Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: FFB adjustment

Bill Brehm is offline Retired

Default FFB adjustment

Yesterday I set out on a mission to see if there is some kind of trick to making the tires last. Not so much a trick, but maybe some do's and don'ts. While looking I came upon this ISI thread on FFB that really made a difference in how my wheel works. I know a lot of you are constantly on the ISI forum and this is old news, but it was new to me so maybe it will be useful to someone else as well.

Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - Crucial for FFB users!

I installed the plugin mentioned in the above link and found I was running almost 100% FFB all of the time. Funny thing was I thought it felt pretty good. When I cranked it down what a difference. I could now feel small bumps in the road, but the best improvement was in cornering. I can now feel when the grip is good and when it is fading, where as before it was more like - "Am I still turning or going straight".

In any case I hope some will find it useful. Now back to the elusive tire saving trick search.

The short story is to drop the plugin into the "plugins" folder in the game. It shows in the upper left corner of your display. The yellow bar is your force feedback. Just keep it out of the red by adjusting the "Car - Specific Multiplier" on the game settings display. It should be less than 1.0

Edit: Here is a link to the original creator of the plugin. You can get the latest, and archived versions.

[REL] rF2 Pedal Overlay Plugin
    Last edited by Bill Brehm; 08-18-2014 at 10:01 AM.
    “Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning how to dance in the rain.”

Scott Beck is offline Rothmans Racing

Oh yeah, I have that plugin and it really made a huge difference in my FFB feel. I have my steering torque minimum set to 0.03000. What a difference!
    Scott Beck
    Rothmans Racing
    MNRL
    NARS
    GBR

Hoogs is offline Christien Hoogveld

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brehm View Post
    Yesterday I set out on a mission to see if there is some kind of trick to making the tires last. Not so much a trick, but maybe some do's and don'ts. While looking I came upon this ISI thread on FFB that really made a difference in how my wheel works. I know a lot of you are constantly on the ISI forum and this is old news, but it was new to me so maybe it will be useful to someone else as well.

Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - Crucial for FFB users!

I installed the plugin mentioned in the above link and found I was running almost 100% FFB all of the time. Funny thing was I thought it felt pretty good. When I cranked it down what a difference. I could now feel small bumps in the road, but the best improvement was in cornering. I can now feel when the grip is good and when it is fading, where as before it was more like - "Am I still turning or going straight".

In any case I hope some will find it useful. Now back to the elusive tire saving trick search.

The short story is to drop the plugin into the "plugins" folder in the game. It shows in the upper left corner of your display. The yellow bar is your force feedback. Just keep it out of the red by adjusting the "Car - Specific Multiplier" on the game settings display. It should be less than 1.0
    Yup, this applies to all race Sims FFB. After coming to the same realizations I dialed back my FFB and to my amazement the wheel could still kick like a mule but it could also give me all the subtle FFB I had been missing out on.

This is a serious game changer. I'm a firm believer in getting your hardware working to its full potential to facilitate your own full potential.

Things like load cell brake mods, proper FFB, and good GPU FPS all make a difference.

How can you know your limits if your hardware is what's holding you back?
    Luiz De Boni likes this.

davidan is offline David Anderson

making this thread sticky - great reference.
    Luiz De Boni likes this.

my personal motorsports blog

blackcat77 is offline Paul Hamilton

Very interesting. I adjusted my settings until I wasn't clipping any more - and it's amazing how much I was originally - but it felt wimpy. So I turned up the overall effects strength in the Logitech Profiler to 116% and now I have better road feel without getting slammed when I touch a curb. I have my steering torque minimum set to 10% and might go a little higher.

FFB is a black art, but when you get it right, it makes all the difference in the world... All those years I went without it... *sigh*
    Flyer23 likes this.

jerrymcc is offline Jerry McComas

I tried this too. Ended up with mine at about 0.5. Feels good, no shaking the wheel out of my hands.

dihedral is offline John White

Thanks for bringing this up again DrR1pper. I got very excited when I read the details, especially reducing "ffb dead zone". Knowing when and where the clipping happens is certainly important and I know have it set properly. Unfortunately, my results changing the "Steering Torque Minimum" /ffb dead zone haven't resulted in much success. I should say that I use a Logitech DFGT wheel which apparently is known for a large dead zone. I have the percentage changed in the controller ini at .08500 which is just where the wheel will start oscillating and there is no appreciable difference. Has anyone here had any success reducing the dead zone with the DFGT?
    John White

Bill Brehm is offline Retired

Where is this "Steering Torque Minimum" found. I don't have this in my "player" file.

Found it. It's in the Controller ini.
    Last edited by Bill Brehm; 03-29-2014 at 12:15 PM.
    “Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning how to dance in the rain.”

Where is the "plugins" folder?
    Thanks in advance

corsa is offline Eric Elliott

64-bit plugins go into rFactor2\bin64\Plugins and 32-bit plugins go into rFactor2\bin32\Plugins
    Eric Elliott
    Terrapin Racing #224

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast