Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NARS 2018 Autumn - Test Race 1 - Lime Rock - Results, Replay, and Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Cedward View Post
    There was some serious attrition out there.

I was following Angelo for the first 20 laps or so and all of a sudden he just takes off coming down the hill into the last corner! I mean he starts flying through the air He must have hit someone's rear wing or front clip because it just launched him. No time to react either because it was just over the crest of the hill. I let off the throttle and hit the same piece of debris but luckily it didn't send me into the grass.

Wild one for sure.
    Yeah, that was pretty much it, Colin. No chance at all and I took off like a plane to retirement.
    With the low visibility at the end of day graphically, I never had a clue about what I hit.

I totally agree with Jon about the midday race time. For me, at this track, it didnt work at all and sometimes I was completely "blind" because of stuttering.

Personally Im happy, since I was able to race at all. It didnt look good and still doesnt, so was good to be on track.

EDIT: Guys, we really need to get the paintings thing right, with clear rules. Some cars that the server downloaded yesterday overwrote the default cars from the game. I lost 2 default cars I think, cant see them anymore. This is not nice.
    Plus it took a very, very very long time to download all skins from the server. With 15 minutes to go to end the race my game was still downloading skins from people. Jon Uyan´s skin never came, it keeps flashing red on the status. So would be nice if someone can have a look at that.
    Last edited by AngeloRacer; 07-20-2018 at 06:47 AM.

Bailed because FPS issues.
    Truthfully, probably bailing completely because of the same. Just tired of dealing with rF2. Apparently my system and rF2 just don't want to play nice together.
    I can't find any clear indicators of what is being overly taxed. I've tried everything, but without being able to see the piece(s) of hardware being taxed, it's blind flight. Strangely, even when fps was it's worst, I can look through the graphs detailing hardware usage and absolutely nothing is being overly taxed. Time and time again, I spend vast amounts of time trying to set this sim up to run efficiently verses actually using the damn thing. Jaded by it at this point and don't much care if I ever turn it on again.
    If I could actually see that it was taxing my gear too much it'd be ok. I could start to apply fixes if that were the case, but it isn't. What those "fixes" would be, I have no idea since I've tried the extreme end of the minimum spectrum and it literally changed nothing, but at least I could see that it was the hardware only and I'd be ok with that.

Sorry if I got in anyone's way, I know the last time I spun I could see a car or cars coming from behind...so I gunned it trying to get on across the tarmac and into the grass. Hopefully I made it and didn't cause anyone too much trouble. Probably looked like a madman, but at that point I could barely even tell what was going on anymore.

I also think a midday start time would be better to reduce the framerate drop and stuttering issues.
    I really had no intention on making this race because of a prior commitment but things worked out and I was able to join quali with about 2 mins left. I figured I wouldn't try to get in a lap and start at the back. I was able to get all the way up to 5th until I goofed it at the chicane and got tagged with a stop and go x2. I was happy to finish in the top 10 after starting 19th. Looking forward to the next one.

My PC had some issue with TS about 4 laps into the race and caused my fps to drop to about 25. When I went into the pits I was able to clear the error and it closed TS and my fps went back to normal.

I also grabbed the results file and submitted it to simresults. Result 180720-H5m - Lime Rock Park, Lime Rock Park -- Uphill Chicane - CMS NARS Autumn Series - rFactor 2 - Simresults

Was it brutal out there last night??
    From Jimmy's Simresults
    incidents.JPG
    I hope last nights race didn't discourage anyone, small tight track, new car, and rusty drivers..... it will only get better!!

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

Congratulations on the win to Shawn and to Don and Colin's podium finishes.

My apologies to Christopher Snow for ending his race (and mine) on lap nine. I had had an incident and was returning to the track when I saw him coming up the hill toward me at West Bend. I was already under motion and in the line so I figured it best to clear the racing line and continue across the track until he got by. He might have thought I was going to stop where I was (or was stopped) and chose to go to his right to avoid me. Unfortunately by the time he got there I had already laid claim to that piece of property and ka-blooey, t-bone city, end of race. I was really having a good time up to that point. So, again Chris, I'm sorry.....just glad it wasn't a points race.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fryman View Post
    Was it brutal out there last night??
    From Jimmy's Simresults
    incidents.JPG
    I hope last nights race didn't discourage anyone, small tight track, new car, and rusty drivers..... it will only get better!!
    Looking at my laps and the lap I got stuck in the grass going up the chicane I ended up with 101 incidents!

7. Default

Don and I are discussing and will come back with suggestions and revisions as needed. That's why we're having a couple of test races so drivers and admins can confirm what works, and what is a problem. Its all addressable so standby for a few hours.

Suggestions (for those that don't know to do this stuff... many of you do so disregard if you're already enlightened. )

1. Turn every graphic setting down as low as you can and reduce your resolution (2560 x 1440 > try 1920 x 1080 for example). Put yourself at the back of a 20 car grid. Set rF2 to 25 cars viewable. Default is 13. If you leave it on default, it can cause problems. Set time of day to 3 pm and partly cloudy.

2. If you get stutters and/or your computer is wheezing at those low settings, check your machine for stuff running in the background.

3. If your hardware is okay, check rF2...

delete everything in the ..\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Log\CBash\ folder
    delete everything in the ..\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Log\Shaders folder.

4. Run rF2 the night before the race and check for any updates. Don't wait until just before the race to check.

5. Get on the server during the week and upload your custom skin. DO NOT USE anything other than a single .dds file to upload. No mas files please. Yes, you will get the default windscreen visor.

6. If you check this stuff and it runs better, start cranking rF2 graphic settings up a bit at a time and leave blur off, shadows on medium or low.

7. Check in your monitor settings what you have the gamma set at. If it is on 2.0 try 2.2. If it is 2.2 try 2.4. The monitor controls will have a setting or use the video card control panel.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Atkinson View Post
    leave blur off, shadows on medium or low.
    This had the biggest effect for me. I had shadow blur on fast last night and it was messing up my framerate and looked terrible!

I'd also like to add that I've heard its best to turn off AA and FXAA in RF2 as they have been known to cause problems.

You can use the commands Ctrl+C for your cpu gpu usage graphs and Ctrl+f to see your framerate etc. The cpu graph is the purple bar and if this is spiking up to 100% it can cause juttering without framerate loss. If you're getting this then there's three options, 1) turn off other programs that are using CPU (firefox has caused me issues in the past) 2) Overclocking if you have that capability or 3) think about upgrading your CPU if all else fails.

I know this is more or less common knowledge but I just thought i'd type this up in case anyone didn't know.

First race with the new P3. Thanks CMS/DonF/Doug for hosting this, as this car is getting alot of critical attention ... so this series gives us a good chance to get familiar with it.
    Thanks @don fryman for posting your setup... didn't have too much time to prepare, so your setup was a good baseline to start with.

Lots of yellow flags... i felt lucky to survive that and finish 2nd. Lime Rock is fun for hotlapping, but challenging for races.
    When a car goes off track, the landscape makes it particularly hazardous for safe re-entry. Lots of close calls...
    And not many places to pass, so dealing with lapped traffic was difficult. Some of you made it easier than others, so thank you.

The inside kerb at west bend was particularly tricky, and the visual appearance during race was significant difference than practice/qualify due to shadows. Echo what Jon said about shadows/lighting. That may have contributed to many of the incidents in back section.
    I did not save replay, but the most exciting moment for me was around midway in race, I was exiting west bend (penultimate corner) and there was a car stopped on track under bridge. I tried to go left, but so did he... i avoided contact with car, but grazed the wall ... slight damage to left rear suspension but not enough to worry about repairing. So i feel very lucky to survive and get 2nd place.

With larger track, conditions should improve.
    Last edited by lonestar29; 07-20-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Congratulations on the win to Shawn and to Don and Colin's podium finishes.

My apologies to Christopher Snow for ending his race (and mine) on lap nine. I had had an incident and was returning to the track when I saw him coming up the hill toward me at West Bend. I was already under motion and in the line so I figured it best to clear the racing line and continue across the track until he got by. He might have thought I was going to stop where I was (or was stopped) and chose to go to his right to avoid me. Unfortunately by the time he got there I had already laid claim to that piece of property and ka-blooey, t-bone city, end of race. I was really having a good time up to that point. So, again Chris, I'm sorry.....just glad it wasn't a points race.
    No worries, Tom. Nice to know who I hit though.

You made the right choice to keep going across the track once you had started, and ordinarily I'd have kept to the race-line and passed behind you. But what you can't have known is that I had crashed heavily coming onto the backstraight just a few corners before and had damaged my steering. I could keep it straight by steering hard left...and could certainly turn to the right...but really wasn't able to pass behind you even if I'd tried. I was hustling too quick too to try to get through the last corner apex and to the pits before the leaders arrived. End result: Both of us out.

Just racin', and you'll hear no complaints from me about it (thx for the PM too).