Thread: Wrench Demo this weekend!

Default Wrench Demo this weekend!

If you have VR, you MUST give this a try!! At first, the interface felt clunky, but within the first 30 minutes it felt natural, although I kept grabbing the wrong things! Eventually I finished the engine (took almost 2 hours including the tools tutorial), and couldn't get the engine to crank because I didn't torque some of my bolts correctly! You can bet I'll be trying this again, as well as buying it on day one!

If you don't know what I'm talking about, I've been following this for over a year as someone disassembled their Miata and scanned all of the parts to make this game.

Here's a video of the demo in action:

It's really well done!
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift CV1

This is so much FUN!!! Love it, but recommend watching the video before you start, otherwise you might find out things the hard way

I assembled it, my 7 yo son was watching, and he loved it too. Engine didn't start as I had some things wrong, I'm going to try it again, should go faster second time.

EDIT: wooohooo, got it started the second time, but I still had to partially disassemble it as I had one nut and one bolt with incorrect torques
    Last edited by mms; 11-10-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Boy do I feel stupid.

Yesterday I found the program creator's blog and found out that if you hold the controller trigger down while using a ratchet, it's a power driver! I hand cranked EVERY BOLT on that engine! I thought my shoulder was going to fall off!

On the funnier side, if my wife had walked in while I was doing that, who knows what she would have thought of it.....
    Tim Collier

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift CV1

Quote Originally Posted by TimCollier View Post
    Yesterday I found the program creator's blog and found out that if you hold the controller trigger down while using a ratchet, it's a power driver! I hand cranked EVERY BOLT on that engine! I thought my shoulder was going to fall off!
    LOL, fortunately I figured that out early on, even with it takes pretty long. What I don't like is that sometimes the ratchet snaps onto the wrong bolt/nut which might then result in tightening it inadvertently, messing up the torque. If it happens I don't take any chances, I loosen it and torque it again to the correct value.

The third time I was able to do it without any mistakes, the engine started on ignition

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    LOL, fortunately I figured that out early on, even with it takes pretty long. What I don't like is that sometimes the ratchet snaps onto the wrong bolt/nut which might then result in tightening it inadvertently, messing up the torque. If it happens I don't take any chances, I loosen it and torque it again to the correct value.

The third time I was able to do it without any mistakes, the engine started on ignition
    I truly cannot wait till the full game is released, and it's speeding up my prep for a room-scale area in the game room for VR. Although there's a few other titles I have which have been needing that space too!
    Tim Collier

Wrench will be available to purchase EARLY ACCESS on December 19th (Wednesday).....I'm buying!!!

WHAT THE DEVELOPERS HAVE TO SAY:

Why Early Access?

“We are choosing early access to involve the community in developing Wrench. Early access will also help us better understand our audience and adjust Wrench's content and game mechanics to fit the players.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“We expect early access to last six to eight months.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“The early access phase will be used to tune user experience and expand the available content. The full version will feature more content, more sub systems of the car will be serviceable, and the library of aftermarket content will be much larger. Players can also expect more interaction polish as Wrench progresses from early access to full release. The full release will mark the baseline for the game where we feel there is enough content for the game to stand on it's own. Post release, expect continuous updates with more content.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“The core features and main gameplay loop are in place. The Bauer Catfish and Exomotive Exocet are nearly completed with fully serviceable Engine, suspension, and braking systems.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

“Wrench will be discounted during Early Access.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

“The community will drive the direction of UX changes, prioritize development order for new functionality, and help drive decisions about what new content we build.”

Tim Collier

Let me add something, this is not a game requiring VR. It's optional, you can use a standard keyboard/mouse/monitor setup and play much like you would any other Car Mechanic Simulator type game.

This one just has more detail when it comes to assembly.
    Tim Collier

Tim, it's out on steam, let me know how it is when you get your hands on it. I'm tempted, but it's not the right time for me to get it just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    Tim, it's out on steam, let me know how it is when you get your hands on it. I'm tempted, but it's not the right time for me to get it just yet.
    You betcha. I haven't bought it yet either, haven't had the time, but will give it a try soon!
    Tim Collier

OMG just saw this... Take my money!
    2016 Season 2 CMS iRacing AM Champion
    2018 Inaugural CMS/TXL Lone Star Sports Car Series Champion