Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: rFactor 2 - Tips and tricks

wheeler is offline Steen Nielsen

Default rFactor 2 - Tips and tricks

Post your discoveries here...

Like in rF1 you also have a plr file in rF2 that can be edited to give you access to some settings that cannot be changed in the in-game menues:

You can turn on virtual mirrors in cockpit view
    You can activate "lift on downshift" - Very nice if you are not a historic car buff
    Steen Nielsen (aka. wheeler)

Tom Walkinshaw: "When black goes to green, you are in troubles..."

enamelizer is offline Aaron DeMarre

From ISI staff:

The new tire model REALLY makes proper tire warming important. When you first leave the garage the tires are not up to their operating temperature and thus are quite slippery. Simply "burning rubber" isn't enough--it takes strong laps at racing speed to build up the internal tire temps. Some tires actually take a good 4 to 6 laps to bring them up to proper temperature. Keep this in mind as you are working on a setup--you have to turn a few laps to get a good feel for the changes you've made.

This effect can be compounded when driving on a "green" track. The lack of rubber on the track surface can have a radical effect on how the cars feels. You'll find that as you progress through a weekend and the track continues to "rubber in" you may need to alter your setup to compensate.

On a "green" track with cold tires you'll need to be EXTREMELY cautious until things start to warm up.
    The car is hard to control for the first few laps

Wow, that would explain some of my issues for sure
    MikeyRud likes this.

wheeler is offline Steen Nielsen

If you are experiencing a strong noise/rattle with your controller...

...such as the G25/G27 you can try increasing this value in your Userdata/player controller.ini file (if you saved your own profile you would have to change it there as well):

Steering torque filter="0"

The range is from 0 to 32.

This will filter the FFB effect over a series of frames, which will smooth out the feedback and reduce the rattle. Please note that as you increase this value the FFB may start to feel a bit "spongy" or "numb" and that it will increase latency.

The reason you don't feel/hear this rattle in many other sims is because they by default provide some filtering. By default we do not.

The value you set this to will be down to personal preference. If it feels good to you, and the rattle/noise is acceptable, then go for it. We did some testing locally and came up with some different values.

One of our internal testers felt 4 was good.
    Luc settled on a value of 8. He felt any higher felt to numb for him.
    I personally like 16. I could still feel the car, catch it when it got loose, it didn't affect my lap times at all, and I didn't perceive any latency, neither visually nor in feel. Yes, it did feel more on the numb side, but after a few laps I found I liked it actually.

So, give this a try and see if you can find something acceptable...

Edit: Please note this is not a permanent solution, but hopefully will get you to something acceptable for the time being...

And further discussion here
    MikeyRud likes this.
    Steen Nielsen (aka. wheeler)

Tom Walkinshaw: "When black goes to green, you are in troubles..."

davidan is offline David Anderson

Steen, thanks for the wheel tip, adjusted the torque setting to 8 and much better ... - DA

my personal motorsports blog

KnightKrawler is offline Mitt Wilson

Here is a Few of my Settings for the G27 I would like to share -

[ Force Feedback ]
    Type="1" // Type of force feedback: 0=off 1=wheel 2=joystick 3=rumble/gamepad 4=custom"
    Ignore controllers="0" // Do not use FFB on: 1=controller1, 2=controller2, 4=controller3, 8=controller4 (or add values to ignore multiple controllers, for example 15 ignores all)
    Skip updates="0" // Apparently some drivers can't handle a quick FFB update rate, so use this hack to skip the given number of updates (0=full update rate, 1=half, 2=one-third, 3=one-quarter, etc.)
    Steering effects strength="9000.00000" // -10000 to +10000, applies to all steering effects (torque, resistance, static spring, jolt, etc.)
    Off-road multiplier="0.00000" // Temporary test variable to reduce force feedback strength off-road (0.0 = zero FFB, 1.0 = full FFB)
    Steering torque filter="6" // Number of old samples to use to filter torque from vehicle's steering column (0-32, note that higher values increase effective latency)
    Steering torque per-vehicle mult="1.30000" // Per-vehicle steering column torque multiplier (this is a copy of the .CCH value)
    Steering torque zero-speed mult="0.45000" // Multiplier at zero speed to reduce unwanted oscillation from strong static aligning torque
    Steering torque sensitivity="1.00000" // Sensitivity curve applied to representable torques: 0.0=low 1.0=linear 2.0=high
    Steering torque extrap time="0.01500" // Time in seconds to extrapolate steering torque based on current change (Range: 0.001 to 0.050. To disable, set 'blend' to 0.0)
    Steering torque extrap blend="0.50000" // Higher blends of extrapolated value allows driver to feel torque changes even when actual torque exceeds 'input max' (0.0=disables, 1.0=max)
    Steering resistance type="1" // 0=use damping, 1=use friction
    Steering resistance coefficient="0.10000" // Coefficient to use for steering resistance. Range: -1.0 to 1.0
    Steering resistance saturation="0.10000" // Saturation value to use for steering resistance. Range: 0 - 1.0
    Steering spring coefficient="0.00000" // Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)
    Steering spring saturation="0.10000" // Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)
    Rumble strip magnitude="0.00000" // How strong the canned rumble strip rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.
    Rumble strip wave type="2" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
    Rumble strip pull factor="1.00000" // How strongly wheel pulls right/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.
    Rumble strip update thresh="0.02000" // Amount of change required to update rumble strip effect (0.0 - 1.0)
    Jolt magnitude="1.00000" // How strong jolts from other cars (or walls) are. Suggested Range: -2.0 to 2.0.
    Throttle effects strength="9500.00000" // -10000 to +10000, applies to all throttle effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)
    Throttle effects on steer axis="0" // 0 = Throttle effects on throttle axis, 1 = throttle effects on steering axis.
    Throttle spring coefficient="0.10000" // Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)
    Throttle spring saturation="1.00000" // Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)
    Brake effects strength="9500.00000" // -10000 to +10000, applies to all brake effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)
    Brake effects on steer axis="0" // 0 = Brake effects on brake axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.
    Brake spring coefficient="0.30000" // Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)
    Brake spring saturation="1.00000" // Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)
    Clutch effects strength="9500.00000" // -10000 to +10000, applies to all clutch effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)
    Clutch effects on steer axis="0" // 0 = Clutch effects on clutch axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.
    Clutch spring coefficient="0.20000" // Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)
    Clutch spring saturation="1.00000" // Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)
    Gearbox effects strength="9500.00000" // -10000 to +10000, applies to all gearbox effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)
    Gearbox effects on steer axis="0" // 0 = Gearbox effects on gearbox 'axis', 1 = brake effects on steering axis.
    Gearbox spring coefficient="0.00000" // Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)
    Gearbox spring saturation="1.00000" // Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)
    Other spring coefficient="0.20000" // Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0) for any other FFB-capable controllers
    Other spring saturation="1.00000" // Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0) for any other FFB-capable controllers
    Last edited by KnightKrawler; 05-29-2012 at 02:52 AM.
    davidan likes this.

Sloan is offline Member

Default FPS Counter

Hey,

I have found the key which should pull up the frame counter, the " F " key, however I do not see it come up anywhere on the screen, do I need a particualr HUD up on screen? Could it be that with the triple screens it is being cut off from the image somehow? Any ideas?

Thx

Sloan

davidan is offline David Anderson

You have to hit the ALT key then F -- so ALT-F and then it will be displayed in the top right hand corner of the screen.

my personal motorsports blog

Sloan is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by davidan View Post
    You have to hit the ALT key then F -- so ALT-F and then it will be displayed in the top right hand corner of the screen.

Face....Palm

Cool

Thx

Wayne Fitzgerald is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
    Post your discoveries here...

Like in rF1 you also have a plr file in rF2 that can be edited to give you access to some settings that cannot be changed in the in-game menues:

You can turn on virtual mirrors in cockpit view
    You can activate "lift on downshift" - Very nice if you are not a historic car buff
    I can't get the virtual mirrors to show up. I put a 1 on allow virtual mirrors and have tried 1 and 3 on the mirror line.

Also, where is this "lift on downshift" thing and what does it do?
    Angels are blessed with the gift of flight because they take themselves lightly.

Sloan is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fitzgerald View Post
    I can't get the virtual mirrors to show up. I put a 1 on allow virtual mirrors and have tried 1 and 3 on the mirror line.

Also, where is this "lift on downshift" thing and what does it do?
    If it helps... I can cycle through the mirrors using the "3" key. I suspect "lift on downshift" is "autoblip" but I dont know where that control is...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast