Thread: F1 2018 (Codemasters)

Default F1 2018 (Codemasters)

I've been chomping at the bit to get this game for weeks now. I even took off from work early today, only to find that the game is hard broken.

Apparently, the game will CTD on the loading screen of every mode, if run on an AMD Phenom/Althon CPU.

Isn't that awesome! Honestly, I can't even get mad about it, because this is so typical for the folks who call themselves "CODEMASTERS" and I'm simply not the least bit surprised. It's like reaching down to pet an alligator and then being astonished that it bites you...seriously, did anyone really think CM was going to deliver a game that didn't have some major glitch out of the box?!? Not this guy.

Anyway, if they ever get around to fixing the problem and if that happens before I finally give up and demand a refund, I'll come back and post my review.

Until then...I hear it's great!

Over night, Codemasters posted this in their technical forum. I haven't had a chance to try this yet, I'm actually at work, but I do applaud CM for getting on this post haste. However, I do have one complaint, which I'll address below.

We have a potential fix for this issue. However, as these CPUs are not officially supported by the game and haven't been through a full QA cycle, we do not want to place this fix into the main game just yet. Instead, we have set up a beta branch in Steam where you can get this fix and see if it resolves your issue. To do this, please follow these steps:
    Open your Steam library
    Right-click on the F1 2018 game and select "Properties"
    Select the Beta tab on the properties pop up
    In the text entry box ‘Enter beta access code to unlock private betas’ enter: c7EFPdFd6XADgGL7X284D4m8N6gYZmvb then click CHECK CODE.
    A message “Access code correct, private beta ‘phenomtest’ is now available will appear
    Ensure that in the drop-down menu on the Betas tab that "phenomtest" is selected (not the default NONE option) and then Close the window.
    The game will now update.
    Launch F1 2018. This game version should now display as v1.04.1 at the Press Start Screen.
    Please let us know if this resolves your immediate issues. If so, we'll roll this fix into the main game once our full QA cycle has been completed.

Customers who do not have the affected CPUs should not get this branch as there might be unintended side effects from this change.

Customers who do not have the affected CPUs and who are experiencing problems launching the game should add a new support thread with the required information: F1 Games: TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE & BUG REPORTS - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. This should include a summary of your core system specs and graphics driver information.
    "...as these CPUs are not officially supported by the game..."

what_grinds_my_gears_family_guy.jpg

That kind of statement is solely meant to place the blame at the feet of the customer. It is also intended to give the developer some wiggle room when customer's complain about a product that was clearly NOT tested on the aforementioned CPU's. The only thing that would be worse, is if they tested it, knew it was hard broken, but didn't want to push back the release date...actually, now that I think about it, there is probably some truth to that statement.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with CM not supporting a particular CPU, but Phenom/Athlon CPU's are still quite prevalent in the market place and I don't understand how or why a developer would simply ignore a platform that is less than a decade old. I get you don't support it, but wouldn't you want to know about a major problem "before" you pissed off a large portion of your customer base?

I think it's fair to assume that this issue was simply an oversight, because there really was no precedence for this being an issue. So, it's easy for me to forgive the problem, but I wish...just once...that CM would take responsibility for a problem that they created and quit blaming the customer every time something goes amiss.

...and the love/hate relationship continues.

I know that F1 2018 isn't exactly everyone's cup o' tea. CMS is an online racing community and lets be honest, Codemaster's titles aren't exactly well respected within the "Sim" racing community. I, a self-proclaimed sim racing snob, would never argue otherwise, but I have been completely enamored with the F1 franchise since discovering if for the first time in 2017.

Now, this is not meant to be a comprehensive review. Heck, despite some 276 hours of play in F1 2017, I never completed a full season, never competed online and I pretty much ignored much of the what F1 2017 had to offer, outside of the actual career mode. I'm also no expert. I don't use aids, I strictly drive from the cockpit, I strive for as much realism as possible and I compete at the masters level, but I don't have the skill to consistently compete at 100%, much less the 110% that a lot of Youtuber's do.

I suppose I could if I actually dedicated a lot of time to the game, but sim racing has become a secondary hobby for me for the time being. Hence, I want it to be fun, competitive, but without the intensity that comes with online competition. When I say intensity, I mean the pressure that goes along with maintaining skills to be both competitive and respected with your fellow sim racers. I'm so rusty these days, I'd be afraid of ruining someone's race far more than I would be worried about how competitive I was...but I digress.

The quick and dirty on F1 2018 is that it is tremendous fun. Perfect, no...but it is a big step up from 2017 and the career mode is far more immersive. I would argue that there has never been a more complete single player "Sim" racing game. Oh, there are going to be plenty of people who would disagree, but I've personally never experienced better AI and I've raced pretty much everything out there that's not console based.

The AI are never going to provide the same racing experience that you will get with online play, but IMHO the AI in F1 2018 are far superior to anything that has come before and that includes the excellent AI in F1 2017. I know that some people will say they are far too aggressive or even unpredictable...but, let's be honest. Human's are unpredictable and sometimes downright stupid. Lance "Rolling Chicane" Stroll comes to mind...and for you iRacers, hearken back to your early days of thrashing about Laguna Seca with a bunch of rookies in Miata's. At times, humans can be quite diabolical and the only thing predictable is their unpredictability.

F1 2018 AI brings that sense of unpredictability, but without the malice that some online knuckleheads portray. I would contend that the AI is fair, firm, but not free from human'esc behaviors. How many times have you attempted a pass and over shot the turn, barged inside or inadvertently bumped, nudged or flat out punted someone. It happens, we're human and no one is immune from it. Well, F1 2018 isn't either, but it is about as close to any real world online racing experience that I've ever had.

So, if you're a fan of Formula One racing and you want a great offline, single-player, racing experience...F1 2018 should not be missed. The career mode is amazing and although there are certainly aspects of it that can be improved and IMHO it is the bench mark when it comes to the genre. Nothing compares, not even Automobilista, rFactor 2 or Raceroom.

NOTE:
    Let's talk halo. Everyone hates it and thankfully, there is an option to disable the center pillar. However, out of curiosity I decided to see what it was like to drive with it in place and something very interesting happened.

At first, I couldn't stop looking at it. It's right in the middle of the screen for crips sake! Then, gradually I started to focus on looking around it, through it and eventually it was no longer a distraction.

Now, the interesting part is that it actually made me faster. I kid you not. Having the Halo center bar forced me to stop fixating on the center of the screen and I began to move my head more while actually "looking" towards the apex (I have a triple monitor setup if your wondering).

Like a lot of people, I think we tend to get lazy and fixate on the center of the screen. It reminded me of an advanced rider safety course I took back in the day. They forced you to fully turn your head, focusing directly on the apex. After some practice, you begin to hit the apex with more accuracy and speed. It was the Halo center pillar that reminded that you steer with your head.

On sale on Steam Halloween Sale right now for 35 bucks. I bought it, and can confirm that this version works fine with multi USB controllers, in my case a t300rs wheel, Fanatec Clubsport v3, and a button box, and tH8 Shifter all hooked up. I need to tune the FFB some more, but so far so good. Troy I would be interested in what FFB you have found to work well.

my personal motorsports blog

I've been playing this on career mode and a bit of multiplayer with good ole Val Hoggard when I can drag his baboon butt outa the big rig. I've really enjoyed it. The FFB was always my pet peeve and the '16 version was ridiculously bad IMHO. This years is a major improvement thankfully and where it lacks in some areas of simulation it shines in others. The practice program keeps you engaged in practice sessions and if you had a friend who was just getting into racing, it may even help them develop their skills a bit.

I personally love the use of ERS deployment and fuel mix as you need to have all your ducks in a row for the perfect quali lap... just like for reals. lol

One thing I will make others aware of if using SimX wheel is... your gadgets like Fanaleds, DashMeterPro, SliPro default to a newer UDP while SimX forces you to use legacy UDP for the wheel to use SimCommander/SimVibe settings. So... I am unable to use those peripherals when I'm using F1 2018 as I have to chose - telemetry to my wheelSimVibe or telemetry to my bells and whistles.
    I did find an app in the PlayStore that uses legacy so I can use it and others have mentioned they use SLIMax Manager Pro as a work around.

Bailey

What FFB settings do you all like? I am getting pretty good results with t300RS but still diaiing it in on tweaks ...

my personal motorsports blog

With my G27, I use in game 80 75 70 and in the wheel app: FF 100 and for all the rest 0 or off. Lastly, 370 degrees wheel rotation.

On sale at Humble Bundle for $14.99.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/f...018_storefront

Of course, 2019 is just around the corner...and if you haven't seen it, they're adding something historic to the mix.

Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift CV1