View Poll Results: What cars would you like to drive in the next series?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Porsche 911 RSR 3.0 (the ones we ran in the past)

7 41.18%
  • Brazilian Touring Cars

2 11.76%
  • Something more modern, perhaps Brazilian Stock Cars?

7 41.18%
  • None of the above, please note in the comments your choice if your vote is here.

1 5.88%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: Second Series, what would you like to drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles Lalonde View Post
    Not two classes Jon, like the Caterhams, slow cars to fast guys, fast cars to slow guys but all for an outright win.
    In the Caterhams, the difference was around a second. I suspect with 35 more ponies and a higher road holding capability, the gap should be around 3 sec.
    I'm gonna test it to see exactly but for one thing, no much adjustments in the B cars, some of the guys run the default so that would even the odds even more.

I'm putting myself in the shoes of drivers that qualies 4-5 seconds off the poles. One class, one win, the fast guys in wheel barrows.

We're gonna die laughing !

These would be a trial of tire and throttle management since there aren't many other adjustments on most of them. Momentum management is good learning for all of us and these little guys put an emphasis on that. I would expect Gilles and Peter to be the top of the class if they choose FWD cars due to their RL experience (especially Peter if we run Vanport/PIR).

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whited View Post
    Going to run a poll for about two weeks regarding the second series that we will run starting January of 2019.
    Please vote only if you intend to attend some events!

What we drive in this series will be determined by this poll, and the discussion that possibly arises from it.
    While you're here, if you'd like, please add some tracks that you'd like to see used in this series as well.

We're going to toss in the idea of running a series in a more modern car as well, so if this is interesting to you, speak up!

Non votes says you're ok with whatever we drive (or simply don't care to participate) so make sure you allow your voice to be heard here!
    I voted for the more modern cars because I think the future of MNRL depends on their use, at least to some degree. I am not against using the Brazilian Touring Cars as Gilles suggested as the last vestige of historic tin tops from the game provider. Heck, I would probably race almost anything you guys pick as long as we mix it up a bit. I even hold out hope that Gilles, myself and maybe a few others can eventually successfully convert a few of the more popular MNRL rF1 mods. But I know from experience that takes time and effort to get right.

On the mix it up score, Norm was pretty good at mixing things up when we were using rF1 and all the resources that provided. But that doesn't mean we can't still mix it up some. I think all the AMS cars we have raced so far are fun enough to reuse. But I think using some more modern cars selectively along the way can help with mixing it up from season to season. I would wait at least 3 seasons to pass before resusing any mods. Were almost there with the 911 RSR3.0. But I think we can stretch it out more.

Lets assume the soon to be released PUMA turns out to be a good racing option. If it does, we can use it as one of the upcoming season Touring/GT cars to compliment whatever open wheel cars we are using. As far as using more modern cars goes, my approach is if the car is just a newer version (without being terribly exotic or different) of something initially adapted or created for racing over 20 years ago, it qualifies for historic use. Under that approach, I think use of The Brazilian S/C, the MCRs (updated S2000s like we ran in rF1), the Super V8s, the 911Boxer, the Mini and the not yet discussed Cart Extreme Mod (it was the 1998 CART season and the series is even older) all apply. Since we have historic versions of Brazilian S/C and P911, the modern ones become optional exploration. I would definitely give the F1 V12 series in the game a pass. The V10 F1s start getting pretty exotic. But I would be willing to include them if others are interested. Beyond that, I am just amazed at what Reiza has provided for the money and quality we get in AMS, especially with the F1 lineage. At this point, good tracks variety becomes something we have to manage.

I like the way we've been able to mix things up so far. Especially adding the double 20 min races for the slower/touring cars and the 6/8 best events season points totals. Lets continue with things like using the slower or older touring cars in parallel with the faster open wheelers, and vice versa (maybe use the Formula-Vee or O/W Trainer cars in parallel with the Super-V8s). Perhaps throw in a few night races if the tracks planned don't have too many long dark areas (need to test this myself). Even the MCRs can do night races now that Reiza added headlights in the last update. If we use the CART EXTREME Mod, we can and should use some of the less used US tracks like Fontana, Vanport and Road America!

If any of you disagree with what some of us are posting, please voice your opinion in the comments. Everyone's voice should be considered.

Those are some of my thoughts. Enjoyed this year a lot. I hope this helps and I hope to see you all back next season.

Happy Holidays!

Brette
    Last edited by Brette Brooks; 12-19-2018 at 03:37 PM.

I got around to test the classic TC cars at VELOPARK, I did a dozen laps in each and the B class can do 1:09.5 and the FL class can do 1:05.5, all with the default settings. It would be an FL win at most track. The fast guys in class B would fight, at best, for the last spot on the podium.

But there is a cost! The FL are a bit tougher to drive. They both have good trailing throttle oversteer but reapplying power puts the FL in full understeer. It<s a case of feathering it.

They have minimal adjustments possibilities so no trick setups.

It would be hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles Lalonde View Post
    I got around to test the classic TC cars at VELOPARK, I did a dozen laps in each and the B class can do 1:09.5 and the FL class can do 1:05.5, all with the default settings. It would be an FL win at most track. The fast guys in class B would fight, at best, for the last spot on the podium.

But there is a cost! The FL are a bit tougher to drive. They both have good trailing throttle oversteer but reapplying power puts the FL in full understeer. It<s a case of feathering it.

They have minimal adjustments possibilities so no trick setups.

It would be hilarious.
    It's easy to pick slow and fast drivers. Tricky part is how to sort out drivers in mid-field. Unfair racing will happen between slower drivers of yhe fast group vs faster of the slower group. If the lap time difference is that big between two classes at a track w/ lap times around 1:09, slower drivers of the fast group can never catch the other group drivers.

@Jason is there a way to add weight to drivers at each event?
    Last edited by Jon Uyan; 12-23-2018 at 06:38 PM.
    __The view is great from moral high ground__

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Uyan View Post
    It's easy to pick slow and fast drivers. Tricky part is how to sort out drivers in mid-field. Unfair racing will happen between slower drivers of yhe fast group vs faster of the slower group. If tje lap time difference is that big between two classes at a track w/ lap times around 1:09, slower drivers of the fast group can never catch the other group drivers.

@Jason is there a way to add weight to drivers at each event?
    Yes, there is a way.

However, for now, the TC pack has lost out in the poll. And, the Puma update should come very soon. I've gleaned some onboard from them (anyone who has access to the beta can already drive them, from what I understood) and, especially the older one, will definitely have a place here at MNRL once it's part of the pack. It's being added to the TC pack, and that perhaps gives more options for a series regarding that pack and what we can do with it to provide fun, and varied, racing.

I only just voted, so I tied up the poll.
    Coincidentally, I'm also going to provide the tie breaker

The Brazilian Stock Cars series will be paired with the F1s we are currently running.
    They are more modern, yes, but it's a great time to use them given we're pairing them with a more modern feeling car like the F1 Classics.

It's a good time to branch into some more modern cars, and gives us more wiggle room considering content, in the future.

....should have all the details ready to go and published in a few days.
    First race should be Jan 8th.

All the cars are identical...spec series cars.

Not my video, but...

These cars are the pinnacle of AMS, imho. ...some of the best cars in sim racing, really.
    Adrenaline filled, door to door, nose to tail racing. ...and manageable enough to be confident wheel to wheel for most, if not all.

@ 3:11 the race starts.

ETA: Being a Brazilian Stock series, normally these cars would obviously only race in Brazil.
    However, we're going to semi-Americanize these puppies, because we are definitely bringing them to the states for a race or two.
    Last edited by Jason Whited; 12-23-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Glad to hear it is decided in favor of Stock Cars. If it was a Porsche series I would wait it out.
    BTC cars are interesting and I'm sure it will be a good option in the following seasons.

So, now I'm looking forward to getting into one of these stock cars and try it out for the first time. As much as I wanted to I still had no opportunity to race DTM cars to date (in any sim), hope these cars are close to that discipline.

Jon, those brazilian Stock Cars are in the middle, between a Nascar and a DTM car.
    Although they look like DTM, on the inside they are much more like Nascar...no ABS, no TC, a screaming V8. The only thing more modern is the semiautomatic gear box. And the handling is not so "heavy", like Nascar. Cars have more balance and downforce.
    Also for the ones that do not know, they have push to pass (be sure to have a button ready for it)...for a 45 minutes race (usually MNRL style), we should have like 12 or 14 clicks of it available, dont remember quite well now how many.
    Is quite a strategic tool for the racing and it really makes a difference.

I wish we could do 2 heats like in real life, 2x40 minutes races, top10 reverse for the second heat and all the stuff, but that is just too complicated for the admin side, I guess? Maybe do 2x25 or 2x30. But a single 45 minutes is also quite good for this cars, tire management will be important.
    Also there is a race in real life called "Million´s Race" (Corrida do Milhão), 60 minutes, with pitstop mandatory window taking place, worth double points and of course, a million of our brazilian money.

Looking forward to this series! I hope we can fit Laguna Seca and Elkhart Lake in there. And maybe Ibarra! Yeah, that beautiful track in Ecuador!
    Last edited by AngeloRacer; 12-23-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Angelo,

Also there is a race in real life called "Million´s Race" (Corrida do Milhão), 60 minutes, with pitstop mandatory window taking place, worth double points and of course, a million of our brazilian money.
    Thanks for that info!

You're reading my mind
    Last edited by Jason Whited; 12-23-2018 at 08:20 PM.

I Like the 2x25, more than 2x20. I find 20 minutes races too short.

It would be fun if we could alternate the duration. five venues at 2x25, two at 1x45 minutes and a last one at 1x60 minutes with more points

I'm going to suggest 2x30 min and 1x60 min races.
    By the way thanks Angelo for reminding 45-min deal that I wanted to ask admins about. I'm sure everyone remembers the reason why MNRL got stuck in 45-min race duration from R2P days! Not because Norm wanted that way, because he was (everyone was) forced to start and finish an 'event' within 1-hour time
    slot. Which meant qualy-warm up-race (10-5-45) had to be squeezed in 60 min. At CMS we have the luxury of using the server as long as we (admins) want. Maybe it is better to ask MNRL drivers first or do a quick poll (or not), but after all that prep work and waiting, a race should at least be 1-hour long, IMHO.
    Last edited by Jon Uyan; 12-24-2018 at 01:26 AM.