Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMS (Automobilista) - Help, Support & Tips

Default AMS (Automobilista) - Help, Support & Tips

Just something I played around with yesterday, and am amazed at the easy and quick results.

DSR....Dynamic Super Resolution

A few years ago (has it really been that long ago? ) a fellow CMS member turned me on to DSR. (Thank you Mr. Tim Collier!)
    However, after testing (at that time with GTX 660) I found it was somewhat out of reach and the framerates weren't acceptable, so I abandoned the idea and forgot about it.

Yesterday, in pursuit of some shadow solutions in rF2, I again ran across talk of DSR.
    Started reading about how well it worked with older DX9 game engines. .....hummm, been a while since I tried this, I've got some time to kill and a nice little 1050Ti to work with now. A LOT of overhead in AMS, even maxed out (love that about this sim, btw!)....

So I gave it a go....and WOW!

I was able to negate the performance impact(s) by completely turning off the AA I was using in game. (I did go back to a low AA setup, but only to make it even nicer, and seeing how far I could push it before it impacts framerate fluidity)

Wildly, even at 4k, the performance impact is far smaller than the impact of all the AA I was running before (which was a lot)

This has increased the look and immersion of AMS x10 fold for me, and I am very grateful I rediscovered information that I was previously gifted by Tim.
    Lucky for me, when I was first turned on to DSR, I did a lot of reading, so there was no learning curve (which there really isn't much of one anyways, this is REALLY easy to set up) and I was able to get right to it.

I encourage and recommend anyone with some GPU overhead to play with to test this out with AMS.
    You won't hardly believe the difference. The clarity of cars around me, hell the clarity of EVERYTHING for that matter.....wow, just wow!

.....this isn't a "how to"...just a "go have a look see thread"...so I'm out for now.
    But if anyone wants to toy around with this and needs some help, just toss those questions right on into this thread and we'll sort it if/when we can.

Merry Christmas, CMS family!

Cool! So are you setting it up via the nvidia control panel?

-See You On Track!

Quote Originally Posted by HeatCAN View Post
    Cool! So are you setting it up via the nvidia control panel?
    Yes. Thus far I just set it globally, and that's also gave a sharper look to my desktop and everything else for that matter.
    Going to spend a bit of time some day soon setting it up for a single program so I don't have to turn the DSR factors off and on manually...but it's just a click or two anyways, so not a big deal for me right now.

Most all here should have GPUs that have DSR capability. I'd imagine all that race here do anyways.

Definitely recommend, yet again, checking this out in some depth because it really brings AMS to life in a way that I could not before.
    Might only actually see it in 1080, but by golly, the difference is not just noticeable, it's a HUGE improvement.

Under the DSR factor listing in Nvidia control panel, there's also a "DSR smoothing" slider. I've set that to 0%...some may need a little smoothing.
    This will all be monitor dependent and yata yata.

The increased clarity, and the improved AA is enough to dig into it.
    The reduction of "ghosting" seen on my end (somewhat a product of capping at 60fps with vsync, and then some other things too) is the largest improvement beyond the clarity, for me personally.
    The ghosting in AMS was something I didn't particularly have issue with, but it could be noticeable if I fixated on it. That has been reduced a LOT using this.

As you can tell....I'm really, really liking this and wish I'd implemented it in AMS eons ago (like the day I switched to the 1050Ti)

Nice feature.
    Makes me wonder what other cool stuff I'm missing out on. Just so much to learn, so much to absorb and try to understand.
    But I enjoy the hell out of every bit of it.....so here I am, fiddling with it once more

Nice Jason,

Same here for me, DSR on my old 560 had brought everything to a halt.

Could you please post the Inspector setting your using with DSR, I'll give it a try.

Right now, with the 970, I'm running everything full on with 16xS 8xSuper 8xAF in 2650x1080.

THX
    I own crappy boxes... well you know what? 16gigs of 1866 HyperX FURY on a Asus P7P55 LX with an i7-860 running a used GTX970 4GD5T OC on an new AOC Q2963 21:9 screen... I'm doing way better! I even got myself a barely used G29! But I still endlessly mod rFactor...

I always thought AMS in-game display is kinda meh! Despite running everything on max. Have a GTX 1060 6GB, and I will give the DSR a go but first one question: DSR option is not available in AMS' "Program Settings" and
    only available in "Global Settings". Since my global settings are different than AMS program settings how does the Nvidia Control Panel apply DSR? Or, do I have to match both Global and AMS program settings to take advantage of the feature?
    I know I could try all the settings one at a time instead of asking but I have been going thru a lot of meddling with rF2 and gpx settings last two days so to reduce my headache I'm choosing the easy way (sorry ).
    __The view is great from moral high ground__

Jon,

Nvidia Control Panel is lethargic and quite limited.

I would suggest you use the nVidia Profile Inspector.

There is only one way to understand the Profile Inspector :
    Guru3D.com threads nvidia-inspector-introduction-and-guide

One thing, the link on the page to the " Open Source "Nvidia Profile Inspector" by Orbmu2k " sends you to the source code repository. Not good... unless you know how to compile C language code.
    The link for the standard version on Guru3D is good dough. That is the on I use as I run Win7. I think Orbmu2k's version works better with Win10.
    The following is the Release page:
    GitHub.com Orbmu2k nvidiaProfileInspector releases

With the inspector, you can control a lot more stuff. When running, it can inject the settings directly to the card. Game engine are code like they are coded... all different. In the Inspector, you can specify the engine. It's called the Compatibility Bits.
    For AMS, the DX9 Bits are: 0x004412C1
    For rF2, the DX11 Bits are: 0x000112C1
    Last edited by Gilles Lalonde; 12-25-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    I own crappy boxes... well you know what? 16gigs of 1866 HyperX FURY on a Asus P7P55 LX with an i7-860 running a used GTX970 4GD5T OC on an new AOC Q2963 21:9 screen... I'm doing way better! I even got myself a barely used G29! But I still endlessly mod rFactor...

Thanks for the info Gilles. But, I'm having a huge rF2 problem atm and it's sucking all of my time and energy. Will get to this later.
    __The view is great from moral high ground__

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles Lalonde View Post
    Jon,

Nvidia Control Panel is lethargic and quite limited.

I would suggest you use the nVidia Profile Inspector.

There is only one way to understand the Profile Inspector :
    Guru3D.com threads nvidia-inspector-introduction-and-guide

One thing, the link on the page to the " Open Source "Nvidia Profile Inspector" by Orbmu2k " sends you to the source code repository. Not good... unless you know how to compile C language code.
    The link for the standard version on Guru3D is good dough. That is the on I use as I run Win7. I think Orbmu2k's version works better with Win10.
    The following is the Release page:
    GitHub.com Orbmu2k nvidiaProfileInspector releases

With the inspector, you can control a lot more stuff. When running, it can inject the settings directly to the card. Game engine are code like they are coded... all different. In the Inspector, you can specify the engine. It's called the Compatibility Bits.
    For AMS, the DX9 Bits are: 0x004412C1
    For rF2, the DX11 Bits are: 0x000112C1
    I'd definitely recommend Inspector, and I am still using the DX9 bits.
    Other than a few other alteration though, Inspector really isn't needed or useful here, that I can see. I don't see any options for screen resolution, or for setting the DSR factors...?....maybe I'm overlooking it?

The compatibility bits are useful, but I am going to experiment with them...I think maybe they won't be needed if using DSR.

Here's a sample of my Inspector settings for AMS. ....mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Uyan View Post
    Thanks for the info Gilles. But, I'm having a huge rF2 problem atm and it's sucking all of my time and energy. Will get to this later.
    What kind of issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Uyan View Post
    I always thought AMS in-game display is kinda meh! Despite running everything on max. Have a GTX 1060 6GB, and I will give the DSR a go but first one question: DSR option is not available in AMS' "Program Settings" and
    only available in "Global Settings". Since my global settings are different than AMS program settings how does the Nvidia Control Panel apply DSR? Or, do I have to match both Global and AMS program settings to take advantage of the feature?
    I know I could try all the settings one at a time instead of asking but I have been going thru a lot of meddling with rF2 and gpx settings last two days so to reduce my headache I'm choosing the easy way (sorry ).
    After you apply the DSR factors in your global settings, you need to run the AMS config and confirm it changed the resolution.
    If it didn't, manually do that. Then you might want to lower your AA if you had it way high, or maybe not...you can test that. I've posted my Inspector settings, some things in there can be seen through the Nvidia Control Panel.

Setting this up and having it be useful and effective, without much hiccup from the sim, was part of the bonus for me.
    Welcomed changed, after having mucked around with rF2 a bit too much.