Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CMS-TXL 2019 Season 1

It really made a huge difference for me with depth perception over the monitors. I can get a whole lot closer in the draft comfortably before pulling out without fear of hitting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Redmon View Post
    Thanks Jason. The rift takes some getting used to but you're literally sitting in the car. Totally amazing. My situational awareness is something I have to learn with that as well but I'm liking it so far.
    Getting used to driving was an interesting experience (running at Laguna Seca and dipping The Corkscrew and not feeling the dip like I'm used to was a bit nauseating) but wasn't too bad. It a took a few weeks to get used to racing with VR...but boy, it's awesome feeling like you're actually sitting in a car.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

Default Need Advice/Opinions

Guys, I've been away so long and with all the new cars and tracks I couldn't figure out where to start. Decided to play around with the cars we'll be running in this series so I've been trying to get used to both the Porsche RSR and the Ferrari GTE. Both are fun and I've about the same speed in both. Just curious what your guys thoughts on are both? Why one might be better than the other? And basically what differences you see in driving both. I do like the whole mid-engine setup in the Porsche as it seems very balanced.

I just need to make a decision on which one to run for this series so any input you all have would be great. If I need to repost this in another forum topic I can certainly do that.

Thanks

Guys, I've been away so long and with all the new cars and tracks I couldn't figure out where to start. Decided to play around with the cars we'll be running in this series so I've been trying to get used to both the Porsche RSR and the Ferrari GTE. Both are fun and I've about the same speed in both. Just curious what your guys thoughts on are both? Why one might be better than the other? And basically what differences you see in driving both. I do like the whole mid-engine setup in the Porsche as it seems very balanced.

I just need to make a decision on which one to run for this series so any input you all have would be great. If I need to repost this in another forum topic I can certainly do that.

Thanks
    Hey Julie,

Firstly, welcome back.

To answer your question directly, the Ferrari seems like you can push it a little harder and it won't bite back quite as hard for over driving it. While technically, the RSR is mid engined now, it still handles very much like a Porsche - in that you need to back up your braking a little and let the car negotiate the turn.

To me, it seems like the Ferrari might be a little better under trail braking and I always felt like I could throw it into corners a little better.

I want to reiterate that this is my feeling towards the car and I think your best bet is to continue feeling each car out until you find what is comfortable for you to potentially over drive (in race conditions) and not bin or spin it. I'm from the school of thought that only the driver can answer that question for their self.

I also want to bring up the idea that since you've been away for so long, are trying a new technology (in VR) and (I'm assuming here) probably haven't practiced in a while - we might consider some sort of test period in the two preseason, non-points events in which you can feel the GTE out first and make sure your pace and consistency are still up to our continuously improving PRO/AM expectations. I don't want to say that I think you should be a gentlewoman driver by any means, but given your hiatus it might help to alleviate any extra butterflies about jumping back in the deep end. And of course, if the bike isn't wobbly, and you are up to craft and pace standards like in the past we continue forward.

Just food for thought.
    Last edited by TwoFlatTires; 12-12-2018 at 07:03 PM.
    2016 Season 2 CMS iRacing AM Champion
    2018 Inaugural CMS/TXL Lone Star Sports Car Series Champion

Thanks for your thoughts on the two cars. I too noticed the front turns in better on the Ferrari but I have junk setups for both so darn hard to tell. As for my pace I just pulled in a 146.6 at Monza in the RSR with a baseline setup, slightly tweeked without knowing what I'm doing. I think that's a fair ProAm pace? I wish you all were out on the track more so I can practice with you all and learn how to tweak the new cars.

As for my pace I just pulled in a 146.6 at Monza in the RSR with a baseline setup, slightly tweeked without knowing what I'm doing. I think that's a fair ProAm pace?
    Yeah, if you can hit that consistently you should be okay on pace. I imagine the fast times will be mid 44's to low 45's @ Monza. So you are only about 1.5 seconds off. So long as your comfort, consistency, and craft are still on par there shouldn't be any worries.

We are also under some revised leadership, so I can't speak with certainty on how the process for returning drivers works moving forward. Alan Hesebeck or Larry Ford should be able to help out with any informational details I might not know as of yet. Do you guys have any insight on how placement for returning drivers will work if they didn't participate in last season's races?

Thanks in advance.
    2016 Season 2 CMS iRacing AM Champion
    2018 Inaugural CMS/TXL Lone Star Sports Car Series Champion

Is there going to be a signup thread for this series?
    Dave Slee (DaveS)
    #38 iRacing CanAm Racing Team

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    Is there going to be a signup thread for this series?
    No signup sheet. However, you must be a member of either TXL or Champion Motorsports league within iRacing Leagues. The server is set to restrict drivers by members only of those two leagues.

Is there going to be a series practice session tonight? If not I'll host one if I can figure out how to. What are the weather conditions and time of day going to be for the race?
    Dave Slee (DaveS)

Default CMS-TXL Pre Season Sebring 4 hour Practice

I will be hosting a CMS-TXL Pre Season Sebring 4 hour Practice tonight starting at 6:00 PM CST

password: improve
    track state: 30%
    Time of day: Morning
    Dynamic Weather

GTE - 60% max fuel
    GT3 - 55% max fuel
    Dave Slee (DaveS)