Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Porsche 356A mod for AC, physics by Patrice Cote

Default New Porsche 356A mod for AC, physics by Patrice Cote

Here's a quick link to download the Porsche 356A 1600 Carrera GT coupe mod which was released this week. I made the physics for the car and think it's pretty accurate, the "S1" is the fast one...We'll release lots more racing liveries later.

Porsche 356A 1600 Carrera coupe

porschepatrice.jpg
    Last edited by davidan; 08-04-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Given that my father owned one, and that I was raised "building Lincoln Log houses"*

* I'm quoting myself, as this is usually the way I describe it to those who ask.

...over on the passenger's side front seat floor of his own 356, I can't help be a fan even before trying these.

[tips hat to Mr. Cote]

-----------

I was far too young, and far too young even after he traded the 356 in for a '66 911 to really understand, then, the details of driving...

...but when I was older my dad hearkened back to his experience with the 356: "It had PERFECT gearing. As soon as you upshifted from one gear into the next, the engine (I assume he meant torque) kicked right in. And each gear was the same to the next one, going both up and down"

He was telling me this quite a few years after the 911 had gone away (accident)...when I was learning to drive using his late sixties Jeep CJ5 (four speed...with decidedly less well thought out gearing). So I couldn't really appreciate, then, what "well spaced gearing" really was.

I only learned it later when I got my own first car: A '71 914-4 (1.7). Only then did it start to dawn on me how it COULD work, if matched well to the engine.
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 07-21-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Default Porsche Carrera-my story

IMG_0008.JPG

Chris-
    From 1956, Wilmot, Wisconsin. My stepdad racing our new Porsche Carrera, as far as I know it was the first prototype in the US. We flew from Chicago to Miami to pick it up and we drove it back to Chicago; I rode in the back seat with some luggage. My Mom, Stepdad, and me!

My stepdad was Jim Witten, he ran his own body and paint shop and he painted the car and fashioned the headrest. They put straight pipes on to race. Shortly after we brought the car home, a family friend and sports car racer himself, Bob Ballenger, brought over his brother in law, Masten Gregory, and I went for a fast ride around the neighborhood with him! Wow! was that fun. I was fourteen.

Not sure what happened to the car. My family moved to Wyoming, brought the car with us, but I drove it a couple of times when the folks were away for a weekend, but lost track of it while in college and they divorced...so, I have Porsche Carrera in my DNA, though I've never owned a Porsche.
    -Tony

If I'm not mistaken Bob Ballenger is/or was a member here too at CMS?

I also had the pleasure of meeting a fellow back in the GPL days--he was in his late sixties then, and unfortunately I cannot, at the moment remember his name--who raced 356's (along with his wife, who also did independently before they married).

He was hosting one night and the track was Solitude...and he said "I'm pretty sure I raced here in my Porsche." I just loved it...because it had all faded (for him) into a pleasant sort of grey memory. And he mostly remembered the GOOD stuff.
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 07-21-2018 at 09:16 PM.

BTW, I certainly remember your Step-Dad's name too. Probably from reading "VW & Porsche" magazine back in the day. It was a sort of "shop/prep/racetrack" oriented magazine...and I have the idea your step-dad raced 356's and might even have raced 914's. One particular paintjob is ringing a dim bell right now (I might put it together by morning).

[QUOTE=Christopher Snow;248103]If I'm not mistaken Bob Ballenger is/or was a member here too at CMS?

Chris-
    Yes, Bob Ballenger got me started in sim racing, we started with Indy Cars and then got online and joined VOR which eventually merged with CMS. He loved sim racing, mostly hot lapping, and we raced online for several years. Bob passed away a few years ago and I continued racing with Larry Hansen, who had become a good friend of Bob's his last few years. Alas, Larry too passed away a few years ago and I just lost interest until this past year, and another old timer from back then got me started again. My debt to Jerry Hamilton (jham) is ongoing.
    Last edited by Tony Boynton; 07-21-2018 at 10:09 PM.

[QUOTE=Tony Boynton;248105]
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
    If I'm not mistaken Bob Ballenger is/or was a member here too at CMS?

Chris-
    Yes, Bob Ballenger got me started in sim racing, we started with Indy Cars and then got online and joined VOR which eventually merged with CMS. He loved sim racing, mostly hot lapping, and we raced online for several years. Bob passed away a few years ago and I continued racing with Larry Hansen, who had become a good friend of Bob's his last few years. Alas, Larry too passed away a few years ago and I just lost interest until this past year, and another old timer from back then got me started again. My debt to Jerry Hamilton (jham) is ongoing.
    Just read this fine post (thx!) and before I let it go I want to jump on the Jerry Hamilton bandwagon too. But I won't say anything in particular...just know that I'm on...it.

I will always be sorry I never got to know Bob [Ballenger] (similarly with Norm--I probably would have worn out my welcome, though, with both of them...and with all my questions.).

With Bob it would have been all about racing. With Norm...maybe 50-50 between racing and railroading.

But I missed 'em both. And I'm sure neither one of them is losing any sleep over it--that would be me alone doing that.

I probably will tonight, in fact.
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 07-21-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Can't wait the try the 356 Patrice. Any cars well matched with it?
    -------------------------------
    Michael Kolar (aka Hutch)

I was finally able to spend some time with this car last night.
    Of course, being a Nordschleife fanatic, the question wasn't where should I initially track this car, it was simply....how long will I be here when I do (and how many times will I die during this process)

Right out of the gate the car was wholly driveable. It's very intuitive, and the ffb is top notch.
    This thing is just absolutely amazing. It might not be the fastest car, but the challenge of keeping momentum up, keeping the revs up, trying not to slide beyond that point where it becomes lose....it all adds up to a really great driving experience.

I've never really left any reviews at RD on anything I've picked up there. I'm lazy like that.
    However, I will definitely be over there later today to give a full review, and no doubt 5 full stars. No way this car is deserving of anything less. It's a piece of art, there's no doubt about that.

Patrice, very nicely done with the physics. Very envious of you guys that have an understanding of such things, lots I'd love to do but the learning curve keeps driving me to procrastination.
    Now, to find a modder to pay to build me a track that I've had in mind, comprised of some local backroads, and I'd be set. Would love to be able to drive such a car in this sim on such familiar roads. (So, if anyone knows such a person, I'm willing to pay...please send them my way! )

We NEED to race these things! I don't even care if we're all in the same color car, we just NEED to race these things!
    Fun to be had, for sure. A shame that those of us that love this type of content are seemingly few and far between. This mod should have TONS of reviews, 5 star ratings, chatter surrounding it.
    Surely, takes a special breed to put time and effort into something they know only a small segment of the sim racing world will take interest in. So, THANK YOU guys for this!
    Easily as good as some of the content I've paid money for, EASILY! Which leads me to another thing I've never done with free mods I've picked up...I will definitely be sending a bit of donation as soon as I can, otherwise I'm going to spend my life feeling like I stole this thing!

Top notch work...can't say it enough.