Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mas du Clos Results & Discussion

Default Mas du Clos Results & Discussion

Last edited by davidan; 11-20-2018 at 11:31 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

That went a bit better than I expected. Especially after rolling the car

Took me forever to find any pace in the 356. And even when I did, it wasn't front runner pace.
    While not the definitive factor, ballast was obviously a hindrance here. Far more noticeable that most times with just 20kg...20kg felt like 200 last night!

I got lucky in that final corner. Knew to stay away from about the middle of the curbing. Just on the other side of it, there appeared to be a rock sticking out of the embankment...I think nearly all of us saw what it could do before race time, and I was trying as much as I could to stay far away from it, even if it cost me time on the straight.
    Eventually though, got into the brakes too late going in, slowed enough, but dumped the brakes and tossed the rear....big long, lazy, half slide and my foot didn't want to power on. Tracked right over top of the worst part of the embankment and took a tumble.

Luckily, it bounced off it's top, then back onto it's wheels and I don't even think I stopped...geared down, slammed throttle, away we go. :P
    This thing is a tank....hehehehe

So, I got lucky. In practice, I rolled it there once and was sent to the pits...when I went on my top, I thought that was going to be the next step, but low and behold.....luck was with me this time [FINALLY!]

Didn't have anything for Dave or Mihaly.
    Barely kept Brette at bay, and if it wasn't for what appeared to be mistakes that he made, I wouldn't have been able to.

Not sure what happened to Christopher. One minute he's out ahead of me, next minute I roll it and fall back. Seconds later I catch back up and he's moving very slowly...looked like the left front (I think it was) was destroyed, so must have hit something. A shame after all the efforts he put in yesterday.

Overall, a fun one...but very tough and tiring. I was spent afterwords and off to bed it was.

Good stuff...looking forward to the next one.

Grats Dave, nice win.
    And Mihaly in P2 as well.

See ya...

What a track!

-See You On Track!

Ah, well that tells me what happened to the car without having seen the replay. As to how: I was right behind Jason (Mihaly had passed him the lap before) when he climbed the exit curbing at the last corner, so I thought I could get by, as he would have to slow up a bit to horse it back down. Unfortunately, he rolled completely over and back down to the left. Came down on the track and I clipped him trying to miss him on the left. Hardly felt like anything, but the car immediately slowed and began howling with what I hoped might just be a flat...but apparently was not. So that MAY explain why my crew didn't try to change out the tire/wheel--there apparently wasn't one. :-/

I still don't know if they would have done it had there been a fourth wheel there. I was just hoping, but I had not set up for a tire change and don't know yet how to request one (probably have to assign a key or button). I probably should have pitted as soon as it started screeching, but I'd only heard it once before and was by the pit entrance too fast to figure it out, so I had to run the extra lap bent up.

I was also confused because the car damage indicator showed nothing wrong with either tire on the right side (though clearly there was), but just the body damage I had sustained at the start...so nothing seemed to have changed that way. Maybe the tires never do change?

Anyway, it was fun, despite another bogged start, and though the car wallows all over the place at times, it's fun to drive dad's first Porsche.

Grats to Dave, who just streaked away from the rest of us, and a tip of the hat too to Mihaly, who managed his own race just right. I don't know who else finished where.

----

I did also have keyboard fun in qual, as I had been watching others before the start of the session and couldn't find my way back to cockpit mode for the first five minutes or so...so that didn't go so well either. CYCLE the F1 key, Snow.

Only managed to find it by accident, but at least I got a few laps in in time (not that it matters with my starting technique). Blech!
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 11-19-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Well that sucks.
    Didn't realize you were behind me, or that anything came in contact with me during my "moment".
    Dammit! Really sorry about that. Hadn't watched the replay so didn't realize it.

Thought you were ahead of me because after getting my bearings back, it was a good half lap before I came upon you. The fog of everything had me confused, so...

The first few laps I did at this track scared the crap out of me, especially the last down hill section, I wound up on my roof more than once while trying to get through that section until I finally figured out how to go through it properly. I was online practicing last week I was able to turn a few 1:38's but when I read yesterday that Christopher and Jason were turning some great times I figured I'd better get online and do some more practicing. I stuck 50L of fuel in the car and away I went and my lap times started to come down into the 38's and then the 37's, 36's and managed a couple of high 35's as well. I wasn't really sure how fast I'd be once I was in the practice session before the race but I was surprised to see my times were still competitive.

Qualifying came and I was able to turn some great laps and managed P1. So now I just needed to figure out how much fuel I'd need to take at the start of the race. Should I take a lot and be able to do a faster re-fueling towards the end of the race or less amount and pit mid race. I decided to take 30L at the start and then adjust as needed when I pitted. Green flag came and I was able to get off the line and into T1 in P1, now I just tried to keep this beast on track for the next 60 minutes. It looked like I took a lot less fuel than everyone else and was the first to do a pit stop for fuel. When I came out I was in P5 and after pit stops cycled through I was back in P1 but I had Mihaly about 15 seconds behind me in P2. He had 40kg of ballast but was still turning some great times so all I could do was try to match his lap times and hope to be able to beat him to the checkered flag. As it got closer to the checkered my tires were getting worn out and my lap times were getting slower than his and he was closing in on me but time ran out and I was able to cross the finish line about 5 seconds ahead.

Great race guys, sorry to hear about your issues Christopher and Jason
    Congrat's to the other podium finishers.
    Dave Slee (DaveS) #38

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whited View Post

Well that sucks.
    Didn't realize you were behind me, or that anything came in contact with me during my "moment".
    Dammit! Really sorry about that. Hadn't watched the replay so didn't realize it.

Thought you were ahead of me because after getting my bearings back, it was a good half lap before I came upon you. The fog of everything had me confused, so...
    No worries. "That's racing," as they say.

Unless you PLANNED somehow to roll it completely over...lol! In which case I can only tip my hat too to your truly excellent skill set! Hahaha!

He was likely trying to save the tires.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    He was likely trying to save the tires.....
    LOL! I'll have to try that too--point them at the sky and wear SHOULD be reduced a bit (if only briefly). Ah geez. Sim racing sure can be funny sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
    No worries. "That's racing," as they say.

Unless you PLANNED somehow to roll it completely over...lol! In which case I can only tip my hat too to your truly excellent skill set! Hahaha!
    Ironically, it was actually slowing too much that caused me to get over on the curbing and slightly beyond to begin with.
    I was a little late braking, got in them too hard, and when I dumped in the same moment the fronts started to lock, there was a massive load shift that I couldn't control.
    Sort of just coasted off, knowing I was heading for it with nothing much to do about it. Had I got back in the throttle a little sooner, maybe I'd have made it, but sort of doubt it...was basically in a four wheel drift at that point.

Intended or not, sucks when an incident like that causes issues for those racing closely.
    It's racing....yeah......still sucks.

(P.S. This tire wear reduction ideal is genius :P )