Thread: Kyalami (F1) Post Race Data, Standings, and Discussion

Default Kyalami (F1) Post Race Data, Standings, and Discussion

Last edited by Joe Miller; 12-15-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Blew the Motor. Good wins Jason and Denis

Good show guys, this series was a reel challenge.

For this race, the game DQed me right after the warmup, I had run backward in the garage area, doing a practice start up the hill.

I ran the first half stuck to Brette V12. I tried to pass and over shot so I lost the draft. While trying to get back at him, I was now third, Joe having blown up. Then I noticed I was shown in 8th place. Jason told me not to mind and to continue.
    It was too much for my poor concentration and I crashed. Didn't see the tire wear come in. The crash was big enough, I rolled a few times in the air. I had to pit for repairs. Came out last... now in 8th place for real, in the time left, I was able to pass Jerry and Aaron for fifth.

So congrats to podium and to our Champion Joe.

For this race, I only wanted to finished where I qualified, in third... at least in front of Denis... next series Denis next series....
    Last edited by Gilles Lalonde; 12-05-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Suffering a bit of head congestion and a headache last night, but after some practice laps with Joe I was looking forward to the ensuing battle.

Took the pole, got a decent enough start (what a hill to start on! ) and away we went. Joe snagged the lead early on, but it was all in the plan (hehe)
    I knew I had the faster car through some corners, and in the important places, so I was content just following (let the guy ahead make the mistakes...lol)
    After some laps, I got enough run coming onto the front straight that I went ahead and made the pass. Figured I'd put a gap between us, if I could, so if (more like when) I made mistakes I'd have at least a chance of not falling too far back.

Didn't really work...I'd pull away a bit in places, but was being conservative and the gap remained about 1 second for some laps.
    Then Joe blew his engine going into T1 Dammit! The fun was just starting.

We'd developed a 5 or more second gap, I was alone. And, that's usually when I screw it all up.
    Intent on not doing that, I struggled a bit, but was able to keep enough focus not to botch it this time around. Nursed the gap between myself and Brette, who was now P2 after Joe's demise. I had a short-ish 5th gear, so I never really let it peg out heading to T1...was afraid I'd be the next victim of a dead engine.
    The superior cornering ability of the V8 is really showcased on this track. The V12 might have the power, but it cannot corner nearly as well as the V8. I ran 3/4 wings, short-ish gears...a super loose car....basically a death trap...but managed to keep it in the road, so I'm happy.

Grats to Joe on the Championship...and thanks to all that participated in the series. Grats to Denis as well!

Looking forward to more action in the new year...and hopefully, we can bring the numbers back up when we get into a bit different type of car(s).

See ya then!

5. Default

Congrats to Joe and Denis on their respective championships, and to Jason on the race win!

I loaded in the same setup I used last race, but with a bit more fuel and a more appropriate top gear. Was very pleased in practice to see that likely Jerry and I would get to race a little, and figured the only way I'd get to race anyone else (if, indeed, I was able to keep up with Jerry) would be if someone had trouble on/off the track.

Didn't bother to Q, as I was going to start on the back row anyway, and took the green a little conservatively. I figured no biggie if I dropped back, as everyone would get bundled up and slowed in T1 (which was what happened). Then I set my sights on Jerry, who was quicker around nearly all the course, but couldn't seem to get the exit to T1 down (I had the same problem exiting the last turn). So I was able to stay within sight of his mirror, which he must have looked into entering T3 just before he spun off track, knocking a sign into my path. But I knew he wasn't damaged, because he stayed pretty much the same distance behind me lap after lap. Then I see position 8 become position 7, and thought," who the heck is gaining on me like THAT?" Turned out it was Gilles, and he caught me exiting the final turn of that lap. Well, he sailed out of sight, so I just concentrated on finishing.

Guys, this series was a real challenge for me, and I'm glad I took it on. Nothing like a difficult struggle to get you to appreciate the next season!

Congrats to Jason on a commanding win in South Africa. And to Joe and Dennis on their respective championships in this vintage F1 series.

My race was pretty interesting for the first third with a great start among Jason and Joe. While they started to work the handling advantage of the Lotus after the OZ and cold tires, I lost a spot to Gilles (more like lost it back to him from my good start). He was pushing hard to stay in third and I was pushing hard just to keep a good pace in case something weird happened up front or to give good recovery time in case I lost it. That made for a good bungee battle between the V8 and the V12 advantages. Which allowed me to regain third fairly soon under full power. Sometimes it seemed like there was a tow bar between us. Both of us running different lines in a few turns. Eventually Gilles got confident in the last few corners and made an optimistic pass on the inside. I broke a tad early to stay wide of any contact and he went long leaving me the apex. It was only a small time before he recovered. But like he said, we lost the gap and the draft between us. I had strangely inherited 2nd due to Joe's engine failure. So I tried to push as much as reasonable without throwing away 2nd for the rest of the race (unlike the chinese fire drill fiasco we played at Mosport). That was just enough for Jason to maintain his gap at a more manageable pace than he and Joe kept in their early V8 battle. Well done Jason.

Thanks to Jason and Joe for running this series for all of us. And to CMS for hosting the resources to allow us to race such a niche series. Also, thanks to all those respectful MNRL drivers for good heads up driving. I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did. I look forward to running wheel to wheel with all of you guys again in a future racing series. Have a nice holiday if I don't see you again before then.

I'm off to play with some of the many interesting cars I have in AMS/A-C/rF2/R3E I have not yet had the chance to drive.
    Last edited by Brette Brooks; 12-07-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Results are final, Congrats.