Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-racing games?

Default Non-racing games?

What are you playing when you are not racing?

I need to find something new to try...
    Steen Nielsen (aka. wheeler)

Tom Walkinshaw: "When black goes to green, you are in troubles..."

Mafia 3 has driving, but the Mafia series is something I've at times enjoyed more than GTA to be quite honest. War Thunder perhaps? World of Warplanes? Battlefield V? Don't get me started on flight sims lol..

Marc - I have a history with flight sims starting with Falcon 4.0. Currently I have an outdated version (v1.x) of DCS and some fancy hardware for it, but I don't have the time for that hardcore stuff right now. Maybe you could suggest a good "casual" combat flight sim with modern airplanes?

I wish I could, but I'm a nostalgia freak or 'old soul' if you will.

Steen,
    I have a lot of flight sims but I can't think of any casual modern fighter ones. DCS seems to have the corner on the modern fighter market. In the old days Jane's put out a bunch of modern fighter sims, which I still have. Don't know if they'd even work today. There was also a sim called Mig Alley I liked.

If you can live with WWII you can fly British fighters and intercept waves of incoming German bombers, among other fun stuff. Wings Of Prey is available at Steam.
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco

When not racing, or not driving?

I like American Truck Simulator as a break, but if I want to do something different without the wheel:

- Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 (lovin' the hemis, and with the workshop you never run out of cars!)
    - Telltale Walking Dead series
    - X-COM

I want to get back into Fallout 4, but can't find the time.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-9700k @ 3.6Ghz (4.9GHz Turbo) | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Gaming 8GB | MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 | SSD: Samsung 970EVO 512GB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V3 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift S

After having enjoyed civilian trucking, and remembering my old love for MS Flight Sim, I have been looking into the civ flight sims: Should I go for the old MS Flight Sim X (Steam edition) or the new X-planes 11? Or something else?

FSX is old and not supported anymore, so the current top choices for a civilian sim are X-Plane 11 and P3D (which is based on the same platform as FSX.)

My personal choice is X-Plane 11, as it has a ton of freeware add ons to make it phenomenal. To get P3D to the same level, you have to spend lots of money. There is currently more high quality payware available for P3D though, but XP11 is catching up in that area. XP11 also has a generally more realistic flight model, however some P3D payware aircraft (PMDG, etc.) have flight models that are just as good.

XP11, especially with free ortho scenery, is generally preferred for GA, while P3D is generally preferred if you want to get into high-end, study quality tube liners. XP has some high quality payware tube liners too (and some amazing freeware like the Zibo 737 mod) but P3D is still ahead in this area.

Head over the the /r/flightsim subreddit if you want a more detailed comparison on the platforms.
    Eric Elliott
    Terrapin Racing #224

Do you run X-plane as a Steam install?

I don't, I use the one directly from Laminar, but they are both functionally the same. The main difference is on the Steam one, you don't get all the betas, you just get the later betas.
    Eric Elliott
    Terrapin Racing #224