Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Historics Fall Season Race 5 - Feldbergring

Sorry to hear about your problems Chris, hope you get well soon.
    __The view is great from moral high ground__

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
    I should make this one (love Feldbergring), but I may still be sore after breaking a rib or two in a fall a few days back (they don't tape you up any more).

I'm able to drive my E46 without much difficulty, except for bumps and other road hazards, but I sure am slow getting both in and out of the car. Really makes you feel like an old man--you do everything very slowly, and you hunch over to avoid any sudden moves. Coughing and sneezing are not pleasant moments either...so I'm learning to suck on cough drops (often!) and yawn when a sneeze comes on. You can't yawn and sneeze at the same time, so that one actually works.

The hiccups are "un-fun" too, but that's happened only once so far.

Really glad we are ramping up next week, and not this one.
    A few 'days' ago, and you plan for those puppies to be healed in a week?
    You heal amazing fast, if that is the case.

Sucks to hear though.
    Know all about those broke ribs. And as a smoker, about the coughing and such too. OOOOUCH!

...bout 9 years ago now, I broke all mine (pushed one through a lung..that hurt a bit..lol)
    Spent the next 3 or more months trying to recover. Didn't help I was the sole caretaker for a person that cannot walk on their own. Also didn't help that said person was making multiple dr visits at the time because of their own issues, and I was the sole load em up and get em back in the house guy (you know, ambulance charing $700 bucks to take person on a 5 mile trip just doesn't cut it for most)

So here I am...broke ribs and all, trying to hoist a 190lb man into a vehicle not suited for the handicapped. ...about 10 different times. (I would classify myself as strong and in good shape. Heavy-ish to heavy manual labor, I am accustomed to. But I'm like a buck fifty, so there are some limitations...lol)
    Twice, I pulled those ribs back apart when they were on the verge of healing...and let me tell you, you think those coughs hurt. HOLY HELL! ...the kind of pain that would put the toughest amongst us on his knees!

Hope you get those healed up soon!
    (And nope, no more taping them. It's counter productive and can cause a lot of various issues now and down the road. Best to leave them alone, rest, don't make sudden movements, etc etc etc. Let nature do it's thing)

Nothing nearly as bad as that for me--just a couple of green fractures and nothing out of place so far (no punctures either). I hope to keep it that way.

The only thing I have worry about is if I develop a "clicking sound" on the right side, which indicates the ends of the bones are now misaligned and moving across each other.

Four to six weeks to be good as new, I'm told, but provided I don't twist my upper half from my lower half, it's mostly OK even now. So I don't anticipate any sim-racing problems (unless the wheel is mounted too high up for comfort. I'll try to lower it before next weekend, just in case.

I figure an hour of AC will give me a good idea about the Daytona 2.4, and whether or not I'll need a teammate for that one.

I just updated the server with a Porsche 356 update, all will need to install before racing on the 13th!

Happy New Year all! Looking forward to getting back on track!
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

I can report 4:52 is also possible with the 356 at 100% grip, there is still maybe 1 second more to grab (maybe even a little more with a drained tank). Can it be done 2 laps in a row? Certainly not!!!!

While putting down some laps, I became very goods friends (meaning visiting often) with the 2 km milestone a few corners past the village exit... it's a small object on the right side but collidable - race ending every time.
    There's also a not-so-visible tree stump outside the sharp left 90 degrees bend that costed me at least 3 suspensions.
    The fun of learning new ways to destroy a priceless car never ends!
    Last edited by Swordsman; 01-09-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Checksum Error trying to join the server. I downloaded and copied the car from the FULL v6 after first wiping out all traces of the V5 car. Unzipped v6, then first copied the unzipped car into content/cars so it's there again, and I can drive it again by myself, but not on the server. On the second try I removed all traces of what I'd just done and then unzipped and CUT the car (thinking maybe the copying process introduced errors). Same result though--checksum error.

Has to be something I'm doing here if others can download it and then get right online with it. Been here before, too, with earlier versions of the same car, so I'll try and track down an older post with what worked then...
    ...unless someone else has a better way now. Something about the way I'm doing it is faulty, but probably also "the hard way" to boot.
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 01-09-2019 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
    Checksum Error trying to join the server. I downloaded and copied the car from the FULL v6 after first wiping out all traces of the V5 car. Unzipped v6, then first copied the unzipped car into content/cars so it's there again, and I can drive it again by myself, but not on the server. On the second try I removed all traces of what I'd just done and then unzipped and CUT the car (thinking maybe the copying process introduced errors). Same result though--checksum error.

Has to be something I'm doing here if others can download it and then get right online with it. Been here before, too, with earlier versions of the same car, so I'll try and track down an older post with what worked then...
    ...unless someone else has a better way now. Something about the way I'm doing it is faulty, but probably also "the hard way" to boot.
    Are you sure it's the car though? Can you try to join with the GTA?

Yesterday I got the steam update thing, but I'm sure it was more a steam thing than AC, no files were changed in the AC installation.

After running some more laps I was able to do a lap under 4:50, but that was pretty much a lucky/almost perfect lap. I can now do 4:52's now pretty consistently, I think we're going to see some 4:48 or even 4:47 laps with the Lancia...

Actually, I got the Steam reinstall thing with ACC when I tried to start that for a second time too. Borrowing from my advice to Jason, who was battling ongoing installation issues of his own some months back, I decided to clear my Steam download cache before even trying to verify files. I'll bet one or both sims has corrupted files (I've seen this before). Had I known a reinstall was coming, I'd have cleared the cache beforehand, but I DIDN'T know--Steam just sprung it on me unexpectedly for both sims. Haven't tried to even start any other sims yet, and probably won't before clearing the cache first, anticipating another forced reinstall for any or all of those too. Of course this kills your Steam login and password (they do ask you again beforehand if you REALLY want do this). Of course I said yes, because I haven't found another way to clear it, and now I can't login. So a new issue rears it's ugly head.

Have I mentioned yet just how much I LOVE computers? This much...(two fingers held out...very close to one another). Or picture a very small violin playing a very quiet song.
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 01-10-2019 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    Yesterday I got the steam update thing, but I'm sure it was more a steam thing than AC, no files were changed in the AC installation.
    Last night I had a weird occurrence as well.
    Launched AC from desktop shortcut, as I always do, and suddenly Steam wants to start the AC 'first time' installation process. It proceeded to start trying to do that, while I frantically shut it down before it could do anything else.

I think, "that's weird".....I check AC files, all in tact, things are no different than I left them after the last race and a few minor practice sessions for this one.
    Open AC folder, direct launch from the exe.....goes straight into game and all works just fine. ...spent some time on the server doing some laps and called it a night.

So why the heck is AC trying to install? And what is causing it?
    I have no other issues to speak of with any of my Steam games (makes it hard to believe it's a Steam d/l issue and whatnot).....it's a Steam issue that only affects AC...?...

Had I launched from the shortcut and walked away, I've no idea what would have happened. Some big long pointless installation process to screw up everything, I imagine.

Would really like some sort of explanation about this one, but a bit of searching didn't yield much at a glance, so for now I guess I'll just work around by launching from .exe to keep it from doing whatever it was trying to do.
    Weird, the shortcut is just an icon for the .exe, is it not? What is the difference between launching from a shortcut of the .exe and launching from within AC folder?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whited View Post
    Weird, the shortcut is just an icon for the .exe, is it not? What is the difference between launching from a shortcut of the .exe and launching from within AC folder?
    Yes and no, the AC shortcut created by steam is pointing to steam.exe (and not AC.exe), with a parameter that points to the AC steam ID.

As I mentioned before, the first-time installation thing must be something of Steam, but probably AC has some dependence on it. I think that went through, you cannot really kill it, try it again with the shortcut, it worked fine for me.