Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Scott Beck
  • 1 Post By Jason Whited
  • 1 Post By Scott Beck
  • 1 Post By wheeler

Thread: A couple of questions; HUD and Seat Position. Help appreciated.

Jason Whited is offline Senior Community Leader

Default A couple of questions; HUD and Seat Position. Help appreciated.

I've got a few questions maybe someone can help me with.

First, let's discuss the HUD. I'm using the 88 F1 HUD, or whatever it is. It's honestly the only default HUD that is bearable to me, the rest look like an arcade game and/or cover the onboard display from the car (those that center some of the HUD info)...and just generally cover too much real estate on screen.

I like minimal HUD windows...smaller the better, the more out of the way the better.

Anyways, for now I've settled on the F1 HUD.
    One main problem; the chat display and announcements. ...rather than just displaying the last chat message, or the last announcement of someone entering or leaving server, or when I change fuel enrichment, etc etc...it shows me the whole list of them from the entire session. So there's this rather large list that pops up screen left, about mid screen (because the tire info and such is displayed bottom left corner (single monitor setup)....
    This is rather distracting in the heat of a race, trying to sort which is the last message, what is relevant at the time, etc etc.

Can this be altered so that only the last announcement or chat or whatever is the only one displayed, rather than an entire list of them?

I cut out the in car chat...which I semi don't like, but had to since that causes a barrage of messages on screen.
    But I'm still getting the "John Doe has entered the server" messages and whatnot.

So, I can't find anything on this in the json file. Is it in the multiplayer file?

Also, I'm driving Porsche in the NARS series here at CMS.
    I've noted that my seating position is not centered with the steering column. Is there a way to move left/right to center this? I don't run onscreen wheel but it's a bit weird having to adjust the monitor itself to accommodate the offset.
    Is altering that possible? I know I can move forward and backwards in the seat, but I'm talking left/right.

Perhaps someone here can point me to the right files (especially in regards to the questions about the HUD and in car announcements/chat and such....

Scott Beck is offline Rothmans Racing

Have you tried that SHQM hud? It has 4 different layouts. I use B.

Not sure about the seat position thingy.
    Jason Whited likes this.
    Scott Beck
    Rothmans Racing
    MNRL
    NARS
    GBR

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Beck View Post
    Have you tried that SHQM hud? It has 4 different layouts. I use B.

Not sure about the seat position thingy.
    I looked at the layouts last night.
    I couldn't really find a scheme that I like (I want nothing in the center, all things left or right, at the bottom)

Basically, I want the rF1 HUD. Small tact with speedometer just to the right of center, with HUD info screens at bottom right for me to switch between them.
    That way when chat messages and announcements come up they are bottom left corner, not half way up the screen, and then growing each time a new on is added.

Trying to find the line in either json file or multiplayer file that will set it so only the last message shows, not a full list.

Might just sub the SHQM ones and take a deeper look, but from the description and the pics on Steam, not so sure I'll find what I'm looking for.

The heck were they thinking with some of these default HUDs in rF2....? jeez, had better HUDs 20 years ago on PS1 lol

jham is offline Jerry Hamilton

Don't know if this helps but...
    I use the rF2 UI. It has the HUD on the lower right. You scroll through the screens to see the displays. It has a goofy gearshift/rpm display on the lower left that I ignore (can't figure out how to make it go away). I use the car instrument panel. The car track position dots are in a display at the top center of the screen. Simple and doesn't get in the way.

I also, sometimes, use the rF2 Trackmap as well. You can turn it on and off and move the displays around the screen, re-size, and change transparency. You can turn the trackmap off & any of the displays off as well.
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco

Quote Originally Posted by jham View Post
    Don't know if this helps but...
    I use the rF2 UI. It has the HUD on the lower right. You scroll through the screens to see the displays. It has a goofy gearshift/rpm display on the lower left that I ignore (can't figure out how to make it go away). I use the car instrument panel. The car track position dots are in a display at the top center of the screen. Simple and doesn't get in the way.

I also, sometimes, use the rF2 Trackmap as well. You can turn it on and off and move the displays around the screen, re-size, and change transparency. You can turn the trackmap off & any of the displays off as well.
    I think one of the number keys will turn it on/off. Thinking it's 5 (the numbers above the letters, not the numbers pad) ...I think.

But, I sometimes glance at that (and is one reason I prefer it over on the right like the rF1 one)...on the left, I have trouble looking to that side of the screen without being distracted, but to the right it's not an issue (weird, I know, but just the way it is)

I run a close FOV, and the way my monitor is positioned directly behind my wheel base, sometimes the rim (especially if the car is bumping around on track) will semi obscure the in car display on the dash.
    I cannot bring the screen up higher because then I feel as if I'm looking up at it, rather than straight ahead, and that created some neck/back pain and some eye strain so I scrapped that idea a while ago.

Track maps, track position dots, virtual mirrors, anything else besides the HUD info that I can switch through (tires/damage, split times, all those things) I don't use.
    I like minimal stuff on screen.

More of a case of what I got used to than anything.

Would love to see rF2 develop the type of interface options AC has, where each onscreen display can be moved around, sized, etc...very easy to customize, and can be done on the fly without the need to exit the track and then come back to see how it looks.

Also, I can't ignore that big goofy shift/tact thing in the left corner.
    It's like a scratch or bump on the nose, once my eyes make contact with it, I cannot pretend to unsee it...then it just sits there, looking at me, watching me be distracted by it's big ugly face
    ...until I crash, because I'm driving around thinking all these things about why S397 cannot toss us a nice, aesthetically pleasing HUD.

Found a few lines about enter/leave announcements (that I must have overlooked) in the multiplayer file, but not sure it will alter anything in game..but will change and test this tonight and try to sort it to my liking.

Thanks for the feedback!
    jham likes this.

Scott Beck is offline Rothmans Racing

Here's my cockpit using SHQM Hud B.

GRAB_000.jpg
    Last edited by Scott Beck; 03-22-2018 at 07:30 PM.
    Jason Whited likes this.
    Scott Beck
    Rothmans Racing
    MNRL
    NARS
    GBR

wheeler is offline Steen Nielsen

I use the SHQM mod and the virtual mirrors - and that works fine. But I'm having problems with the adjustment of the car mirrors: I can't get them setup in an "angle" that works. Does anybody have a fix/suggestion?
    Jason Whited likes this.
    Steen Nielsen (aka. wheeler)

Tom Walkinshaw: "When black goes to green, you are in troubles..."

jham is offline Jerry Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
    I use the SHQM mod and the virtual mirrors - and that works fine. But I'm having problems with the adjustment of the car mirrors: I can't get them setup in an "angle" that works. Does anybody have a fix/suggestion?
    Doesn't SHIFT + (seat position keys) change the virtual mirrors like it changes the regular mirrors (up/down; left/right)?
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco