Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monza Post-Race

Default Monza Post-Race

Last edited by Z_Stig; 07-12-2018 at 12:05 AM.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

Last edited by Z_Stig; 07-12-2018 at 12:10 AM.

Didn’t have my head in it last night.

Quali was ok.

First race, got off to a good start and was having a fun battle with Drew until he took the 2nd chicane a bit wrong and then I kept a second or so gap to take the win.

Got a sort of good start to the second race, I was going to do an overtaking maneuver into the first chicane when I remembered about the orange zone and backed out. I wouldn’t have taken anyone out but just took it a bit easier. A couple of people fell off the curcuit which left me catching Liam and Drew. Every time I got close enough to start to challenge something would happen to drop me back. First time, Paul came out of the pits and we touched at the first chicane. I had to take my pit stop earlier than I wanted to repair a little damage, then when I came out Rick was coming down the main straight and we seemed to have a battle to see who could come to a stop to let the other through the chicane first. Second time was at the end I had closed up to Liam with a couple of laps left when the front 3 P1 cars came up to lap us, which lost me a couple seconds letting them through so I just coasted it home into 3rd..

Congrats podiums and everyone who turns up.

Points are updated with drops from our double races. Drop for the single race format will be done at the end of the season. (I'll actually miss Le Mans, but I'll be able to update the points in a timely manner).

Didn't do much practice for this race; been trying to tame the Stallion at Spa instead and unfortunately was not able to attend the Sunday practice David had set up.

Did run about a dozen solo laps to make sure I remember where I was and what I was doing. Dug up a setup from a season ago that was bizarre (negative toe, really low caster, disconnected sway bars - I didn't even know that was a thing!) but it was sure dialed in. Was definitely concerned about the Mercedes' lap times, especially after Michael pipped me by something like 2 hundredths in qualy.

First race started well, though, curiously, I think we were green before the Protos were green! Guess it was a good thing I was dialed in on Peter because I usually don't 'race ready' until after the Protos go. I actually had a great start and was able to beat Michael into T1 for third. The rest of my race was trying furiously to catch Peter and Drew's draft. I did manage that after they had a side by side battle for half a lap, but I bobbled Ascari and gave it all back. The following lap Drew had his off and Peter was able to sail off into the ... noon sunrise?

Second race started fine, too. I made another T1 pass and spent the next two or three laps sizing up James. Monza is apparently not an easy place to pass. I finally got a good run out of Ascari, but started braking around 180m instead of 80m because I got lost on the inside of the track. That allowed Drew to get a good run on me out of Parabolica. A lap or two later I closed on James again in Parabolica. I'm not sure how my rate of speed was so much higher going into the corner, but I snuck to the inside thinking I was long gone (because of how fast I got beside James), but I'm not sure I was even in front of him until the braking zone of T1. I was able to stay in Drew's draft as we closed on David and Fred, who had a coming together in T1 the following lap. Nearly drove right through Drew as he braked and I turned to try and avoid the accident. The rest of that stint was simply an exercise in staying in the draft and I was able to keep my gap to Peter.

Shortly after pitting, I lost Drew's draft over a pair of small incidents. One was a Proto who appears to be alongside me going into Ascari and then backed out and the other was a small bobble coming out of the first chicane. I started paying close attention to the relative at this point and could see Peter reeling me in by 3 tenths a lap. This is where I realized I was losing most of my time coming out of the first chicane. Later in the race I started to adjust my line there and I think it was starting to help (though tire wear was killing me through Ascari at this point). Last 5 laps was tense and I could really see Peter closing the gap - I was expecting him to close on me in Ascari on the pentultimate lap and then having to defend through the final lap. Both happy and sad it never got any closer than that (as I understand from his post that traffic slowed him down).

Still, very pleased to bring home some silvers.

Congrats to Drew and Peter for their wins; congrats to Paul for his wins.

I think I'll be switching to the Ferrari at Spa, to get more track time in that car before the 24 hours. See you in Belgium!

Fun times as always (while it lasted). I agree this track is really tough to pass on. I ran along in 4th , exactly where I started in the first race, but was really encouraged that my pace was equal to the leaders. In the 2nd race, I got a GREAT start, and moved up to 2nd on the first lap. About lap 3 I think I was able to get a pass completed on the inside of Fred coming out of the last corner on to the long straight. Was hoping to pull away and settle in from there and see if I could match the pace from the first race. Unforutnately he got a run back on me going down on the inside into the first chicane and we made contact turning in. Massive damage, and a tow, so I just parked it for the night to live another day.

It's all good, see you guys next time.
    actually I will miss next weeks race due to a business trip, but will be back for the next one.

DA

my personal motorsports blog

Just felt the need to drop a note here. I hate committing to a series and not living up to that commitment. I thought the late start would work in my favor with the wife and grand kid heading to bed but Im the one that is shot by 10 pm. Work just beats my ole butt up. And I get up quite early so with the 10 pm start and the lag between the main event just cant do it.

But CMS is the only real place to race with true racers and even though Im usually at the back that is still special. So I'll keep my eyes open for something that comes along going forward hopefully around the 9 pm race start time.

Well, that was interesting. Only 2 GTEs in Race 1 and I lost all sound from the sim to my Rift on the formation lap. Pulled into the pits and reset the sound and off we went. Didn't really matter tho, as I drove alone.

Race 2? Only GTE in the field and I ran alone. Personal victories? Only driver without incident in Race 2 (heck yes) and I shorted my fuel during the pit stop but managed to save enough fuel to stretch it a lap and finish without a second stop.

Congrats to Peter with a 1st and 3rd and to the P1s for putting on a fantastic second race.

And congrats to all of you drivers who show up on a consistent basis!
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

Standings now with correct drop races!

Quote Originally Posted by davidan View Post
    Fun times as always (while it lasted). I agree this track is really tough to pass on. I ran along in 4th , exactly where I started in the first race, but was really encouraged that my pace was equal to the leaders. In the 2nd race, I got a GREAT start, and moved up to 2nd on the first lap. About lap 3 I think I was able to get a pass completed on the inside of Fred coming out of the last corner on to the long straight. Was hoping to pull away and settle in from there and see if I could match the pace from the first race. Unforutnately he got a run back on me going down on the inside into the first chicane and we made contact turning in. Massive damage, and a tow, so I just parked it for the night to live another day.

It's all good, see you guys next time.
    actually I will miss next weeks race due to a business trip, but will be back for the next one.

DA
    You did have awesome pace David! Don't forget there is one Fast repair available per race

9. Default

That was a pretty up and down couple of races.

In the qualifying race I qualified pole and got a small lead, but I rear ended Fred in Parabolica and put him into the wall. Completely my fault and a totally stupid move. Unfortunately Robert did something similar a little later on....Very sorry you got beat up by the protos there Fred.

The main race was quite interesting at the end there. I started in the back and couldn't get around Rick or Jay in the first lap. I saw Robert going off and assumed the teammates had contacted again, unfortunately I was incorrect. Once I got around Rick and Jay I was able to get by James for the lead. I actually can't recall passing him....odd.
    I pulled out a bit of a gap, and then promptly tried to throw everything away by smashing the first Ascari kerb, forcing a pit, then not taking my fast repair since it was unchecked from the race start. Leaving the pits I had light contact with Pete in the first chicane. Sorry about that Pete, I was distracted by trying to click pit buttons and see where the other protos were.

I had to pit again to fix the damage, and when I exited I saw James 25 seconds ahead, and Robert 15 seconds ahead. I pushed as hard as I could and saw it would be close for second coming to the last few laps. If I remember correctly, with two laps to go I was roughly 3 seconds behind Robert, but James was suddenly slowing down ahead! The gap to the leader was in single digits now! That lap I got closer to Robert, and as we came to the white flag, I got a run on Robert, while James was damaged on the straight at the same time. I was able to use the boost to boost past Robert and James, and brought it to the checker with Robert right on my tail. Very fun race guys!

GT3 looked like a good race as well!

Thanks to those who keep participating. Bummer to see a single GTE in the feature race...
    ~Paul Darling
    CMS iRacing League #155