Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fanatec Podium Series Anyone?

Default Fanatec Podium Series Anyone?

Has anyone made the plunge on the Fanatec Podium Series? curious what you may be upgrading from, why you are making choice, etc.

my personal motorsports blog

I pre ordered a Podium DD1 around the holidays and I got notification that it shipped today!!!! , anyone else taking this journey with me?

Let us know how it works. Just got Clubsport V3i pedals to go with my T-500 wheel. Love the pedals, been wondering about pairing them with a Fanatec wheel.
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco

Quote Originally Posted by davidan View Post
    I pre ordered a Podium DD1 around the holidays and I got notification that it shipped today!!!! , anyone else taking this journey with me?
    Mine has shipped as well Papa Bear. I really like my AF but I modified Fanatec's rims to use with it and had to deal with a cord wrapping around the QR. They've got simpler options now but not when I purchased in 2015. Every time I modified a rim I feared I'd mess it up and have no warranty. Still no fan of AF's stock button box and shifters but those are small complaints.
    I like Fanatec's rims and I love the fact that they plan to create even more... that was the deciding factor for me not a lack of love or need for improvement of that AF's ffb or strength.

Hope you enjoy yours. Is this your first DD?
    Bailey

Yes this will be my first DD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My initial review -- "I am in Heaven, worth every penny on the DD1" .... I will try to post a more full review once I finish completely dialing in it, but let's just say this is a very nice wheel and was worth the pre order and wait.

So I've had a couple days and here is my impression, comparing my DD1 to my AF v1.

First things first... I never needed more NM of force, ever! I prefer to keep at least one of my arms in it's sockets for pointing to what i need. Honey... look at that pretty race toy.

I pick the DD1 for these reasons...

- I much prefer to make adjustments to wheel settings... spring/damper/strength etc. right on the wheel, in game, while DRIVING if desired. With AF, you need to tab away from the game and use your mouse. AF's software took me far longer to come to terms with as well. It's easy to grasp and understand how the DD1's settings effect your wheel, very straightforward. This was my first Fanatec base so those who already have one won't have any homework.

- I prefer the square shape of the DD1 base, it fits neatly under my screens and gives me a better wheel in cockpit view the way I have things set up. I'm also giddy about the fact that there are side mounts which are begging me to make a new toy to bolt to it.
    z5MW19xb.jpg

- I like having rims with no wires, there it is, I just do. I also like the nice looking rims that are available for far less than you'll spend having a custom rim built. I converted their F1 and Porsche rim to use with my AF and that cost me $225 in parts each... not to mention the risk I took cracking them open and rooting around.

- I like having my other Fanatec products plugged into the base yielding one single controller. Joy 1 covers the base, rim, shifter and pedals (so I'm down to 3 now). I use to have 7 controllers (2 rims, 1 base, pedals, shifter, handbrake, button box). Not quite the nightmare it use to be in rf1 days but certain games don't like it when I leave something disconnected and will force me to remap.

- Altho I'm not going to pretend that this brings something incredibly new to the table (direct drive is awesome no matter what brand) I will say it's smoother and less noisy than my AF. While neither of those is a deal breaker they do differ here.

- The AF has a controller box that has dainty little wires plugged into it. I eventually mounted mine on the wall to avoid movement that might prove harmful (a 2nd time ) but that part of the set up is more vulnerable than DD1 which merely has a power brick. I still route the wiring in a way to prevent pulling or movement of the connection to be safe.

What I don't like...

- The QR. Time will tell how it holds up but your rim pushes over a rubber sleeve which is quite different than the heavy duty automotive grade "pop" I'm use to when I attached rims to my AF. There's no flex so it's not a functionality complaint, I just prefer the AF QR. My revolver vs my Glock, they both shoot bullets but there's nothing quite like the *chic chic* to let someone know you mean business. lol

- It's Fanatec brand. Uh oh... did I say that out loud? lol My AF served me well for 4 years, my only hardware complaints were with the silly slip ring that was either finicky or noisy but it's had a great track record otherwise. Fanatec, well.... we shall see. Perhaps that's unfair but it's not my first Fanny product and this isn't fantasy island.

Whatever wheel you use or chose... may the force be with you,
    Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by lopsided View Post
    So I've had a couple days and here is my impression, comparing my DD1 to my AF v1.

Bailey
    Thank you Bunny; you're reviews are always wonderfully informative!
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco

Quote Originally Posted by lopsided View Post
    My revolver vs my Glock, they both shoot bullets but there's nothing quite like the *chic chic* to let someone know you mean business. lol

- It's Fanatec brand. Uh oh... did I say that out loud? lol My AF served me well for 4 years, my only hardware complaints were with the silly slip ring that was either finicky or noisy but it's had a great track record otherwise. Fanatec, well.... we shall see. Perhaps that's unfair but it's not my first Fanny product and this isn't fantasy island.

Bailey
    A review that contains references to guns AND Star Wars? You are one of a kind Bailey!

Thank you for that great review. Can't wait to hear what David thinks as well.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

I am still not ready for a full review yet, as I have quite a bit of testing to do in multiple sims. But tonight I ran in rFactor 2 with the wheel for the first time and did some impressions and talk about settings. Here is the stream if you are interested.

Watch Testing a Fanatec DD1 Wheel Tonight for P1 Gaming 6 Hours of Miami rFactor 2 Race from davidantx on www.twitch.tv