• image15c
    • image16c
    image1d1 image2c2 image13c3 image14c4 image15c5 image16c6
  • Headlines RSS Feed

by Published on 04-06-2019 09:22 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. iRacing,
    3. eSports

Another first this week for the Champion Motorsports esports iRacing Endurance team as for the first time in team history we would enter a total of four cars in a race. For this week's VRS GT3 Series Enduro at Sebring we had our Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Omega Ferrari GT3 cars all entered. What's even better news is that they would all finish the race. Led by another strong performance from the Omega car, in 11th place overall and a great first drive by Mike Sargent, and one of James Andrew's stronger runs of the year. The Omega car was steady and solid from the drop of the green flag, and it showed with a great finish.

Pictured Above James Andrew drives the CMS Omega Ferrari GT3 to another very solid finish in back-to-back weeks!

Unfortunately a single early race accident collected all three of the other cars, giving them all setbacks of various degrees. Luckily it was somewhat minor for the Beta Team driven by Paul Hamilton and Jay Dargert and they would recover to a solid top 15 finish with 14th overall. It was a bit harder for the newly driven Gamma team in the cars first race. Matthew Overton behind the wheel and paired up with Doug Ritter. They would take a bit more damage, but also recover well for a 16th place overall finish.

The Alpha team was not so lucky as they took the brunt of the damage in the accident caused by another car, and would have to spend 30 minutes on pit road for major repairs. To make things even more dramatic for the Alpha car there was a technical issue and Mike Tyler was unable to get in in the car properly to take over driving duties from David Anderson. However, quickly turning a negative into a positive the CMS Community rallied in a big way. After seeing a cry for help and emergency post Larry Ford jumped in and got in the car for CMS and joined David so that the car could continue and be officially scored. Dropping all the way back at one point to the last place, David and Larry overcame the odds, and drove the car back up to a 23rd place finish and salvaged some critical championship points for the Alpha car.

Four weeks in the Alpha car now finds itself a solid top 25 in overall points of over 300 teams, with the Beta Car in the top 40 and the Omega car quickly gaining after two solid finishes in back to back weeks.

Next up the team will head out West to California and Laguna Seca next weekend for round 5!
    by Published on 03-31-2019 06:36 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. eSports

We are very excited to announce another great weekend of endurance racing and solid results from the cmsracing.com esports iRacing Team! This week we were in The United States for the first time this season and we would be running at the famed Road Atlanta, home of the Petit Lemans. This was would be an all GT3 field, and for the first time in the season our Alpha car would qualify for top split. With our Omega and Beta cars running in the 2nd split.

Daniel Johnson and Doug Ritter managed to drive the Alpha car to a very solid top 20 finish, coming in 17th overall in the top split and gaining over 100 Championship points. The effort moved the Alpha car into a solid top 20 in the season standings as well which is very impressive three races in.

The bigger story was yet another top 10 to make us have at least one of our team cars in the top 10 in every race so far this season. This time the finish would come at the hands of JT Tami and Mike Tyler. JT Drove a beautiful race and Mike made his season debut and contributed solid runs for the team as well to have a great start to his season!

Here is a screenshot of the Omega and Beta cars at Road Atlanta!

Congrats to the team! This week we welcome another new team member, Mike Sargent and we are considering launching a 4th car into the team stable, which will be named cmsracing.com Gamma. We are still welcoming any cms member in good standing to join us.

This weekend's race will be at Sebring on Sunday 4/7. Come join us on the official cms discord server and get involved with the team! It's great stuff!
    by Published on 03-30-2019 07:06 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Members

It's official! I know have my competition racing license! I went to VIR last Friday for competition school with the possibility of racing on Saturday and Sunday if I passed. It took me almost a year of driving with instructors and proving myself in "HPDE" days before I got approved for comp school. Comp school was an absolutely grueling day of classroom and track time. In the classroom we went over race craft and some more advanced passing and driving techniques. On the track we practiced starts, side by side racing, and flag drills. We would do about 40 minute sessions on the track. The day lasted from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm with hardly a break. The day ended with an egress test and a 30 minute written exam. I'm proud to say, I passed! I was so absolutely exhausted, I fell asleep at 8:00 that night.

Now I was ready to race! They give you a provisional license until you complete four races incident free. That means no wrecking anyone, and no missing flags like passing under local yellow. So this made my goal clear, no wrecking people and pay attention to flags and I would consider it a successful weekend. Saturday we had a warm up session, qualifying, and a race. I managed to take 9th in qualifying out of 18 cars which I was thrilled with! We had a standing start for the race. I've done enough sim racing to know the perils of T1 so I backed way off and let the madness ensue in front of me while I tried to make it through cleanly. I made up a couple of the places I lost in the first turn before I settled into a battle for 9th with Carter Hunt. The most exciting part of my race starts around 10:41 in the video below. That's when a car got by me into Oak Tree and then we bump drafted down the back straight. I tried to follow him through on Carter but didn't quite make it. At the end of the race I managed to get Carter at the line by .05 seconds! It was an epic race! Unfortunately my in-car camera got loose on it's mount so I didn't get video of the end of the race.

Sunday was a less exciting affair. I qualified 10th and finished 11th which involved some caution laps and a lot of open track in front of me. It was an amazing weekend and I'm super pumped to be officially racing wheel to wheel! My sim experience has helped me so much as I've gone through this process. The situational awareness, knowing what to look out for, and just being comfortable in the car are all things I attribute to sim racing. I think the most difficult thing for me so far in the transition to real racing is braking. Sim racing doesn't quite capture the violence of slowing a car down as fast as possible. Also, I'm much more aware of my mortality when I'm trying to wait until the last moment possible to brake!

I've got a several more races planned this year including Road Atlanta, Summit Point, Carolina Motorsport Park, and Roebling Road. It's going to be awesome!

by Published on 03-28-2019 09:08 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Rallying

My stable rally..
    Drove leg1 today in my beatiful Yaris WRC. Early scare at SS1Hondaberria where I was to hot into a bend midway and killed a spectator with the big rear spoiler. half minute lost. After that it was safe and no drama..
    Amazing battle with Wolfgang
    Replay from SS2 sorica

Results leg1 in box
    by Published on 03-25-2019 02:02 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. iRacing,
    3. eSports

The Champion Motorports e-sports iRacing Endurance Team has built upon a great finish and team victory at Lemans, with three follow-up top 10 finishes, including a podium at Bathurst Mt. Panorama in round two of the VRS 2019 GT3 Endurance Series.

Pictured Above the Blue CMS Beta car and White and Orange Omega car in route to top 5's at Bathurst

All three cars come back from off the Mountain this week with incredible early season results to continue building momentum. David Anderson and Daniel Johnson would finish in 9th overall in the Alpha Car and putting the Alpha Car in the top 25 points overall in the process.

James Andrew, Doug Ritter, and Matthew Overton drove the Omega car in it's first race of the season to a 5th place overall in the Sunday session which was really exciting to see this car in the race and doing so well it's first time out.

The highlight of the weekend was Paul Hamilton and JT Tami putting a team high 3rd place into the Beta car in the Sunday Session. Paul and JT drove beautifully and worked brilliantly together for a great finish.

No rest for the wicked as we are now getting ready for Round 3 at Road Atlanta this coming weekend on March 30th! More information coming soon as the team heads to the United States for the first time this year, to see how we can do on the home soil for the majority of the team.
    by Published on 03-17-2019 04:04 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. iRacing

CMS-TXL Sports Car Series Power Rankings
    2019 S1 - 7 of 9 Races Completed

After the twilight race at Mid-Ohio, there's been some movement in the Power Rankings...and while provisionals can hurt, this list is more about exceptional weeks and seasons, and giving credit where it's due.

So now, I give to you, the updated Power Rankings!! Let the debates begin!!

GTE-Pro Class

At Mid-Ohio, the turnout for this class was low for the second race in a row, but that didn't prevent a duel to the checkers up front, and a change in the rankings:

1. Leif Peterson - Holding onto the top spot, Leif had a second place finish, but continues to finish on the podium. With a second place finish, his average finish this season is now 2.7!! He has a firm hold at the top of the points standings as well, but it's not over yet!

2. Clark Archer - With another win at Mid-Ohio, his third of the season, Clark moves up into second in the rankings this week. With his average finish now a class best 2.5, missing one race has hurt his chances for taking the championship. However, there's racing left on the schedule, and the title hasn't been decided yet!

3. Jason Lundy - With his third podium finish in a row this past week, Jason has been moving up the points week after week, which many of us are not surprised to see. Don't be surprised to see Jason snag a win before this season is over.

GT3-Gents Class

Like the Pro Class, this division saw a dramatic decrease in entrants at Mid-Ohio, but you can bet on seeing that number climb when we get to Watkins Glen this week. This division has averaged 8.4 drivers per start so far this season.

1. Paul Hamilton - Because of yet another podium finish at Mid-Ohio (his 6th out of 7 races this season!), Paul hangs on to the top spot in our rankings and in the points. With two races left, he almost has the points title in hand, and just needs to keep doing what he has done all season...be consistent.

2. Jay Dargert - Taking the win at Mid-Ohio, Jay moves up to second in our Power Rankings this week, and his overall average finish for the season is 4.8, with two wins and three podiums out of 5 races he has started. I'll make the prediction now, Mr. Dargert will take the win at Watkins Glen this week based on his past record there!

3. Randy Drumhiller - Randy continues to improve, and moves up a spot in the Power Rankings this week, primarily from his consistency. Starting the season with back to back podiums, Randy has been just off the bottom step in his other four races, and will be tough at the Glen!

4. Anthony James - Despite missing this week's race, AJ's season and consistency, particularly his 3-race win streak of recent, keeps him firmly cemented in the Top 5.

5. Scott Burke - With a second place finish at Mid-Ohio, and a season average finish of 2.75 in 4 races (Taking the win in the season opener at Daytona!), Scott's a front-runner whose recent podiums pulled him into the Power Rankings this week.

GTE-AM Class

Continuing to be the largest class starting the race each week, this division is averaging just over 14 drivers starting each week. That means a bad night hurts just a little more, and a good night feels great.

1. Kris Hudson - After a tough night at Mid-Ohio, where an ill-handling car took him off track and eventually to a 6th place finish, Kris has seen his points lead over Peter close a little, and his season average finish fall to 3.0

2. Drew Lidkea - New to the Power Rankings this week, Drew took his first win of the season at Mid-Ohio and moved up in the points standings to 3rd, even after missing the season opening race at Daytona, and tough outings at Road America and Sebring. But with a win and two second place finishes this season, Drew has proven to be a front runner.

3. Peter Hebron - After starting up front, Peter brought his ride home in second place for yet another podium this season. His average finish is now 4.6, but he has found consistency as of late and be out front at Watkins Glen. Peter brings experience each week, and with the chase for the Championship far from over I would expect to see him out front again.

4. Dion Smith - Each week, Dion is always at the top of the speed chart, but hasn't had the luck that goes with racing at times. His third place finish at Mid-Ohio was his second podium of the season, and is one of six drivers to make all 7 races so far this season. Hopefully the bad luck is gone, which is bad news for the rest of the division.

5. Joey Tungale - After back to back podiums in previous events, Joey finished inside the Top 10 at Mid-Ohio on a night that was tough for all. His recent consistency has kept him inside the Top 5 of the Power Rankings this week, and is yet another with the speed to finish on the podium each race.

Usually I stop at the Top 5, but I want to note 6-10 this week for the AM class:

6. Jay Freels - I would expect Jay to rebound at the familiar Watkins Glen circuit this week, and put this past week's race in the mirror.

7. Larry Ford - With his Top 5 finish in class at Mid-Ohio, Larry has averaged a finishing position of 6.7 in six races this season.

8. David Anderson - Another driver who has made all 7 races this season, his racecraft and patience moves him up through the field nearly every race!

9. David Slee - Dave is one of out long time members that shows up ready to race every week, and has had an up and down season overall.

10. Samuel Scott - With a win and a 3 podiums out of 5 races this season, Sam is another driver that has the speed to take another win.
    by Published on 03-16-2019 07:44 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. iRacing,
    3. eSports

Congratulations to the CMS Endurance iRacing Team and the Alpha Car Driven by Drivers Paul Hamilton and Daniel Johnson for their win at Lemans in the opening round of the 2019 Season 2 iRacing VRS GT3 Endurance Series. A phenomenal result by the team and great start to the upcoming 12 week season. The newly formed 2019 roster for the Endurance Team at CMS couldn't have gotten off to a better start if they had tried with this result and it has left the entire team excited and really eager to get back out and go again at Round 2 Bathurst next weekend.

Daniel Johnson (above) takes the Checkered Flag and historic win at Lemans for Champion Motorsports

For Lemans the team would enter two cars. the Alpha car driven by Hamilton and Johnson. As well the second entry would be a sister Ferrari GT3, named the Beta car, driven by Matthew Overton, James Andrew, and David Anderson. The cars would be destined to be together for much of if not the full first hour of the race. Qualifying 15th and 16th on the grid, both Matthew Overton and Paul Hamilton drove excellent first stints to put the team in great position at the first round of pits stops. Matthew would lead most of the way, with Paul in close pursuit the two drivers working through traffic very well together. At pit stops they were as high as 12th place in the 40 car grid.

Handing over to Daniel Johnson in the Alpha Car and James Andrew in the Beta car would setup second stints. Unfortunately for James Andrew he would be involved in an accident exiting the Porsche curves a few laps into his stint. This would require about 8.5 minutes of repairs on pit road and drop the Beta car out of contention but still running for what would hopefully be a run at a top 20.

Daniel Johnson however in the Alpha car began his stint by starting to click off faster and faster laps, each time eclipsing a best and taking PB in the session. Nearing the end of Daniel's first stint he had moved the car into the top 5 and it was apparent we would be competing for the win.

Late in the race James Andrew would hand the Beta car off to David Anderson for a final stint. Unfortunately for David and the team after climbing back to 19th overall the Beta Car's Ferrari Powered Engine would expire on the front stretch, ending our race about 10 minutes before the finish.

the CMS Beta Team Car Pictured Above at Lemans in Race one Finishing 21 of 40

On the bright side as we got to about that same point, Daniel Johnson had successfully moved into the lead and retained the lead after a late splash and go pitstop. Coming back on to the track with a comfortable lead Daniel would cruise home to a victory for the team, our first, and a phenomenal result. The second car would finish in 21st overall. The team leaves Lemans extremely excited about our potential and ready to tackle Bathurst on Saturday March 23rd.

We are still accepting sign-ups and participants for this series. If you would like to drive, spot, test, or work in team management with the team please let us know.

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Champion Motorsports

We've been providing computer-based quality sim racing for our membership for nearly two decades.

Our various iRacing, Assetto Corsa, Automobilista, and rFactor 2 leagues are "serious fun" in a friendly atmosphere. We also host rallying special events in Richard Burns Rally and Dirt Rally.

While our events are competitive, we welcome all sim racing drivers from beginners to the seasoned professional. No matter what your level of experience we have events throughout the week to match your sim racing interests.

To get started, register for an account by clicking here.