Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barber (Caterhams) Post Race Data, Standings, and Discussion

Default Barber (Caterhams) Post Race Data, Standings, and Discussion

Last edited by Joe Miller; 12-04-2018 at 10:04 PM.

Really, really, wanted to make the race. Life had other plans.
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco

Quote Originally Posted by jham View Post
    Really, really, wanted to make the race. Life had other plans.
    Too bad

Good news, if you want some entertainment, you can go grab the replay and watch me blow a championship that I should have coasted to last night

.................................................. .......

Really blew that one. Wow!
    Race one, DNF. -not going to discuss that one. I'll say I was distracted by some 'other things' and I'll leave it at that.
    So went off, escaped out after the first few turns, and a big fat 0 to add to my points.

Ok...well, we do have two throw away races, so there's definitely one of them.
    Now, just need to stay about top 5 or something for this second one, and should be good to go.

Started out well enough. Decent start, nice close racing in opening corners. Couldn't take the lead away from Joe so tucked into P2 with him ahead and Brette on my tail.
    Followed P1 for a while, Brette just waiting to pounce in P3.
    Eventually, at T11 (I think it is)...Brette got a nice run on me and made a pretty sweet move to the inside.
    I thought all was well, get into the apex to power out, no problem, tuck in...keep racing. But I was a bit wide, got over in the marbles, and when I put the power down, the rear stepped out. Decision in the moment from me was drive it out, the car had held through that series of turns many times in practice, but in the marbles she didn't.
    It got out from under me and around I went.

Got back into things about P9 or something. ...don't remember. The red mist consumed me.
    I knew I was blowing the championship, and started thinking about points, rather than focusing on the race. Wondering the next few laps, if it was going to cost me enough points to take me out of it.
    Ended up spinning in the same place again. Jon came around and collected me, no fault of his own, I was in the middle of the road .....stalled car

Fired it up, and drove the hunk of junk to finish, somewhere back there in the pack.

I got out of focus, even before race time last night. Could not seem to force my mind into it enough to produce my usual performance (which isn't always good, but damn, not always blowing championships either.....and after winning quite a few races in this series and feeling like I had a great chance at taking it, it was definitely a let down)

But hey...that's what it's all about, right?
    Win some, lose some, ride the emotional rollercoaster. It's what we're here for.

Brette did a great job being consistent much of the season, as did Joe and others as well.
    It wasn't just these two races, it wouldn't have been close unless the competition stuck it out and was consistent and collecting enough points throughout.

Thoroughly enjoyable season overall. Really fun cars for wheel to wheel racing, and I think bringing the Superlight into the mix really mixed things up a bit more than usual.
    Thanks to all that have participated throughout the season.

(I'll save any congrats on championships and such for later. Have to make it all official after review and such)

Grats on the respective wins and podiums, to all those that took one last night.
    See ya next time. Hopefully the last two races of the F1 series.

4. Default

Man, I didn't realize that this was the last pair of races in the season for this mod. I've been too darned busy to keep up with facts like that lately. I'm going to miss this mod; it was a lot like racing the Minis and those crazy Eastern Bloc Saloons -- point it in a direction, and just sling it where you want it to go! I thoroughly enjoyed racing the folks I got to race against/with this season.
    As far as this pair of races goes, I looked at all the NQ's to be served, and thought I'd do something cheeky, and make a 14 minute qualifying lap, surely setting an MNRL Q time at any track other than the Green Hell. But I reconsidered, thinking maybe someone would think it was insulting, and not amusing at all. So I q'd waaay back, got my usual lousy starts, and found some fun folks to race with (thanks for the competition, guys). Strangely, I had nowhere near the control of my car in the second race compared with the first, and hence spent far too much of the race off the track (my apologies to whoever's side I tapped when I lost it in the downhill esses). And I've got to laugh, Todd, about your thinking the race was over and your planting the car into the Armco -- for some reason this sim extends races beyond the time when it should be over, perhaps based on a set approximation of laps -- but thanks for the position! grin

I've learned not to congratulate people for championships until the official results for the season are posted, so will do so when that happens.

Grats to Mr. Brooks for the series win, consistency always pays.

Jason...

That was a tough set of races for me.

I was "awarded" an NQ for my spin and contact in the first race at LRP so I started both race from the back.

Life prevented me from practicing, the only seat time I had was trying the 991 for the "CMS Special Event - Ten Laps of The Green Hell", so I got to the event at 20 passed 8, took the whole 40 minutes to get things down in the 1:36.2. Almost three second off !!! 9th on 13...

First race, got around a bunch of guys, doing good passes on most, awesome Aaron, and also taking advantage of a few off, I ended up where my pace usually puts me, 4th! Could have been third... barring Mr. Christopher, Comeback, Snow.
    The goal I had, championship wise, was to finish as far ahead as I could from Bob as he was 7 points in front of me. He finished 6th so I was now only 4 points behind.

Second race, since I had finished the first race on vapors, .2 gallon, I would have ran out if there was another lap. From 3.5, I added .2 for 3.7. Something went askew as the stats shows I started the race with way more fuel than that. For the 1st race it shows that I was the one with the lowest amount with 31.8%. It also shows that I finished with the least amount too, 1.2%... on vapors! For the second race... it shows that I started with 45.9% and finished with 14.9%,,,, Whaaaaaaa?
    I wasn't aware of it and all through the race, the car felt lethargic, it wouldn't rotate on demand, wasn't braking right and I could not get away from corners. That second race is a blur, I only remember getting passed by Jon on the outside of 5-6, little bump in his door with my right front... all good racing.
    When I read the data afterward, it suddenly all made sens. I had an anvil for a car. Nonetheless, I was able to climb from 10th to 6th. Where did Bob finish? He did not take part to the second race!

So I managed finish 4th in the series... by forfeit. Sorry for that Bob but, Jason, beats you on that.

What a change a 21st century wheel and pedals set can do !

There is no terrible way to win" -- Jean-Pierre Sarti.

Big apologies to Aaron on lag/freeze induced contact. When series of freezes hit me I was fighting for P5 in first race. Without any contacts I dropped to P9. From there on I thought game stabilized and I continued, and started to gain on the pack in front, passed all 3 cars (I think) but got hit with another freeze. When I reappeared I landed on the tail of the 3rd car of that pack, which was Aaron, causing him to spin. Really sorry about that, I waited for him to give position back but he lost track position and after that I just followed him to not get any more contacts. I should've quit the race earlier when I had first set of freezes.

Left the server to investigate and found out my HDD was working 100%. This is a Win10 bug that happens to me every now and then (it's a known bug). Waited for it to stop looping whatever program windows was running. It started to drop to 50% and 30% after few minutes, then I joined the server for race 2. After that all was good in the race fighting against some of the faster guys (Tyler, Gilles, Jason). despite that unfortunate incident with Jason finished in P4. All good racing and fun.

I can easily say -sparing Lime Rock Park race- I was never in full control of these cars and my setups lacked a little testing time most of the season. But last 3 races it was really enjoyable from competition side of things.
    Big thanks to Joe & Jason for the series, and everyone who participated. Looking forward to upcoming season.
    __The view is great from moral high ground__

"And I've got to laugh, Todd, about your thinking the race was over and your planting the car into the Armco -- for some reason this sim extends races beyond the time when it should be over, perhaps based on a set approximation of laps -- but thanks for the position! grin"

Hahaha....I know. I was in a great battle with Peter Holm too, then lost my mind. This sim has caught me out a couple times like that

Glad I could help you out Aaron

It is always the time of the race (in this case 20 minutes) plus one lap.
    So, if the leader crosses the line with one second left on clock, then clock flips over, he will have to come all the way around, then white flag will be displayed for final lap.
    It can sometimes almost feel like two "additional" laps.

But just remember, always the time, plus one lap. If you're nearer the rear, depending on where you are on track, the timer can be run out long before you cross for your final lap signal.

Congratulations to Brette and Jon on their championship runs. Consistency does pay off sometimes. I know Jason is bummed. It looked like he had it all wrapped up until the last two races.
    It was an interesting series for sure. I really didn't like the cars at first, but once I got the hang of them I started to really enjoy them.
    Thanks to everyone that participated.