Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Charade Results & Discussion

  1. #1

    Default Charade Results & Discussion

    Last edited by Hutch; 12-22-2018 at 08:52 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

  2. #2

    Default

    Competition was really stiff tonight all through practice and quali- I didn't really expect to be fighting at the front for very long if at all. But NQs for Chris and Dave gave me a boost in quali and a little extra pace on my part almost got me pole, much to my surprise. Had a fun couple of laps with Joe at the beginning, then Patrice worried me for a while when Joe fell back, but after a few laps I was slowly opening a gap and focusing on tire management. Then Dave came parading through the field! I clearly wasn't holding him back for too long once he caught me, and I was doing my best to keep the red mist down and my tires under me. Hung with him for a few laps, but he was steadily shrinking from view, and got out to about a 10 second lead before pitting mid race. I was a little surprised how far behind he was when he came back out, but I figured the pit lane just must be longer than I realized I decided it was time to use up a little of that tire life I had been saving, and threw some engine life at the problem too, but it was all I could do to match his pace. Still I had something like a 30 second lead when I pitted, cranked through the splash'n'go, and came out with 20 seconds still in hand with 13 minutes to go. I managed to keep my head together and bring it home after that. Quite the workout as usual! Thanks all for a fun race!
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Quebec City, Canada
    Posts
    756

    Default

    I just realized while crossing the finish line that I completely forgot to pit..... which explains why I was still fighting for position at the end despite many spins.
    I would suggest a 25 seconds penalty (or whatever seems appropriate - not sure this is covered in the series rules) on the final standings.

    One thing is sure, last 20 minutes of any race with the 356 are going to be hell...
    I'm thinking maybe next time I should run loads of extra fuel (with a proper pitstop....) to keep some weight in front.

    The car can be really fast and a total blast. In race I typically find a sweet spot after 15-20 minutes where the huge understeer of my base setup is negated by lowering fuel and mild rear tire wear. After that, see you in the sand trap!

    Anyhow, I was happy with my qual time (a PB). For the first time this season I was even able to hold my position after the start. I even figured I could give a run for their money to the Lancia guys. That lasted a few laps...
    I got a bit of action with nearly everyone (as I was tumbling down the rankings...) super clean and fair as usual, thanks!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Soutwest Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,854

    Default

    Not a great one for me....ran well enough for a while, but various issues saw me fall back in the end.
    Patrice is correct, the last 15-20 minutes in the 356 are hell. I might have to consider changing tires, or adding much more fuel or something, in the future.

    Just couldn't get around Hernan, and lost a ton of time to the front runners, forced into a slower pace that I was capable of.
    Got spun (Joe...but it was probably partially my fault for early breaking perhaps), then got shunted again later on (same thing, I think).
    Hernan definitely didn't make an overtake easy changing lines mid corner every time I'd try something
    Kept getting backed into battles with other cars due to the slower pace....

    I ended up frustrated, and pressed the car too hard...spun myself, banged a wall or two (or three..but who's counting anyways? She's a tank! It's FINE!)

    The last 10 minutes were grueling...the car was being a monster, unpredictable as all hell...beat up.

    Tough race.

    ............................................

    One other thing, since I don't have a whole lot more to add about my own race, and I'm curious...

    I carried 40kg here, but was in P3 in the standing. Shouldn't I have been carrying 20kg, according to the series rules?

    This season we will assign a weight-penalty based on championship standings. Starting with the second race, the top 2 drivers will carry an extra 40kg, and the next 3 will carry an extra 20kg. The intent is to keep the field close, not dramatically change the outcomes, so admin reserves the right to adjust the weight amounts and brackets as necessary.
    I note the bit about admin reserving rights to dictate the ballast as seen fit. So wondering if I was left with the 40kg, rather than dropped to the 20kg according to standings because of "other factors" or whatnot.

    It's not big deal, and I'm just curious. Heck, the way this car is, the weight might actually be a good thing most of the time, but I'm not sure.
    Looking forward to carrying less of it, if possible though...because this car is a nightmare in terms of handling, to begin with, let alone packing a corpse

    ....had fun though, even though I ran with the red mist most of the race..lol

    See ya next time!

    Grats to Michael on the win, and kudos to Joe on a great opening performance in this series!
    Good stuff, glad this track is behind us!

    NEXT!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    2,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Competition was really stiff tonight all through practice and quali- I didn't really expect to be fighting at the front for very long if at all. But NQs for Chris and Dave gave me a boost in quali and a little extra pace on my part almost got me pole, much to my surprise. Had a fun couple of laps with Joe at the beginning, then Patrice worried me for a while when Joe fell back, but after a few laps I was slowly opening a gap and focusing on tire management. Then Dave came parading through the field! I clearly wasn't holding him back for too long once he caught me, and I was doing my best to keep the red mist down and my tires under me. Hung with him for a few laps, but he was steadily shrinking from view, and got out to about a 10 second lead before pitting mid race. I was a little surprised how far behind he was when he came back out, but I figured the pit lane just must be longer than I realized I decided it was time to use up a little of that tire life I had been saving, and threw some engine life at the problem too, but it was all I could do to match his pace. Still I had something like a 30 second lead when I pitted, cranked through the splash'n'go, and came out with 20 seconds still in hand with 13 minutes to go. I managed to keep my head together and bring it home after that. Quite the workout as usual! Thanks all for a fun race!
    Congrats on your win, Michael. Sounds like you worked hard for it!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Surrey, BC Canada
    Posts
    2,508

    Default

    Sat out the qualifying as per my NQ so started the race in last place. I was able to get passed a couple of people through Manson and up the hill but got tapped in the rear from someone at the top of the hill just enough to unsettle my car and went off track while trying to regain control. Once back on track I was back at the end of the pack again so had to drive like a mad man to catch up again. Managed to work my way through the field all the while having some great battles for position and was in P2 after a few laps with Michael up ahead. I was slowly reeling Michael in and managed to out brake him going down the hill into that tight horse shoe corner. Was able to start to pull away from him and had a good lead once I came in for my pit stop. Totally screwed up the stop as I didn't realize that the refueling was finished so I was sitting in the pits for a good 10 second more than I needed to so when I left the pits Michael was over 30 seconds ahead of me. Worked hard at trying to catch up to him and was gaining on him about a second a lap but just didn't have enough and crossed the line in P2.

    Congrat's on the well deserved win Michael and hope everyone else had as much fun as I did driving these cars.

    Cya all next race.
    Dave Slee (DaveS)
    #38 iRacing CanAm Racing Team


  7. #7

    Default

    @Jason, you were tied with Brette for 2nd place in the standings, thus the 40kg.
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, WA USA
    Posts
    2,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsman View Post
    I just realized while crossing the finish line that I completely forgot to pit..... which explains why I was still fighting for position at the end despite many spins.
    I would suggest a 25 seconds penalty (or whatever seems appropriate - not sure this is covered in the series rules) on the final standings.
    @Pat, you can submit a protest (soon to be Incident Review Request) to Review Cmte to look into your situation (or Mike can/should). Series admin can not decide on a penalty on his own. A penalty need to be decided
    by a majority (min 2 stewards) after a review process.
    The secret of success is constancy to purpose.

    (Benjamin Disraeli)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    2,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Uyan View Post
    @Pat, you can submit a protest (soon to be Incident Review Request) to Review Cmte to look into your situation (or Mike can/should). Series admin can not decide on a penalty on his own. A penalty need to be decided
    by a majority (min 2 stewards) after a review process.
    You can call one on yourself though I take it? In which case I'll save Ray the trouble and point out that I ran him over braking for the backside hairpin about L10. Spun both of us, and I did wait for him to regain the spot, but it certainly wasn't very good driving on my part.

    If I end up penalized to the back again, Ray may not be all that happy to have me behind him for a third time, however. :-/ I suppose he can bill me for his rapidly developing ulcer.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, WA USA
    Posts
    2,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
    You can call one on yourself though I take it? In which case I'll save Ray the trouble and point out that I ran him over braking for the backside hairpin about L10. Spun both of us, and I did wait for him to regain the spot, but it certainly wasn't very good driving on my part.
    Traditionally drivers don't protest themselves and Review Cmte. did not accept such protests in the past. But there were few exceptions ofc. In Pat's case the procedure should be: Admin files the protest (request); after verifying everyone served their mandatory pit stop, except one. Or he can come up with a new
    supplementary chapter rule that addresses this type of error.

    But in your case (which is a general racing incident) I think it should be ok for you to request a review process, to bring forth what was the incident and how much of it was a racing incident (perhaps, as an example) and how much of it was avoidable and what the penalty should be. There could be cases (incidents) that
    drivers are not sure what happened and who did what? And they may want a clarification. Even though you (any driver) may be at fault you still want stewards to look into it, and I don't see anything wrong with that.
    The secret of success is constancy to purpose.

    (Benjamin Disraeli)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Champion Motorsports

We've been providing computer-based quality sim racing for our membership for nearly two decades.

Our various iRacing, Assetto Corsa, Automobilista, and rFactor 2 leagues are "serious fun" in a friendly atmosphere. We also host rallying special events in Richard Burns Rally and Dirt Rally.

While our events are competitive, we welcome all sim racing drivers from beginners to the seasoned professional. No matter what your level of experience we have events throughout the week to match your sim racing interests.

To get started, register for an account by clicking here.