Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NARS 2018 Autumn - Test Race 2 - VIR South - Results, Replay and Comments

Default NARS 2018 Autumn - Test Race 2 - VIR South - Results, Replay and Comments

Last edited by Doug Atkinson; 08-05-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

Awesome guys! Hated to miss, but am out of town traveling.

my personal motorsports blog

Cool race, good testing ground for the P3 car, which revealed the car is going to be finicky and difficult at certain tracks. It has some understeer properties at tight corners with elevation changes
    and pushing the boundaries of setup solutions. It is very touchy under braking, makes brake balance and brake force very important part of the setup.

Started the race 5th. Opening laps showed that passing was going to be a challenge among evenly matched drivers. Moved up to 3rd after Colin and Greg had problems. Closed up the gap and followed Norm quite a bit.
    Few attempts at T1 was unsuccessful as he defended the inside line well. More than 1/3rd of the race was gone already when I went for a pass again on the S/F straight. This time he did not move out of racing line but I was not overlapping him fair enough
    so I pulled back a little just before the turn in, unfortunately I wasn't completely behind him and tapped him on his RT/R corner, forcing him to go off track. I waited right after T1 exit. we joined the race again in 7th and 8th respectively. Apologies Norm
    that was not good racing, cost you a lot of positions.
    Later on L36 pitted one lap after Norm and came out in front, but I picked a stop and go 10 sec penalty for speeding. Which killed my race for good.

I don't think Oulton Park is going to be a good match for this car, but other than that with participating names and the challenges P3 car brings it will be a spicy championship for sure.
    __The view is great from moral high ground__

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Uyan View Post
    Cool race, good testing ground for the P3 car, which revealed the car is going to be finicky and difficult at certain tracks. It has some understeer properties at tight corners with elevation changes
    and pushing the boundaries of setup solutions. It is very touchy under braking, makes brake balance and brake force very important part of the setup.

Started the race 5th. Opening laps showed that passing was going to be a challenge among evenly matched drivers. Moved up to 3rd after Colin and Greg had problems. Closed up the gap and followed Norm quite a bit.
    Few attempts at T1 was unsuccessful as he defended the inside line well. More than 1/3rd of the race was gone already when I went for a pass again on the S/F straight. This time he did not move out of racing line but I was not overlapping him fair enough
    so I pulled back a little just before the turn in, unfortunately I wasn't completely behind him and tapped him on his RT/R corner, forcing him to go off track. I waited right after T1 exit. we joined the race again in 7th and 8th respectively. Apologies Norm
    that was not good racing, cost you a lot of positions.
    Later on L36 pitted one lap after Norm and came out in front, but I picked a stop and go 10 sec penalty for speeding. Which killed my race for good.

I don't think Oulton Park is going to be a good match for this car, but other than that with participating names and the challenges P3 car brings it will be a spicy championship for sure.
    Understand that I did not make the race in the first place, and understand further that (because of that) that I'm commenting/commentating solely on these post race reports.

That said: Your commentary, Jon, is exactly the what I would hope to hear from an [honest] competitor: I fuck** up. But maybe he did too....

Well, in this case it sounds like Norm (ahead of you) probably didn't...but what strikes me the most about your commentary is that you seem to be trying to do your best...

...to give your own best perspective about all of it. And so I can only applaud you.

Here we go....potential problems for me. When I did a pit stop in practice the engine revved up and down like crazy with no input from me. Thought (hoped) it was an anomaly and carried on to the race. Car was weird from the start and as the first few laps went by it was like the brakes weren't working well, or sometimes at all. Couldn't get slowed down for corners and kept running off. Bailed, went to CONTROLS and saw that the throttle was spiking. Hopefully I can find some help on the internet that will enable me to take it apart in hopes that a cleaning will cure it. This piece is actually a replacement for my previous Logitech G920 which went bad in less than a year. Might be looking for something else.....without breaking the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Here we go....potential problems for me. When I did a pit stop in practice the engine revved up and down like crazy with no input from me. Thought (hoped) it was an anomaly and carried on to the race. Car was weird from the start and as the first few laps went by it was like the brakes weren't working well, or sometimes at all. Couldn't get slowed down for corners and kept running off. Bailed, went to CONTROLS and saw that the throttle was spiking. Hopefully I can find some help on the internet that will enable me to take it apart in hopes that a cleaning will cure it. This piece is actually a replacement for my previous Logitech G920 which went bad in less than a year. Might be looking for something else.....without breaking the bank.
    A fairly detailed thread here that should be of aide, some handy pictures for reference as well.

Thanks Jason, that's very helpful. Short test was fine, I'll do a longer one later today. Thanks again! (Bookmarked that thread for future use.

9. Default

Tight racing last night. The slow corners were tricky. I especially had trouble finding my turn in point and managing understeer vs going too slow in the corner.

I lost a few positions early on to Jon and Angelo. I wasn't getting a good exit onto the straight and probably had higher downforce as well which made angelo's pass into 1 pretty easy. I was able to jump him in the pitstop but I miscalculated the fuel load Oh well. Stopped for a splash with 5 min to go and lost 2 places. Ended up 4th but I was happy that I had a more or less mistake free race.

2nd place was a total surprise and totally deceiveing of what is my real pace compared with some of the other drivers around.
    But personally for me was a great race and one I enjoyed.

Was not super exciting. Is more about be consistent and try to stay out of troubles. Good strategies. And reach the finish line.
    For a TV audience would be boring, but since is not our case, thats fine. Thats endurance racing.

Again I have to be critic about the whole Skin Transfer process. I dont like it, it doesnt work properly, and it is slow. You go to the track and dont see the skins you are suppose to see, and dont know if the problem is you or the process. And this is annoying.
    It takes a lot of the charm for the Championship. So after the warm up I decided forget about that and if I have to race clones, so be it.

Im claiming the #8 default car for the season, since there isnt a thread about that.
    Last edited by AngeloRacer; 08-03-2018 at 12:14 PM.