Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadwell Results & Discussion

Default Cadwell Results & Discussion

Last edited by Hutch; 11-04-2018 at 11:34 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

Great turnout last night! Qualifying was really competitive, and after landing 6th I figured I would be slugging it out midfield with Brette for the night. I got a really good start, however, and slotted into T1 in 3rd after passing both Porsches off the line. With only Mihaly and Hernan in front of me the red mist took hold, and I completely forgot everything I learned about the Lancia at Goodwood which had served me so well at Croft. I pushed hard to stay with them as they battled corner to corner, but I couldn't keep it up for more than a few laps. Pretty soon a rash of mistakes came as the understeer took hold, and I dropped several places. Had some fun laps next however chasing Dave Slee, who appeared to be having a blast oversteering his GTA; I'll have to search the replay for a particular memory I have of seeing about a foot of daylight underneath all four of his wheels in the Hall Bends I was following close, and eventually got caught napping at the braking point for T4; I juked right to avoid, but as soon as I stepped on the brake the car spun the opposite way, right into Dave. Sorry again Dave! I waited up and the rest of my race was pretty lonely, struggling to keep the car on track as the grip evaporated out of my front tires. My usual strategy is to conserve my tires enough that I can get by with a fuel-only stop, but at some tracks I can see that just isn't going to work with this front-driver. Anyway, looked like another barn-burner up front, grats to Mihaly on the win, and to some good showings from everyone else!

My God! What. A. Race

I think the questions about the Porsche and BoP are answered. Can't get much closer than that.
    A real thing of beauty, watching 3 different marques bunched up battling for the lead.
    I didn't think the 356 was entirely capable (especially over the long run) but she definitely proved me wrong this time. Matter of fact, had it not been for the driver of one beautiful blue 356, the Porsche very well might have seen a win here.

I'd recap, but honestly, most of it is now a blur. I do remember a love tap or two to Hernan's rear (unintentional, and seemingly inconsequential, so all good on that front I think)

I remember nearly scaring the hell out of myself (and surely Mihaly and Hernan) when I exited the pits and here they come down the straight.
    Now generally, I'd just give plenty of room and let em go on by, but given I was leading the race, yeah...that wasn't happening. Decided I wasn't leaving much and if they were going by in that moment, they were going to work for it. Left the tiniest bit of room to the inside and basically stuck myself in the middle of the track as I attempted to climb the hill in the first turns.
    Hernan wasn't having any of it, took that tiny space, and forced his way by....hilarious, scary, and a bit of a "oh, ok then" in that moment.
    I regained the spot, but it was not for long.

No tires on the stop and they were getting ragged about 40 minutes in.
    Ended up making a mistake (actually, my right foot got hung between throttle and brake when downshifting. Didn't realize until it was already shoving me into the grass, but I was riding the throttle through the brakes into T1...ended up wide and as a result lost the lead and never regained it.
    Frustrating, but fact is, with the pressure I had behind me, I seriously doubt I could have held it, mistakes or not. Tires just weren't there and Mihaly and Hernan both, by that time, were quite a bit faster in some places due to some poor exits on those chunks of ice I had left under me.

Overall, one of the best online races I've ever had, period! An absolute blast, and though it was a bit disappointing not to be able to bring it home, if I'm going to lose, that's the way I want to do it.

Thanks to all for the racing...a great turn out for this series. Hopefully that will continue and a few more that are registered here find their way to future races.
    See ya next time

When I started to practice I began with low 57´s, after 5 laps I only could do high 55´s, reading the forum they were talking about 52´s, so how the hell I will cut that 3 or more seconds? I knew the gearing was right, but that understeer in the Lancia is big, somehow the magic cames and I managed to reach 50.6, just incredible for me just hours ago.
    The race, yes Jason and Mihaly, one of the best for mee too, maybe all the race Mihaly was a bit faster, but not enough to pass me in this track, I saw in the mirror three cars behind, then two and I was hopping the pressure from third to second could give some air but that thing not happened. Pit stop and surprisely I exit the pit with 5 seconds ahead of Mihaly and he was coming, slowly lap after lap closing the gap, then when he was just behind Jason pitted and what a moment, almost 3 car wide at turn 1 and 2, Jason got by. Sooner Mihaly was again at my side at the back straight but this time I give him some room, thinking thet maybe he has a better shot with Jason and I will be just waiting behind for some contact or something. Eventually that happened but not as good as I expected. Second place in one of the most thrilling races I have ever been. Thanks guys for that and I can´t wait for the next one.

Wow, what a race!!! Probably the most intense I ever had. I remembered this track from somewhere, pretty sure we raced on it already, and to my surprise I had also a setup for the GTA, and it was a pretty good one too. With lots of practice I was able to get down to low 1:51's offline with optimal track.

I got a decent lap time during the qualifying session, though I made a rookie mistake by leaving the default 30l of fuel in the tank. It still got me the 4th place on the grid, but when I saw Patrice's lap time being half second faster, I could not believe my eyes

Got a good start, and was able to pass Patrice and Jason, right behind Hernan. I was chasing him for the first half of the race, with Jason on my tail. Hernan was defending very well, closing all doors, it seemed like his Lancia was just too wide to be passed I was somewhat faster in the first section, I could only get side-by-side on the Park Straight a few times, but not enough to claim the Park corner. Meantime I had to watch my back, as I knew Jason would pass me had I made the smallest mistake..

Which finally happened around the half hour mark, I messed up my line at Charlies, so he was able to pull alongside and pass me on the straight:

I decided to pit, hoping that I'll be able to get a few fast laps without anyone in front and maybe getting ahead of Jason or Hernan whenever they take their turn in the pits. That never happened, and again I lost some seconds in the pits, also due to hitting the fence on my way out. That put me 5 seconds behind Hernan. I was able to close in with each lap, and by the time I caught up with him it was Jason's turn to pit. I saw him coming out from the pits, we had much higher speed, so that was a very tricky moment. Hernan and Jason side-by side for the first turn, and me right behind them:

The fight between them left Hernan with a difficult line at Charlies, and that allowed me to pass him on the straight. Now their roles changed, but I had to deal with the same thing, try to pass Jason, but the same time avoid any mistakes, as Hernan was on my tail, tapping me at one moment just to remind me he was still there, not that I could forget that for a moment

Last edited by mms; 11-05-2018 at 02:57 PM.

I knew that without Jason making a mistake there was no way to pass him, I tried to push him as hard as possible in the hopes he'll make one. That happened with about 10 minutes to go, Jason got too wide in T1, we took Charlies side-by-side, but having the outside I got a better exit letting me get ahead on the straight:

But towards the end of the straight he was able to get on the inside, though not without sacrificing his entry, he came in a bit too hot, and with his worn tires he only could run wide on the exit, allowing me to pass him again:

That also allowed Hernan to pass Jason, and for the few laps remaining we kept our positions. For me those were the most difficult laps, it's always easier to follow someone

All in all this was one of the greatest races I ever had! And not because I won, it's because the clean and fair fight we had. Yesterday I was the lucky one, but the places on the podium could have gone in all the possible ways.

Many thanks to Jason and Hernan for the great fights, and everyone else for the great turnout!!!

P.S.: sorry for the heap of images, I just couldn't help myself
    Last edited by mms; 11-05-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Loving these postrace reports, thanks for posting guys!

yeah, I watched the battle. Fantastic!

-See You On Track!

Didn't have much practice in these cars so I qualified around were I figured I would. Got a lousy start and lost a couple of spots then going into T4 I went in to fast and my front end started to wash out and it took me to the outside of the corner and I slid into BrentA which caused both of us off the track, sorry about that Brent, my fault. Once back on track I was at the back of the pack a few seconds behind the guy ahead of I had to really drive like hell to move up through the field and had some great battles while doing so. Didn't have any hope of catching up with the top 3 guys but had a lot of fun racing with everyone.

Congrat's to Mihaly, Hernan, and Jason on their podiums

Cya at Mas du Clos
    Dave Slee (DaveS)
    #38 iRacing CanAm Racing Team

In the 4th picture posted by Mihaly, the Porsche ahead, the Alfa with a power slide and wait, what is that?????, the Lancia is front wheel drive, how in that point I had those wheels loking for the wrong side??