CMS races rFactor 2 on Saturdays with an on-going league, the Virtual World Sportscar Championship (VWSC). VWSC emulates the mixed class racing popularized by organizations like WEC & IMSA.
CMS is back racing with rFactor 2 on Saturdays with modern and historic sportscar racing!
VWSC 2023 Series
1923 was the first 24 Hours of Le Mans and 100 years later the world of endurance racing is treated to another motorsport evolution: The dawn of Hypercars.
The specifications for this new breed of prototypes begin in 2018 and brought the two powerhouses of FIA/ACO and IMSA together on what they called Convergence. With this framework, the cars of their top classes would need very little change to be compatible with their respective series. After many ups and downs in the process, the WEC Hypercar class (LMH spec – Le Mans Hypercar) premiered in 2021, replacing LMP1. With only two manufactures fielding properly homologated cars, the first two years were mostly a dry run for things to come.
2023, IMSA would see 4 manufacturers emerge to start at Daytona under the GTP class (Grand Touring Prototype with LMDh spec – Le Mans Daytona hybrid). WEC would also expand to 4 makes in LMH spec for a total of 8 new Hypercars for the year. This will be the first time in a century that this many manufacturers will be eligible for top class honours at Le Mans; a fitting tribute to the centennial running of the Greatest Race.
Thanks to the tireless work of Storm Gang Simulation and their many partners, we can now experience this incredibly thrilling occasion in simulation. We’d like to thank our partners (listed below) and especially our patrons who have supported us. This work is all because of you.
The mod will premiere at Champion Motorsports and feature in two championships: North American Racing Series (NARS – Regional Americas) and Virtual World Sportscar Championship (VWSC – International).
SGS WSC ‘23 Mod – connect to our Discord server for more information!
Corvette C8.R GTE
We will use following layouts. You must own the respective track for each race to connect to the server.
Popular Vote Track
Jan 7 – 60 Minutes TEST RACE
Daytona International Speedway Road Course
January 21 – 2.4 Hours of Daytona (USA) (10x time compression)
Algarve International Circuit
February 11 – 60 Minutes Portimao (Portugal)
SGS in-house track
Sebring International Raceway
March 11 – 1.2 Hours of Sebring (USA) (10x time compression)
April 8 – 60 Minutes of Long Beach (USA)
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
April 22 – 60 Minutes of Spa (Belgium)
Circuit de la Sarthe
June 3 – 4.8 Hours of Le Mans (France) (5x time compression) (Driver Swap event)
Watkins Glen International
June 17 – 60 Laps of The Glen (USA)
Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
July 15 – 60 Minutes of Mosport (Canada)
Autodromo Nazionale di Monza
July 22 – 60 Minutes of Monza (Italy)
August 26 – 60 Minutes of Road America (USA)
Fuji International Speedway
September 9 – 60 Minutes of Fuji (Japan)
SGS partner track
Indianapolis Motor Speedway
September 23 – 60 Minutes of Indianapolis (USA)
October 21 – 100 Minutes of Road Atlanta (USA) (10x compression)
Bahrain International Circuit
November 11 – 80 Minutes of Bahrain (Bahrain)
11:30AM US EST|16:30 UTC – Server Reboot/Practice (2 hours)
01:30PM US EST|18:30 UTC – Qualifying (20 mins 10 mins GT|10 mins Hypercar)
01:50PM US EST|18:50 UTC – Drivers’ briefing/Warmup (10 mins)
02:00PM US EST|19:00 UTC – Race
- We will use the latest retail build of rFactor 2.
- Damage setting is 75%.
- Crash Recovery is off. That means your car can fly off the track and land upside down. Drive carefully!
- Driving View is open.
- Auto Clutch is available.
- 2x fuel on all cars.
- Weather will always be live weather conditions.
- Once again there will be Pro and Am individual & team championships.
- There is no pre-registration for the competition. Just show up, drive, and have fun!
- The server’s name will be “CMS VWSC 23 TrackName”.
- The server race password will be given 24 hours prior to race day.
Pro & Am Group Settings
To attempt to minimize frustration among the greatest number of drivers – and candidly sustain as much interest and participation as possible in the series – there are separate groups of drivers based on performance. Drivers are free to choose their class based on their skill level.
The general ruling set to determine if a driver is outqualified for Am class is if his average lap time is better than 99% of the average lap time taken from all laps from all Am drivers during a race. Admins still have the right to reassign a drivers’ class if they are not correctly placed based on special circumstances or drivers’ performance.
The idea is to have close battles and exciting Championships and not people running away from others or struggling to keep up with the lead pack!
Team Racing is BACK!!! The plan is to have Championships for Teams in all classes and have a competitive Championship as we did the years prior with rivalries that last and some that form anew. New for 2023, teams require 2 MINIMUM or 3 MAXIMUM members to be scored for Championship points. If you are unable to form a team (2+ members), you can compete and join as an individual, driver-only entry. Teams must be declared as such:
Team Members (2 with maximum 3 members* – Top 2 score points)
Class (must be same class – i.e LMGT3 both // Hypercar Am both)
Car (must drive the same make car)
IMPORTANT NOTE: To enhance competition team points in a class will not be accumulated until at least 2 teams are registered for the series in that class. Once two teams are formed the team that was having to wait for competition would be awarded half winning points as a bonus start for forming and declaring their team early.
LiveRacers Timing & Scoring
LiveRacers will be used to record the hotlaps and the race.
- We will use the CMS Discord rFactor 2 voice channel for race communications.
- CMS Discord is available at https://discord.com/invite/4ckmjPX
- The voice channel is required, but only to monitor race control during the event. You do not need a microphone if you do not want to speak.
- If you have a microphone, please set it to “push to talk” or voice activation with a threshold that doesn’t allow background noises.
- Chatter during free practice is permitted and encouraged! For qualification and race sessions, rF2 text chat is forbidden and voice communication should be limited to critical notifications, no longer than a sentence.
- Abusive, disruptive and/or profane in-game chat, Discord, or forum post language may lead to that driver receiving a sanction up to and including a ban from CMS.
- Drivers not in the Discord voice channel will be sent 3 text prompts in rFactor 2 text chat to join the CMS Discord server. After the 3rd prompt, they will be removed from the race server by race control until they rejoin with Discord active and monitoring the race channel.
Submitted & Custom Skins
There will be announced updates throughout the season where liveries will be accepted for inclusion in the mod. If you miss those dates and still want to run your livery, custom skin uploading is welcome and encouraged, but please log onto the server a couple of days before to mitigate server load from skin transfers on race day.
CMS General Competition Rules
Penalties can be applied one of 2 ways in the series:
1) rFactor 2 system delegated penalties. All must be served and are not controlled by the live admins. Most times, admins don’t even know rFactor2 has dispensed a penalty!
2) A post-race IRR (Incident Review Request) submitted by the driver for review using the General Competition Rules.
VWSC Supplementary Competition Rules
On circuits that a white line is drawn at the pit road entry or/and exit, crossing this white line to entry or/end exit the pit is prohibited. It is permissible for tires to step on the white line, but crossing the line with one tire completely, it will impose a penalty.
CMS Golden Rule of Racing
Drivers are requested to consider the following if involved in an accident…
If you gain track position through a driving error or contact, consider pulling off track in a safe location and returning the position. Doing so may also reduce or eliminate a post-race penalties by stewards.
Additional Drivers Notes
1) Don’t Press ESC! If you do, your race is over and there is no way for race admins to get you back into the race. Race rejoin is available by ctrl+alt+del killing rF2 or manually disconnecting your internet connection.
2) Important! If it is still early light turn your headlights on before moving out of the garage or rF2 will DQ you! You may also wish to consider using the rF2Headlights plugin which may be found at https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/headlight-controls.63904/ or activating Auto Headlights in your rF2 settings.
3) Open setups, but we encourage sharing and collaboration! CMS has always thrived on healthy competition and individual growth so don’t be afraid to help a fellow member in need.
4) It is strongly advised drivers reboot their computer just before joining the server on race day.
5) Drivers must have a stable and satisfactory connection while on the server. Sustained high ping rates or constant dropouts may be grounds for removal until a proper connection can be maintained. Only Ethernet cable connections (no WiFi) are permitted for VWSC racing events.