Thread: Shut up and take my money!

Default Shut up and take my money!

acb.jpg

I would gladly pay $50 for a proper offline paint viewer for iRacing. For all the nice things that are available for the game, why in the world hasn't someone done that...

Would be cool for sure.

I load up centripetal circuit, turn off Trading Paints, and just alt-tab back and forth between GIMP and iR. Alt-r reloads textures.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

My problem is that iRacing is on one computer and Paint Shop Pro is on another. So I not only have to switch between programs, I have to switch between machines.

/first world problems

/still a PITA

Oh that changes everything
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat77 View Post
    My problem is that iRacing is on one computer and Paint Shop Pro is on another. So I not only have to switch between programs, I have to switch between machines.

/first world problems

/still a PITA
    I actually get this because I also used PSP back in the day. I still have the disc and box...and (most important by far)...the bound manual, nearby. PSP5 in my case I think. \

The bound manual lays out concepts--it's a teaching manual, so even if the actual keystrokes and mouse-clicks it references no longer apply, its layout and conceptual construction, as a manual, are still quite valid. IMO, anyway.

But it's also time to move on.

One [free] four letter word: GIMP. GIMP...which can also run under the Linux OS [Operating System]. You are not tied to Microsoft Windows with GIMP, so it is your multi-platform painting/photo-editing software choice of the future.

The operative word here is "free," btw. Free is the new way of the world, and knowing that your own politics lean left anyway, I'm actually surprised you don't already embrace this.

But it's fine too...because you do at least know of it now.

-----

If you are interested too in 3D modeling, let me suggest you also try BLENDER. BLENDER is GIMP's free 3D modeling software twin, if you will.

The list goes on. Those who are NOT in the know still pay (Apple! LOL! People actually still pay for Apple! Not only that, but they actually stand in line for appointments (I see them every day). But, then, people are often "sheeple" too....

Of course, that's all ^^^ just my opinion too.... Feel "free" to disregard it.

I won't mind.
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 07-27-2018 at 04:54 AM.

One thing that all graphics programs have in common is a steep learning curve. Once you've mastered a program, whether it's PS, PSP, or GIMP, you're not very willing to go through the whole learning process again. I've got a copy of PS on this computer which I got because something - I don't even remember what - didn't work properly with PSP but they fixed it. I tried GIMP a long time ago, but I'm stuck in my ways and don't see myself changing software anytime soon.

GIMP is awesome.

Hey Paul, can your machine that has Paint Shop Pro on it, also run iRacing? Maybe you could install the base content and then work on your paints in one place.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin

I've been using PSP8 for what seems like forever, and it's still my go to when doing anything graphics wise....until I run into Alpha Channels. Then I have to go to Photoshop or GIMP.

Or phone a friend.

Regarding paint schemes for iRacing, I thought at one time Trading Paints was going to have an online paint program for Pro members? Or am I imagining that.....
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-4790k @ 4Ghz | GPU: EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 6GB | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift CV1

Quote Originally Posted by TimCollier View Post
    Regarding paint schemes for iRacing, I thought at one time Trading Paints was going to have an online paint program for Pro members? Or am I imagining that.....
    Nope, not imagining it. I just couldn't tell you how robust the functionality is.

I've been using PS and all of the creative suite 3 since I bought it 2007 through my school (yes I'm that cheap) and it still provides all I need for iRacing paints. I know a lot of guys who use GIMP, but everyone who does use it always seems to complain that they wish it had all the granular functionality of PS.

If you already have PSP on your machine with the iRacing service, most of the PS techniques still apply.

It took me about a year to get to the point where I could creatively think of design solutions without tutorial help in PS, but when I did need the tuts - there were always some available, specific to the need of my question. The other thing is, always remember your layers. I can't stress enough how important it is to organize first, and take the time to break out your sections and boundaries before getting creative. Then making changes is as simple as one or two clicks, instead of repeating the same time consuming actions over and over again.
    Last edited by TwoFlatTires; 07-27-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Trading Paints' Paint Builder is okay. Way better than the iRacing Paint Garage, but you can't see things like wireframes, and I don't think you can do things like gradients and masks, so yeah, it's still better to use an external program.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin