Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mas du Clos Results & Discussion

Tough race for me for sure, I was sweating like a pig at the end. The qualifying went well enough, wasn't able to nail a perfect lap, but it became clear that Dave in his Lancia was way too fast, and even Jason and Christopher had more than a half second on me, wasn't sure if I'd be able to keep up with them. My time was pretty close to Brette's, so I hoped I could keep up with him at least.

The start was strange, it looked like Christopher stuck on the grid, I almost bumped him trying to get around, fortunately no contact there. Then I was battling with Michael for the 4th place for a while, was able to pass him on the twisty final turns, after taking quite few of the preceding turns side-by-side. In front I had Brette and not far ahead Jason, Dave had already a considerable gap built up. I was chasing Brette for several laps, could close in once or twice, but never had a real chance to pass him. Until he went wide at the last turn, and hit that killer bump that sent him fly, I was lucky to get away unharmed.

With one chase over, the next one was on, was able to close the gap to Jason slowly, and pass him on the twisty section. I saw in the mirrors that Christopher was closing in on him, was hoping that their fight will give me some chance to pull away. A lap or two later I saw Jason flying away pretty much the same spot Brette did, but didn't know his car hit Christopher's, so I was confused about what happened to him. I'm really sorry to see him forced to abandon, looking at the replay I have the impression that it was the steering that was damaged, changing tires would have not changed much. One thing you could have done, and probably should in the future if something similar happens is that after you cross the finish line, stop the car, hit Esc and go back to pits, you will get a 30 seconds (IIRC) penalty, but you'll be able to continue the race.

For the rest of the race I only had to fight the track, but it was the hardest part, I was close to loose it several times. After the pits I saw that Dave was not too far ahead, but he had pretty much the same pace, wasn't able to get close enough to have a chance.

Congrats Dave, that was a great and consistent pace! Also good job for everyone completing the race, this was a nasty track, I hope I won't have to race on it again soon lol

P.S.: I don't get why the creator of the track put that killer bump there, as I mentioned earlier it is placed where you're most likely to go wide. IMO that's stupid and unsafe too, I'm pretty sure it's not like that in RL. And in general I find that curbs are really harsh on this track, like you're not supposed to ride them.

That shot of Brette's Alfa is hysterical!

I had a few good skirmishes last night, but despite managing to keep my head and save a little tire for the end, I was in general just a bit too far off pace to keep up with anybody for long. Great pace from everybody up front!
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

Looks like about four feet of suspension travel on both cars. Brette's reminds of "Loony Toons," or something from "Penelope Pitstop and the Wacky Racers," while Jason's pic reminds me of my sister's dog when she goes belly up: "Please, please, please scratch my tummy! Please, please, please, please, please scratch my tummy! Please oh Please oh Please scratch my tummy!

-----

BTW, I didn't think I was that close to him even before he'd rolled all the way over, so with yet another half roll to go, I can see pretty clearly why I couldn't miss him.

I will try to keep Mihaly's ESC back to the pits idea in mind for next time...along with cycling that F1 key. Looks like I'll need to prepare a cheat sheet for each sim, in fact, unless I race them often enough to remember those keystrokes.

Still haven't figured out how to request a tire change if one isn't already planned for the stop (but I haven't looked into it either). If anyone has that answer, I'd appreciate hearing it too.

There are a few ways you can do it Christopher. I have my Thrustmaster wheels D-pad setup to bring up the Pit Menu and then use the Up/Down/Left/Right buttons on it to move around the Pit Menu. You can assign what ever keys you want to use to bring up the Pit Menu and adjust the settings while on track.
    Dave Slee (DaveS) #38

I've been informed by Michael that I had a DNQ for this race from my incident in the Orange Zone last race. I wasn't aware of this and qualified P1, my screw up so I deserve whatever penalty I receive. Sorry for not paying attention to post race info.
    Dave Slee (DaveS) #38

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    I've been informed by Michael that I had a DNQ for this race from my incident in the Orange Zone last race. I wasn't aware of this and qualified P1, my screw up so I deserve whatever penalty I receive. Sorry for not paying attention to post race info.
    I don't think there's a penalty to be applied to this race, you'll just have to serve your NQ the next race.

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post

With one chase over, the next one was on, was able to close the gap to Jason slowly, and pass him on the twisty section. I saw in the mirrors that Christopher was closing in on him, was hoping that their fight will give me some chance to pull away. A lap or two later I saw Jason flying away pretty much the same spot Brette did, but didn't know his car hit Christopher's, so I was confused about what happened to him. I'm really sorry to see him forced to abandon, looking at the replay I have the impression that it was the steering that was damaged, changing tires would have not changed much. One thing you could have done, and probably should in the future if something similar happens is that after you cross the finish line, stop the car, hit Esc and go back to pits, you will get a 30 seconds (IIRC) penalty, but you'll be able to continue the race.

P.S.: I don't get why the creator of the track put that killer bump there, as I mentioned earlier it is placed where you're most likely to go wide. IMO that's stupid and unsafe too, I'm pretty sure it's not like that in RL. And in general I find that curbs are really harsh on this track, like you're not supposed to ride them.
    Hehehe... Reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated. Especially after that last turn stunt image. BTW, thanks for posting those screenies Mihaly... they are indeed hilarious. They do bring back memories of the Wacky Racers cartoon like Chris said. Totally agree with your PS summary about the track.

Even with the ballast I had to haul around, I did like the first two thirds of the track. Decent elevation change, variable medium to high speed turns and some road crown elements to make it more interesting (just my kind of track). At least until that last third that progressively became more like a trip through the Alps. What a split personality track . I am going to refer to that last sector of switch backs and the drop off hill as the 'Ronin' stunt driver audition section. It feels like you are trying to practice for a car chase scene through the streets of Paris. Stay with me here...

With that thought in mind, I have to give top credits in the film to Dave Slee. With his speed and control, he gets the top billing as Robert Dinero's stunt driver. Mihaly was our Russian Mafia nemesis in the low rider GTA. No one wanted to get to close to him. God knows how many former opponents he was hauling around in his GTA trunk. "Too much Junk in the Trunk " for most people to inquire about. My role was as French police chase car number one. According to the script I had, I was suppose to just go wide and wiggle into Mihaly's mafia GTA just enough for the trunk to go ajar and a few limp arms to flap out the back. But I over did the jump cue and caught too much air. Mihaly sped away and I went across track into the sand pit. It still made for good copy and print action, but messed up our ongoing chase.

Next up was Jason and Chris, the producer told me they would be doing an over under stunt as French Police chasers 2 and 3. Well, apparently Jason did the opposite of me and under did his jump height and came down on Chris before he could safely speed underneath flying police car 2. Word has it the director was on the radio trying to figure out what to do with Chris's car at that point (all the slowing down with wacked out steering). Lucky for Jason and I, the support staff equipped our cars with monster truck nitrogen shocks and suspension travel. So we soldiered on.

Although my car was a bit banged up and 3 drivers passed me during my STUNT, I was able to slip back into formation behind Michael and exchange some close chase behind him for several laps. Finally got by when he realized how beat up my car was. Not sure what his role was. Probably a more level headed French police chase driver following the chaos to clean up the mess. All things considered, I was surprised how well I was able to keep my GTA in the chase. Although I was getting a bit woozy in the Ronin audition section and losing over a second a lap for the last 12 mins or so.

Congrats to all other support drivers that survived the film. Next time we act out a Frankenheimer action thriller film in one of our races, lets stick to something more racy, like GRAND PRIX!
    Last edited by Brette Brooks; 11-21-2018 at 12:11 AM.

PREVIOUS PENALTIES
    - D. Slee NQ

PENALTIES SERVED THIS RACE
    - None. D. Slee failed to serve his penalty. Stern Warning to Slee for failing to serve a penalty.

START
    No issues

OZ
    - C. Snow chopped into R. Nelson's line at T1 entry (2:15), avoidable contact caused Nelson to lose time and receive damages. NQDT to C. Snow.

PENALTIES SUMMARY
    - C. Snow NQDT
    - D. Slee NQ (pending)
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    PREVIOUS PENALTIES
    - D. Slee NQ

PENALTIES SERVED THIS RACE
    - None. D. Slee failed to serve his penalty. Stern Warning to Slee for failing to serve a penalty.

START
    No issues

OZ
    - C. Snow chopped into R. Nelson's line at T1 entry (2:15), avoidable contact caused Nelson to lose time and receive damages. NQDT to C. Snow.

PENALTIES SUMMARY
    - C. Snow NQDT
    - D. Slee NQ (pending)
    Do I serve this as a NQSH10 then? I'm not clear on how to do this, obviously.

And sorry to Ray too, as I didn't realize I'd ruined things for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
    Do I serve this as a NQSH10 then? I'm not clear on how to do this, obviously.

And sorry to Ray too, as I didn't realize I'd ruined things for him.
    NQDT....not stop and hold.
    All you got to do is not quali, then do a drive thru on your first lap. Remember not to overtake anyone on the opening lap...drive thru pits, come out other side, and onward you go.