary to many (those days are over for me !!!)
    Maybe I could have finished higher if it wasn't for my over driving resulting in spinouts, cause I had a competitive pace and the car is a bit easier than before. Retrospectively, not changing tires surely costed me more than the time I saved…
    Anyhow, really enjoyed this event and got plenty of action and drama. That fight with Dave at the end was an emotional roller coaster. Thought I was safe until I had an accidental contact with a lapped car spinning out with 2 laps to go. I was sure I wouldn't have enough time to catch Dave back. The Porsche muscles on the straight made a huge difference to close the gap and make the pass at the very last corner (and Dave's wheels on the grass).
    Congrats Ray, a perfect drive from what I saw.

Total bummer for Mihaly though, he really was the fastest dude out there. I hope this kind of server instability was an isolated event. I got disconnected too in qual, never happened before. I'll try to do a lot more laps on the server for Pau to see if anything happens on my end again.
    Last edited by Swordsman; 01-29-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Had a really fun time at this track and I managed to qualify 3rd even with the extra weight. I got a good start at the green and managed to move up ahead of Christopher but the Porsche had a lot more top end and he was able to get beside me into the braking area. We both tried to out brake the other and the both of us wound up braking to late and went off track. I didn't go to far off track so I was able to get back into the race in P4 behind Jason. We had a great battle going on, he was able to stretch out a lead on the straights but I was able to catch back up through the twisties. I did manage to sneak by him into turn 3 (I think it was) and now I was the mouse and he was doing everything to try to catch back up and over take me. Unfortunately he got a wheel off in the last corner and went off track so now I had a bit of breathing room and I was up into P2 with Mihaly ahead of me.

I was slowly catching up to him but I had to duck into the pits for fuel around lap 23, and the pit stop burnt me again! I've really got to figure the pit stops in this game, I was waiting for the pit crew to tell me to go so I sat there for about 15 or 20 seconds waiting and waiting, then I realized that the crew doesn't tell me when I can go like other games (come on AC, get this fixed will you). So I came out of the pits in P6 a good 15 seconds behind P5. I drove like hell trying to make up time knowing most of the others still needed to pit and once the pit cycling was complete I was up into P3 with Patrice and Ray ahead off me. Patrice and I were having a great battle but he was faster than me so I backed off a bit to save my tires and he was able to stretch out the gap. With just over 2 laps to go I was coming out of turn 5a and the race showed a yellow flag incident up ahead and there was Patrice off track to the left and a lapped car off track to the right and I was able to slip by both of them for P2. Now I just need to keep Patrice behind me for 2 more laps and I was good for a P2 podium. He was catching me at a good pace but I still had enough of a gap to just drive clean and get through the last set of corners - 10 through 13. Took T10 nice and clean, then same for 11 and then I broke to late and got a wheel off into the grass taking me off track and allowing Patrice to slip by for P2 at the finish. DAMN! I was cussing and swearing at myself for the screw up but to be fair Patrice would have had P2 if not for the incident with the other car.

Great win Ray, you had the best pit strategy for the race and deserved it.

Cya all at Pau. I've never heard of this track but look forward to another great battle royal
    Dave Slee (DaveS) #38

I must have forgotten most, if not everything, that I had learned in the initial races in this series.
    Decided to take about half a tank of fuel (forgetting that refueling the Porsche takes far long than tires if you need 30-40 liters) and the plan was to come in about half way through, grab some fresh rubbers and enough fuel to finish.

In the opening stages of the race, I was able to hang at the front, even leading for a very brief span of time.
    But I was abusing the living hell out of the tires the entire time. Power sliding and drifting the car around like tires didn't matter.

I was also having what seemed like moments of brake fade. I did not know, nor do I know now, if that is actually a thing in AC. I suppose it could be and would be nice if Patrice could clarify that for me. @Patrice, is brake fade a thing in the Porsche, or was I just overcooking it? Even braking early at times, I got caught out by it more than once. I'd realized it in practicing, and was trying to be cautious, but a few times it caught me out for sure and I'd push wide or cut track and have to lift so as not to gain time doing so.

I was still in good position come the time for my stop. But as soon as I pulled in and realized how long the fuel was taking, I knew it was over for me from a competitive perspective.
    Still, I tried to push in the second half, and did make up some positions lost on the long stop...but it was not even close to enough to make up for the fuel. ...not to mention at this point I was driving even harder and making more mistakes (maybe even a bit of red mist...but that's besides the point...lol)

Hard lesson learned, to be more aware and prepared.
    The Porsche, while ok to drive here, is still a monster. I feel like I'm doing twice the wheel work I need/have to do in any other car, but it obviously can compete at the front. I just need to calm down and quit sliding it so much, start focusing on consistency and such rather than trying to go 100%. It's much faster that way, but such patience is very hard to come by sometimes for me.

Really feel for Mihaly, losing a lead like he did, that sucks!
    But Ray, boy oh boy, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that result. Where in the hell did you come from? lol
    Even in quali, after the first few laps, I see this 1:48 coming out with his name on it right off the top and I'm thinking to myself, "damn, Ray is on FIRE tonight, what's the secret here"....
    Very happy to see a different name at the top, no matter the situation. Have to take stuff like disconnects as "sudden failures" I suppose, and a win is a win, you take em how you get em. No matter the way it played out, it was certainly earned, and it's not like the rest of the field was slouching any. Everyone was quite competitive and very much on pace here. I felt a lot of pressure to preform well because of it, and that's the kind of thing I thrive on.

Pau is a track I don't know, and I'm looking forward to attempting to manhandle this Porsche once again, so I'll see you all there!

Grats to Ray, and to the rest of the podium. It was a blast, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whited View Post
    I was also having what seemed like moments of brake fade. I did not know, nor do I know now, if that is actually a thing in AC. I suppose it could be and would be nice if Patrice could clarify that for me. @Patrice, is brake fade a thing in the Porsche, or was I just overcooking it?
    Brake fade is definately possible in AC! It took one of the last official release to fix this omission, but it's there (not all mod cars use it however).
    I made sure there were some consequence to overheating the brakes (and having cold brakes too!). I aimed at recreating the feel from the Power&Glory mod, where braking was always an adventure on it's own.