Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: McLaren Shadow Competition

Default McLaren Shadow Competition

Competition annoucement and info on getting started.

Competition homepage, sign up, and competition overview.

Just wondering if anyone else here is playing around with this?
    The list is quite long, and while I recognize a lot of names there, I haven't ran across any from here (on a glance)

I've found I'm becoming quite addicted to besting my own best times, trying to find that one run that defines perfection.
    It's tricky, and initially I arrogantly thought I'd go in, do a time a few seconds off the top 50 or so, and improve from there. Boy was I wrong!
    Initial laps were horrible, somewhere in the 1:37s. Two days trying to figure out where I was losing so much pace. Finally found something (sort of)..but still far off the top times

Sitting mid 300s on the list right now (1:33.2xx), hoping to improve another second or two, at the least.
    How I could gain 4 SECONDS (an eternity) is beyond me. Feels like I'll run out of skills in the 32s, but perhaps I'm wrong, thought the same thing when I worked it into the 35s.

Very interested in the next competition, M23 at Zandvoort.
    The car is a bit more my style, and I'll be interested to see how some of those that sit higher on the charts here fare in a very different machine from the past. Maybe a bit more chance to climb further up the list in that one as I tend to lap in a bit higher tier in such cars.

So, is anyone else doing this?
    Be interested to see some times, if so. Please share if you wish!

Also, here is a setup I've been messing around with a bit, for those that may wish to test this competition out a bit but don't want to vest effort in the setup (default isn't all that bad and some were actually lapping faster with mostly default than I'm lapping, even now, so take it with a grain of salt )

1332 McLaren Comp.svm
    Last edited by davidan; 09-26-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks for posting Jason. And thanks for the setup, I will check it out. I have been planning to have some fun with it as well. So will try to get in a few laps in the next day or two before round 1 ends.

my personal motorsports blog

also at the same time iRacing is running one too, with the GT3 car. https://www.iracing.com/mclaren-shadow/

From my understanding, a wide range of platforms are going to be utilized for this competition at various times.
    How they are going to separate the "winners" when the actual racing happens, I'm not quite clear on that.

Fun to see where one stacks up in terms of raw speed sometimes.
    I see names below me on the list that are generally faster over the course of my racing with them, and I see names there that I generally see as backmarkers while participating in the same places, yet they are a second or two ahead of me here. Interesting to me, and shows the [often overlooked] gap between "hotlap skills" and race craft.

I like that some of the competition involves some vintage stuff. It's usually overlooked and modern stuff is always used for this kind of thing and I'm really interested to see where I land in comparison to some of these [seeming] "aliens" when we get out of their comfort zone and into mine

I'll add (or anyone else, feel free to add) links to some of the other platforms being utilized for this, if and when I run across them.
    Even seen one for some mobile "sim"....lol...I've no real clue about it, but have seen some chatter from some that enjoy that sort of thing. It's the reason I am not quite clear on how they will differentiate, and/or how they expect those guys that use only that platform, to compete with seasoned sim racers when they e sports event takes place. Guess we'll see at that time.

That setup is not my own, not entirely. Have to go in the tuning menu before going in server for the downforce packages. I'm at the standard "medium/high" package that is "used for most circuits" as it says in the tuning menu.
    Anyways, setup is a few tweaks on a setup I jacked from Rudy van Buren's youtube stream when he was messing around trying to break the 1:30 mark.
    Crazy, watching him drive around, seemingly casually, doing faster laps than my best when I'm pushing like all hell. (With basically default setup, mind you! )

I'm just looking to break 31s, would be thrilled to do so.

I am slow at 34.2 and 500's
    2012 CMS North American and World Divison P1 Champion

Case-HAF922, Motherboard-ASUS-ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING, Processor-I5-9600K, Ram-32GB GSKILL,DVD Burner-ASUS X 2, Power Supply-Corsair HX850, Wheel-T500-Ferrari F1 Rim, Monitor-LG 42" 4K, Video Card-EVGA GeForce GTX 980 ti 6GB
    "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, then you are no longer a racing driver. I am not designed to come 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th. I am designed to win.." Ayrton Senna

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer23 View Post
    I am slow at 34.2 and 500's
    Truth be told, the majority of my laps are in that range. High 33s on most laps I considered "fast". The additional half second off, which brought me down to 33.2 was a one off sort of deal and I'm still not sure where I gained that time.

Has taken me a long time to find exactly where I could go flat out. Some places, I did not expect to be able to go flat out in 6th gear, foot to the floor. I drive through it all casually and the car just doesn't stick, but in throttle and whip it through, low and behold she sticks!

Copse is the easy one. Flat out, not a lot of issues there. There are some bumps that will shove you track left, but stay to the inside of them on apex and can sort of miss them entirely.
    Maggots took me a bit longer to realize I didn't need to downshift. Becketts, the same, and a LOT of time, for me anyways, to be had there if/when I get it right (mostly, not so much)
    Sometimes it really feels like 4th or 5th gear with the power on should be faster. Sure "feels faster" in the car. But, it's not. Car's too pegged out that way, and while it seems faster to basically redline before each gear change, it's not. The car suffers slightly at extremely high revs and does better if most shifts are around the 13,000 mark, perhaps a few of the latter gears at 13,3 or so....anything beyond that and you're losing time and speed.

Plan to put down a few more laps today, try to break the 33 flat mark, at least. Keep moving up and then dropping back down the list. Didn't realize how many talented sim racers (in terms of fast laps...because none of this is any indicator at all of actually ability to RACE! ...hehe) there are out there. Apparently there are quite a few skills sets of fast hands out there.
    Now, how to get more of those types racing with the rest of us

Finally! Sweet and glorious 1:32s

ETA: Bit different setup for those that might want to try it out. ...*cough, don't you beat me again with my own damned setup, John!@.....cough*
    32s! last .svm

....Rear wing is R1 value, so adjust in tuning menu before going into a server if need be.
    Last edited by Jason Whited; 09-26-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Woohoo I am on the board, 780th place! I think I have a low 36. haha. Car feels very fun, I'll have to see if I can take a couple more seconds off today and tomorrow.

Down to a 1:34.2 how in the world they are doing 29's is beyond me.
    Last edited by davidan; 09-26-2018 at 06:29 PM.

I can't get below 35 anymore. I have no idea why
    2012 CMS North American and World Divison P1 Champion

Case-HAF922, Motherboard-ASUS-ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING, Processor-I5-9600K, Ram-32GB GSKILL,DVD Burner-ASUS X 2, Power Supply-Corsair HX850, Wheel-T500-Ferrari F1 Rim, Monitor-LG 42" 4K, Video Card-EVGA GeForce GTX 980 ti 6GB
    "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, then you are no longer a racing driver. I am not designed to come 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th. I am designed to win.." Ayrton Senna