Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sportscar Trophy - Road America Post Race

Default Sportscar Trophy - Road America Post Race

Last edited by Z_Stig; 05-23-2018 at 11:50 PM.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

Okay, I'll go first.

Racing the GTE class
    Quali Race: Again, not a great qualifier to start so it was hard for me to break into the 2:01's although the car had much pace to do so and even into the low 2:01's if necessary but I was just making too many little mistakes. For the 15 minute race, started P3 behind Jimmy and Jason (The JJ's band ). Had great pace to stick with them when all of a sudden, my CPU decided to overheat and my PC just went into thermal shutdown. Cooed it off and blew some air onto the components and got back in for race 2. Bummer!!

Feature Race: As I was disco'd in race 1, that meant I had to lead the field for race 2. Like qualifying, I'm not very good at leading races. The few races I have won have come from positions further back but never from the pole so it was no surprise that I would be passed by the JJ's band and settle into the follower role. Again, had enough pace to keep the Puffin boys within less than two seconds. That is until these little mistakes started creeping up again. (What can I say, I'm pushing 50 years and 10 PM is like bed time for me.) HAHAHA!

Enter the pit cycles, I see Jimmy duck in first and Jason stayed out so I stayed out. Was already planning to pit the next lap anyways. Came in and ended up taking 2.5 gallons too many to finish the race so that cost me time in the pits. Came out behind Jimmy with Jason nowhere to be seen on the relative screen until a few laps later. I guess Jimmy must have had an off with about 2 laps to go because the gap closed quickly and I was within 2 seconds of his rear bumper so I figured "let's put some pressure and see what comes of it". That is until Robert had his spin going into turn 5 where we had to come to a complete stop in order to avoid a wreck. So Jimmy got away from me.

Overall a very satisfying night of racing with decent results and great driving on everyone's part. Having the LMP's and GT3's in the mix certainly keeps you alert and attentive to your surroundings. everyone did a fine job last night. I only wish that we would have higher participation numbers. I'm confident we'll get there.

3. Default

Guess I’ll just start with Qualy. Didn’t get a good lap in, I left half a second on the table. From earlier practice sessions to tonight, I received a much improved setup that cut my lap times by a half second. I thought I was still a ways off Justin’s pace though. So no I was not sandbagging, I obtained a new setup that was much much better than before.

Qualifying Race: In the start of the qualifying race, Victor made contact with Justin in the carousel, which caused them both damage. Despite some sloppy driving from me and a few slight offs under braking, I was eventually able to pull away from their damaged cars and take the QR win.

Main Race: Starting from the Back was interesting. I worked my way up and kept the car clean. The different energy deployments are still crazy when everyone is using it at different points.
    I ended up behind Justin at the end of it. When we went through the GTs the first time it was very hairy, but a lot of fun. We went three wide with an Audi GT3 heading to turn 2 at one point.
    I was able to keep pace with him and stay within 1.5 seconds coming to the pit stops. I took a full tank but still ended up coming out ahead of Justin after the fuel stops. I had saved some fuel, but I think the Audi has a pit stop advantage with the smaller tank.
    Leaving now the pits I had a 3 second lead. I was pushing my hardest to keep the gap, but the small lead vanished with traffic. I got held up really badly when a GTE was passing a GT3, and then Justin was right on my tail. On the last lap, Justin boosted by on the second straight, and I was planning on saving for the final corner. When we exited the final corner for the last time, I deployed as intended and got a massive run. Unfortunately with a GT3 car on the left side, Justin defended well, and I did not make the right moves to come alongside. I ended up having to check up to prevent rear ending him, and lost the race by a tenth of a second. Definitely a bummer, but it was a fun race where we were locked together almost the home time.

Hopefully we can get the race 1 participation back next week. Look at the schedule people!
    Last edited by arandomnoob; 05-24-2018 at 07:20 AM.
    ~Paul Darling
    CMS iRacing League #155

The theme of last night for me was disappointment.

For the last two weeks I've been about 3 tenths off Jason's times. Practice for Round 2 was no different, until last night. Somehow I managed a new PB @ 2:00.6 and managed to take an earned, non AM, pole position for the first time ever @ CMS. Great news, right?! Sure!

Fast forward to the Qual Race:

I get a good start with Jason on my tail, pulling about a second gap to Ken and Scott. Realizing their pace was going to at least match ours, Jason and I decided to run team orders and maintain a lead over the hard charging Ferrari's. We got the go ahead to dice it up at the 5 minute mark, and I focused on making good exits where I knew Jason had been closing on me and try to stave off the long straight draft run he had been getting. GOing into the last lap with the lead, I lapsed for half a second, which also happened to be the entry into T1 - losing about 3 tenths and giving Jason a hole to shoot for. It still feels bad man... Stupid mistake cost me a win that would still fit on one hand at CMS. Still a second place and another Puffin 1-2, so bitter sweet to say the least.

Main Event:

We lost a GTE entry and only started with 4 cars. Because of an odd number of LMP1's I was able to start on the inside of row 2 behind Ken and Sam, expecting a battle to try and overtake. Unfortunately, Sam clipped the grass on the exit of T1 and nosed the wall slightly. I was looking forward to a great back and forth, Sam, sorry it happened that way. Jason got a good run out of 3 and almost passed me going into 5. I made a snarky comment over the radio about Verstappen, something to the effect of, "Blah Blah Blah don't pass me on lap one, I'll look bad, blah blah blah". He heeded my whining and settled back for a few laps until we were able to put enough pressure on Ken to get around a few laps later.

(Side note, Ken. You're right there man, great pace and definitely a presence.)

Once we were back in the top spots, we took turns leading when a run presented itself until pit time. I went with my normal pit strategy and Jason took max fuel for run one, so I pitted before everyone else. My calculation for Race 2 included the extra fuelI added for a full parade lap in Race 1, so I ended up with about 4 laps too much... When Ken pit, I passed him again on exit, giving myself about 3 seconds up on him. I was able to focus and pull another 2 seconds or so when I noticed I was only a few seconds behind Jason again, and slowly gaining because of traffic. Here's my chance!

I pushed and pushed on my worn tires and was seeing small, but incremental, gains on Jason for whatever reason and was going to sniff out a draft by race end. I have a shot at redemption! With only 5 minutes left, going into the last section, the LMP1s came through again and I put my left tires in the grass on entry. That was all she wrote for my chance at a win. I lost the three seconds I spent so much energy gaining, and Ken was all of a sudden in my mirror salivating. "You did it again you big stupid!!"

I was able to kick myself in the ass hard enough to stay in second, but man... I'm still pissed at the situation. I shouldah been a contendah...

After the race Morgan Freeman stopped by and through melodic vocals calmed me down.

2016 Season 2 CMS iRacing AM Champion
    2018 Inaugural CMS/TXL Lone Star Sports Car Series Champion

I was losing 1.5 seconds a lap to the 4th place car in GTE. I'm not going to just drive around for the sake of driving around so I parked it after 3 laps.

I'm switching the GT3 Audi for the next race - maybe that will work out better.

So after hating the Ford at the Glen, Jimmy fell in love with it at Road America

I could not for whatever reason find the one lap speed I needed to take pole; but with Jimmy on pole and me second, things were looking good for the race. Maybe I was slower because I was trying to stream this race

Before the race started, I bumped the tire pressures up a couple clicks and that seemed to help with the problems I was having. Ken did a great job of keeping us honest, so we couldn't really battle and risk the lead. That would have been a very exciting final 5 minutes if his PC hadn't decided to go into meltdown mode on him. I had been sizing Jimmy up and kept getting great runs out of the last corner, but Jimmy hung tough until the final lap. He got loose out of 1, went right to defend and I went left and managed to brake a little deeper and carry the speed through 3.

For race 2, we had fun battling Ken again and thankfully his computer let him race this time. When we did work our way by, Jimmy and I traded spots a couple of times. Once he pitted, I had clear track and tried to make the most of it. I only needed about 9 minutes worth of fuel, which worked out to only 5.9 seconds in the pits. Me and Jimmy both had some minor offs towards the end, so it was a pretty anti-climatic finish, but another 1-2 finish for Puffin.

Make sure you guys check out the LMP1 finish in race 2 - that was an awesome race to watch!

Also, you can watch my perspective of both races at my terrible attempt of a stream - I had to turn graphics and quality down to get good frame rates in VR.

Last edited by Z_Stig; 05-24-2018 at 11:11 AM.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat77 View Post
    I was losing 1.5 seconds a lap to the 4th place car in GTE. I'm not going to just drive around for the sake of driving around so I parked it after 3 laps.

I'm switching the GT3 Audi for the next race - maybe that will work out better.
    I'm hoping the rest of the GTE field comes back...It's not as fun when it's only 4 or 5 cars around.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin

Quote Originally Posted by Z_Stig View Post
    I'm hoping the rest of the GTE field comes back...It's not as fun when it's only 4 or 5 cars around.
    I understand how you feel and apologize for bailing on you like this, but I'm clearly not up to the challenge and fit better with the other AM class drivers in GT3.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat77 View Post
    I understand how you feel and apologize for bailing on you like this, but I'm clearly not up to the challenge and fit better with the other AM class drivers in GT3.
    Oh no Paul, that wasn't directed at you. It's just that we have something like 12 or 13 signed up for GTE but only 5 show up. It throws off the balance of the class. I completely understand you switching to GT3.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin

As I stated prior to the race I just couldn't jump in and drive my sim car another hour and more. Talk about 50..... I'm another 10 up on that and I was wasted from that drive to Syracuse and back. Just now coming around. The good news is that I have made it clear to my work crew that if they screw up the environment on a job site on a Wed. ever again they are all fired! My supervisor walked over to me before I left the site and said to me.....this is all about that racing thing you do isn't it?