• 4 Post By Coutie
  • 1 Post By house382
  • 5 Post By Christopher Snow
  • 1 Post By Christopher Snow
  • 1 Post By heychris

Thread: VR in rF2

TimCollier is offline Senior Community Leader

Default VR in rF2

I can't recall if it was Alex or Colin, but one of you said you were running VR in the race at Road America last week....how did that go?

Can you elaborate on it? I've tried VR before back with the DK2, but only tried out LFS and Project Cars, then sold it before other sims adopted VR.

I have an Oculus Rift coming in today, and while I won't get around to messing with it till the weekend, was curious on your thoughts.

This goes for anyone else that's running VR in rF2 as well....let's hear it!
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-4790k @ 4Ghz | GPU: EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 6GB | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    | PSU: Silverstone ST1000-P 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz

Coutie is offline Member

It went pretty well, I led most of the race with no issues. Main problems right now are you have to look way off to the side to see fuel, position, etc. We need a VR hud, which I might try to make soon, but I've never made a hud before. Other than that, no issues.

house382 is offline Kyle House

I love my Rift. I would agree that the HUD could be pulled in a bit. With it being out that far though, it allows you to be immersed until you want\need to go looking for that information.
    TimCollier likes this.

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by house382 View Post
    I love my Rift. I would agree that the HUD could be pulled in a bit. With it being out that far though, it allows you to be immersed until you want\need to go looking for that information.
    CMS member Chris Hamilton, aka "heychris," made me a very nice gift of his seldom used Pimax4K VR HMD about two months back, but as yet I haven't got it working properly, other than having managed to watch one 3D short film. Like you, he preferred his Rift, which I imagine is part of why he was willing to send the Pimax on to me. I did buy a GTX 1080 Ti card to power it (with two HDMI connectors), so the higher res of the 4K (it really isn't) won't be a limiting factor, even if it eventually does run in 4K mode.

I'm putting together an order for some HDMI short cables and angle connectors which should make it all quite a bit easier to fiddle with. Right now it's hard to get it connected, so I'm still running my "go-to" projector rig (and was at Road America). Once I do get the Pimax working properly, I'll be comparing the two with sim-racing as the primary use, and rF2/rF1 as my sims of first choice (though I will also try them in several others too), and I'll write up a comparison review both for here, and for posting over at the 397 forum. Further updates as events warrant...

...and thanks again to Mr. Hamilton for even making it possible.

CS
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 08-22-2017 at 01:33 PM.
    TimCollier, heychris, jham and 2 others like this.

heychris is offline Chris Hamilton

So i just spent an hour racing around Hermanos in my P2 in VR....glorious...but i could use some help with changing the mirrors a little...

Ch
    CMS#52
    Chris Hamilton - Hamilton Motorsports Inc.

headed back out - trailing white smoke. I was hoping it was contrails and I was going faster...

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by heychris View Post
    So i just spent an hour racing around Hermanos in my P2 in VR....glorious...but i could use some help with changing the mirrors a little...

Ch
    CMS#52
    It seems there are issues with VR, some mods and the mirrors (I think only in DX11). You didn't say which mode you are using....

In any case, this thread at S-397 is probably your best bet for general issues: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.p....55249/page-34

...and it's constantly refreshed (therefore relatively current).

If you read back to posts by "Ricknau", #666-670 you may find some help. It seems with DX11 installing some mods might "fix" the mirrors in others.

Hope it helps.
    TimCollier likes this.

heychris is offline Chris Hamilton

Thanks Chris...

I have gotten my Rift to work but unfortunately the supersampling thru Oculus Tray tool is buggy AF and corrupted my Steam (VR the whole enchilada)...I think I found the solution to the mirror thing SHIFT+keys for seat...

Now that my vanilla VR is up and working the OTT isn't working at all (doesn't initialize) and so I am looking for a supersampling solution that works to improve my resolution in the goggles.

However...WHAT AN EXPERIENCE...just did VIR in the Rift and it was really amazing and felt super natural (at least when I wasn't fighting turning my head after using 1 monitor for so long)

Hope the Pimax is working out for you...saw somewhere that peeps were using DK2 Oculus software with it...

Cheers
    Ch
    CMS #52

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    TimCollier likes this.
    Chris Hamilton - Hamilton Motorsports Inc.

headed back out - trailing white smoke. I was hoping it was contrails and I was going faster...