Thread: New Gaming Machine for nephew

Default New Gaming Machine for nephew

Some of you may remember that a couple of years ago I built a gaming machine for my oldest nephew for his Birthday. It's been rock-solid (*knock on wood*) and I kept it simple and tried to future-proof it by putting in decent hardware at the time.

So now I'm building a new gaming PC for my youngest nephew, but I had a smaller budget....but I was able to use a 1070 video card that was in my oldest nephew's computer until last month when he got a 2080 Ti FE for his birthday. Lucky....

Doing some investigating, and knowing that I'd be using a 1070 (not a slouch of a card), I went and built the following:

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: EVGA - CLC 280 113.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix H370-F Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Case: NZXT - H500 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
    Case Fan: Corsair - ML120 Pro LED Blue 75 CFM 120mm Fan

In the end, I spent around $1200, which was my budget.

I spent Saturday putting it together and that night fired it up for the first time. I have to tell you, I love the new UEFI BIOS stuff now, as I knew there was a chance this motherboard couldn't run the 9-series processor without a BIOS upgrade, and I was right, but all I had to do was connect it to my wired network, fire it up and go into BIOS, and from there it grabbed the latest version of the BIOS and installed it, all without having to use flash drives. It was a piece of cake....and so it fired up and displayed the processor without any errors, changed the memory timings to use XMP Profile 1and I grabbed a USB flash drive and installed Windows 10.

After it came up, I installed the latest drivers for the chipset and LAN to get it on the network, then started running Windows updates, adding Rapid Storage drivers, the EVGA Cooling software for the AIO, and on the next reboot this thing just came to life. It boots up so fast, and the processor was just happy as could be temp wise at idle with the AIO. I let it run at idle for about an hour just to make sure everything was good, then installed nVidia drivers for the 1070, rebooted and installed the Heaven benchmark. I turned everything up to max, and turned on Vsync (60fps cap), and let it run for an hour to check for errors. It ran smooth, and no problems.

The next step will be to install OCCT and push the processor to 100% for an hour to check for errors, then run a memtest to verify the memory sticks are problem free.

But I have to tell you....the i5-9600k, it's 6 cores, no Hyper-threading, but it's a rocket ship, and a great value at $250. If you're looking to build a new machine on a budget, this is what you should be looking at. Go to Passmark's list of processor benchmarks and the single-thread chart has this thing listed in the Top 10! And the EVGA AIO is huge! I was worried it wouldn't fit between the memory sticks and the heatshield!

The ASUS Rog motherboard looks awesome through the glass, I'll try to post a picture of it, but I wanted to share this for those who are contemplating upgrades.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

Awful pictures, and late, but posting anyway... He's been having a blast using his new Oculus Rift S with this box, with no problems!!

Tim Collier

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

Jeez Tim, when do I get mine????
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco

Quote Originally Posted by jham View Post
    Jeez Tim, when do I get mine????
    Make your check out to.....
    Tim Collier

I've been toying with the idea of switching my 8600K for the 9600. Not sure I want to reinstall Windows (or even really sure it will work in the same MB), and I have the 8600K running at 4.8 anyway on just 2.5v. Soooo....not sure I'll see enough difference to make it worth the hassle.

Sweet system for your nephew, though.